RPi as Z-Wave/ZigBee-over-IP server for Hass

Oops… Well for idiots like me installing the client on debian is done with sudo apt install usbip

2 Likes

Is there a way to re-write the service definition to support situations where server is rebooted, or the client is rebooted? With my current setup I often have to log back into the server to restart the service. Would love this to be able to survive a reboot of either server or client.

The service definition should still work, all you have to do is enable the service instead of starting it. use this and add the name of the service

sudo systemctl enable SERVICE

Hello i try to share bluetooth dongle from a linux box
to the HA OS VM inside synology ds918+ nas.

First i tryed to do it with two linux boxes : OK

now i try to do the same process with HA OS VM (synology ds918+ nas) as client :

I am stuck at this step :
sudo vi /lib/systemd/system/usbip.service

there is no /lib/systemd folder :

help please :slight_smile:

This looks like exactly what I need to connect my skyconnect in another part of the house! I’m running HASSIO in docker however, so I’m not sure how I can access the host via ssh in order to execute those client side commands. Is this possible in my scenario?

Hi All,

I’m having some trouble on the Client side of this project. I’ve got HA running on a VM in my Unraid system, and I’m accessing the command line through the built-in QEMU VNC viewer.

I can get into the Vi editor, but when I go to save using :wq, I get a message stating that it’s a read-only file system.

Anyone gotten that error and found a way around it? I believe I’m logged in as root (I see a # on the command line).

Edit: for anyone looking at this later, what I was suggested to do is to map the USB over IP on the host machine instead (in my case an Unraid server). I then needed to “attach” the remote USB connection, then I could pass it through to my Home Assistant VM. It worked!

I tried going the same route you did. HA OS doesn’t have the ability to do usbip. The kernel has usbip modules, but you can’t directly access them from hassos.

You will eventually get a message like:
libusbip: debug: vhci_driver.c:376:[usbip_vhci_attach_device2] write_sysfs_attribute failed

This is because the /sys/devices/platform/vhci_hcd.0/attach is readonly.