Router Quality

So I am getting some Hue bulbs to fix some router issues. If I have cheaper routers nearby (just accept this conclusions for now), the mesh should see the better router’s superior metrics and just settle on routing nearby “dumb” devices (i.e.–Sengled bulbs) through the Hue devices, correct?

I wouldn’t be buying Hue unless they revert this decision:

They should. Though I’ve had end devices that seem to just pick random nearby routers when paired.

1 Like

But the bulbs are Zigbee – I don’t plan on using their app at all. You think they will design hardware that will not function unless you use their app?

Then why not another manufacturer? Plenty around that are much more economical.

In theory.

In practice, generally the end device chooses what router to use. The “cheaper” router may report good numbers look better to end devices, even if not really the case. You don’t have any real control. Some devices can be very “sticky” to the current router, some change with the breeze.

The stronger the mesh in general the better, but you will have some routes that don’t make sense.

1 Like

Yes, generally the more Zigbee Router devices you add the better your Zigbee network mesh will work, just be sure that they always have power to remain permanently connected (as a mistake many make is connecting a Zigbee lightbulb without removing the dumb switch which someone then turn off and on). Highly recommend you read and follow this → Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference and optimize for getting better range + coverage

Tip is to add a few “known good” dedicated Zigbee Router devices and personally I can recommend buying a few IKEA TRÅDFRI Signal Repeater and Aeotec Range Extender Zi.

For the best you can get recommend to make yourself some semi-DIY Zigbee Router devices by buying and flashing the correct Zigbee Router firmware to good Zigbee Coordinator USB dongles and then using them as stand-alone Zigbee Signal Repeater devices in USB-chargers for power, like, for example, either the Sonoff ZBDongle-E (EFR32MG21 based) or the Sonoff ZBDongle-P (CC2652P) work great as dedicated stand-alone Zigbee Signal Repeaters when using Zigbee Router firmware.

Again see this for even better suggestions and more recommendations → Guide for Zigbee interference avoidance and network range/coverage optimization

1 Like

Thanks, I just bought the Sonoff one. Didn’t even realize I could use it as a repeater.

I needed most reputable with highest quality that was easily available on Amazon. They won.