Sage Zigbee Doorbell Sensor

Thank you very much. Just updated the Zigbee2Mqtt to the latest 1.14 and the Doorbell sensor is working perfectly.

Thank you very much.

1 Like

So I caved and did some research myself because I don’t have a zigbee controller compatible with zigbee2mqtt. I found a solution for ZHA based on the URL below:

1. Change the logger to debug for zha:
logger:
  default: error
  logs:
    homeassistant.components.zha: debug
  1. Restart home assistant

2. Once restarted, go to “Developer Tools > Events > Listen to events”. Set “Event to subscribe to” to zha_event and click “Start Listening”. Press the doorbell. You should see a message like this:

{
    "event_type": "zha_event",
    "data": {
        "device_ieee": "00:08:89:00:01:d4:a5:79",
        "unique_id": "00:08:89:00:01:d4:a5:79:18:0x0006",
        "endpoint_id": 18,
        "cluster_id": 6,
        "command": "on",
        "args": []
    },
    "origin": "LOCAL",
    "time_fired": "2020-07-20T23:39:39.179450+00:00",
    "context": {
        "id": "adb05b67cd464ac9be093224a5b74d0e",
        "parent_id": null,
        "user_id": null
    }
}
  1. Create an automation that uses the identified event. You will need the device_ieee and the unique_id from the previous step. It should look something like this:
  id: '1595288207509'
  alias: Doorbell Automation Test
  description: ''
  trigger:
  - event_data:
      command: 'on'
      device_ieee: 00:08:89:00:01:d4:a5:79
      platform: event
      unique_id: 00:08:89:00:01:d4:a5:79:18:0x0006
    event_type: zha_event
    platform: event
  condition: []
  action:
  - data: {}
    entity_id: switch.inovelli_unknown_type_0004_id_0001_switch_3
    service: switch.turn_on

I was hoping to build a sensor from this but I can’t find a solution. If I come across something I’ll let you guys know. It also seems odd that I have to set the device to debug mode to see zha_events. I’m sure there is a reason but I’m not a developer for the system so idk.

Just for info…
I have a solution based on zigbee2mqtt and a Aquara DJT11LM motion sensor stick on my doorbell.
That simple…
More info if needed

Hi, It just installed the SAGE doorbell sensor on a AC Friedland doorbell model D117 ( DingDong).
The doorbell is connected to a Friedland doorbell transformator D770 8V - 0,5A.
I connected the Sage Green wire to terminal 0 (first doorbell) and the Sage White wire to the terminal T (Common).
Since I don’t have an extra backdoor bell, I left the Sage yellow wire unconnected.
I then paired it succesfully with ZHA (it’s the default Zigbee integration running on Home Assistant).
Zigbee controller is a tasmota flashed Sonoff Zigbee Bridge.
The doorbell get’s recognized as “Echostar Bell”, I then added a first automation to alert me me of the included “First button” button pressed Trigger available on the device.
I notice I don’t get a trigger when I press the doorbell. If I sometimes press 2 times fast I get the notification.
My question : what is the requested minimum AC voltage/current for this sensor the “see” a doorbell press.
My current transfo is 8V AC (0,5A). Is this to low ? Do I need a higher voltage transfo ?

My Friedland doorbell model D117 has 8-16V AC or 6V DC (batteries), max. 15 Watt connection.
Maybe I should replace my AC transfo with a 12V 0,5 A or 1 A ?
Hopefully this will also give a louder dingdong sound since it’s pretty low now.

It is also one of my issue. I can’t find much information on how to create a binary sensor out of the event it generates. Also, one issue being that this device can send multiple events for one ring. Especially if it is a long one. So even if I was able to create a binary sensor out of it, I would need to filter those repeated events.

edit: I replaced the trafo with a 12V AC 1,5A model and now the sage doorbell module “sees” every doorbell press :slight_smile:
Doorpress launches an event, it can’t be that hard to link a input_boolean to that event for your binary sensor ? Just set the boolean on doorbell press and reset the boolean after x sec (both with a HA automation)

1 Like

Yeah that could be a way to do it. Not terribly clean but yeah that would be one solution. Ideally it would have been with a binary sensor.

You’re running at 4VAC, that’s definitely too low. For a mechanical doorbell you should go for a 18-24VAC transformer. I use a 24VAC transf. with the SAGE since 2y with an EZVIZ DB1, it works great, but you need a good transformer. It will also solve your loudness issue.

Here’s my automation (I use ZHA) for Doorbell announcement through Alexa, plus a mobile notification. There’s a delay: 10 that throttles the multiple events coming from SAGE. It’s working perfectly since 2 days. The SAGE is managed like a 2 button switch, one button for each input. I only use one.

alias: Doorbell Alexa Announcement
description: 'automation: doorbell/alexa/mobile'
trigger:
  - device_id: 3c63c79617fd138533bd5fe7472a18f7
    domain: zha
    platform: device
    type: remote_button_short_press
    subtype: button_1
condition: []
action:
  - device_id: f54a02af11b8f01662c0a8fd8c095540
    domain: mobile_app
    type: notify
    title: Doorbell DB1
  - service: notify.alexa_media
    data_template:
      target:
        - media_player.cucina
        - media_player.camera_genitori
        - media_player.bagno_genitori
        - media_player.camera_bimbe
        - media_player.portico
        - media_player.locale_caldaia
        - media_player.mansarda
      data:
        type: tts
  - delay: '10'
mode: single

The only problem I have with the current driver is that the battery level of the SAGE is not being reported.

