Room presence using fitbit

Hey all,

Has anyone been successful getting room presence detection using fitbits? I’ve tried a few, the latest using room-assistant and i cant seem to get it working with my fitbit. I dont really know much about the underlying technology (bluetooth low energy), i suspect its more to do with my fitbit rather than the software. But I’ve only been able to get it to detect my fitbit a few times (when it does it’s generally 45+ minutes before it does).

I’ve seen a few others (just heard about find3) but most of them scan for phones, which is not ideal for my situation (i dont always carry it while at home).

Not sure it matters, but i’m testing with a raspberry pi zero w. Maybe i need more, but i currently only have 1 (i plan on getting several assuming my testing goes well).

I actually saw something really interesting yesterday.

These devices do tracking and act as a switch/dimmer that can be mounted behind a socket.
Pretty impressive to get correct rooms with such a small example

I looked at it using [monitor] Reliable, Multi-User, Distributed Bluetooth Occupancy/Presence Detection , but couldn’t get it to work. I guess it’s not as simple as it looks

Works with home assistant too:

It’s BLE though. So limited range.

As far as I understand they require four of them before they can be used as room trackers so the limited range is probably not that much of an issue.

There is also a “USB charger” shaped version.