RTIMU installation in Hassbian 1.1

Hi I am struggling to install senseHAT (https://home-assistant.io/components/sensor.sensehat/). In particular, the library named ‘RTIMU’ which should be installed as the pi user, but then isn’t found (I created the symbolic link as described in the link)

(homeassistant) homeassistant@hassbian:/home/pi $ pip3 install rtimulib
Collecting rtimulib
  Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement rtimulib (from versions: )
No matching distribution found for rtimulib

Should the installation of RTIMU be different under Hassbian?
Cheers

After a solution posted in a bug forum, closed just 7 days ago (https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/5093), I, like you, found myself unable to perform the steps required. I seem to have found a way around it, however. Instead of using the pip3 install command as suggested, I wound up using the build from the apt repository (and forgive me the terminology, I’m not terribly familiar with Debian)

sudo apt-get install python3-rtimulib

doing that plus any other prerequisites it requires. I still got errors, so I went hog wild and just did a ‘sudo apt-get install sense-hat’ for good measure, but I think that there was another error in documentation. I also had to make an adjustment to WHERE I put the symlink into the virtual environment. Specifically

ln -s /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/RTIMU.cpython-34m-arm-linux-gnueabihf.so /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.4/site-packages/

And now after adding the relevant configuration.yaml entries in from the sense hat component page, and wincing at the startup errors from Home Assistant, I have sensors reading data.

Hopefully this helps out.

Excellent that worked for me too, thanks!

Just to add for completeness, I had an issue with the latest version of pillow not installing and solved by
pip install pillow==2.9.0

Ah yes. I think in my case, my wandering research lead me to need to install libjpeg-dev via apt-get, since it hadn’t been on there.

That solved my pillow install problem instead of requesting a specific version of it.