RV 12V Lighting Control - with Dimmer Switch control

Potentiometer vs rotatory encoder. both have their own uses.

===================================================

Here is complete circuit, working without any issues with wled. for esphome just need to flash with esphome and use the above code. there are some extra wires. circuit is simple

1 Like

Would you install a rotary encoder in your home as a dimmer switch? I need something a bit more elegant than this.

Actually for many many years dimmers in homes were rotary like this and yes I prefer a knob to pressing a button for dimming (or volume control for that matter). So yes i’d fill my home with them. Knobs are easy to buy.

But push button is possible too. Typically

Short press - toggle on/off
Long press - dim up, once full brightness, another long press to dim down.

Very do-able in esphome. I have seen this implemented in this forum.

I am already using one in one of my aquarium controller based on esphome.

I’m liking this solution. I have 2 rooms in my camper that have 4 bulb LEDs, each set (of 4) are currently controlled by a On/Off rocker switch.

Do you step down the power for the ESP32 or are you running off 12V? I would assume the 12V (at the switch) should be pretty regulated for the LEDs already but not sure about long-term effect of running the ESP at that voltage.

I use 5V for esp32.

1 Like

Thank you. I was able to get it wired, programmed, and working with ESPHome. Super excited. On my next trip I’ll examine how I can mount this into the 2 places I so dearly need it.

Rotary encoders come in all sorts of sizes and styles. When you hear “rotary encoder” your only thinking of the small cheap ones you find in Arduino kits. Those things are just meant to be used in a breadboard and its a generic term like “light switch” There isnt just one to choose from.