I’m new to HA, I just migrated all my sensors/devices/buttons/switches/lights (zigbee/z-wave/wifi) from Hubitat to HA, and started porting my automation scripts. Lot to learn, lot of fun. :slight_smile:

Ciao,

Alessandro

1 Like

Has anyone successfully been able to pair the SAGE DoorBell with the ConBee II and get it into Home Assistant?
Mine showed up in Phoscon like this (automatically):

And I can see it in deConz:

And also it is found in the REST-API:

{
    "config": {
        "group": "19",
        "on": true,
        "reachable": true
    },
    "ep": 18,
    "etag": "cff7bbecb8156fcbfe4845d421e19f5a",
    "lastseen": "2021-03-20T20:34Z",
    "manufacturername": "Echostar",
    "mode": 1,
    "modelid": "Bell",
    "name": "Doorbell Sensor",
    "state": {
        "buttonevent": null,
        "lastupdated": "none"
    },
    "swversion": "3.2.2",
    "type": "ZHASwitch",
    "uniqueid": "00:08:89:00:01:d9:af:d2-12-0006"
}

It is listed as a device in HA, but with no entities. Listening to deconz_events in HA produces nothing, even though I have checked with my voltmeter that pressing the doorbell button sends approx 22VDC to the green wire with the white connected to ground.
So, what am I missing ?

Of the top of my head I thought the unit needs AC to switch not DC?

That could well be, but wouldn’t you expect it to be “reachable” independent of whether it has been switched or not?
The strange thing is that in the REST-API it says reachable: ture, while Phoscon says “Not reachable”.
And as long as the item doesn’t show in HA (only the device shows), there isn’t much to be done.
Do you have one that works?

I’m using the standard zigbee integration and that sees the device but have no entries in the driver it uses. I can see the press in the event logs

Hi all, can someone help me please? I have installed a Sage Doorbell sensor and linked it to Zigbee2MQTT, using Mosquitto as the broker. In node red, I have successfully connected a debug node to the entity and it is getting messages through. What is worrying me is that without pressing the doorbell button, I am getting a constant stream of messages from the sensor. They look like this (repeated over and over, several times per second).

“{“action”:“on”,“linkquality”:44}”
01/04/2021, 14:09:04node: de75a021.ad3b58
zigbee2mqtt/switch.doorbell : msg.payload : string[30]

“{“action”:”",“linkquality”:44}"
zigbee2mqtt/switch.doorbell : msg.payload : string[32]

“{“action”:“on”,“linkquality”:44}”
zigbee2mqtt/switch.doorbell : msg.payload : string[30]

“{“action”:”",“linkquality”:44}"
zigbee2mqtt/switch.doorbell : msg.payload : string[32]

Is this normal? If not, what do I need to do to fix it?

Thanks

I’ve managed to add the sensor in to home assistant using a trigger-based template sensor (HA running in a VM on my server and conbee stick on RPI using deCONZ integration). The sensor listens for the event (much like an automation) but controls a binary sensor for “on”. I’ve also included a time based off function, so that if someone repeatedly presses the door bell, it only triggers the sensor on once (this is adjustable).

I’ve added the following to my config file:

template:
  - trigger:
    - platform: event
      event_type: deconz_event
      event_data:
        id: doorbell_sensor
        unique_id: '00:12:34:00:12:34:56:78'
        event: 1002
        device_id: ##random alphnumeric string##
    binary_sensor:
      - name: "Door bell"
        state: "on"
        auto_off:
          seconds: 10

To find the event data, check the “EVENTS” in the developer tools and in Event to subscribe to use “deconz_event”. Make sure that the sensor is attached and connected to your conbee and press the door bell a few times. You should then see the event and data required for the above template.

Adjust auto_off for the time out to reset the sensor back to “off”. You should now have a binary sensor available in home assistant for further automation, etc.

Unfortunately, no battery information, but hopefully will see this sensor integrated in the future.

2 Likes

I’ve just installed this sensor with an Ezviz DB1C video doorbell. It was detected by the ZHA integration, and it is listed as:

[sensor.echostar_bell_c1eed901_power]

But when I try listening to zha_event I get nothing when I press the doorbell. I also don’t see zha_event listed on the “Available Events” list on the right of the Events screen - should it be listed?
Edit: I’m using the Sonoff Zigbee bridge (flashed with Tasmota), and the sensor is showing zero battery voltage (and a battery size of “No battery”. Is this normal?
So I just tried adding an automation for the Sage sensor, triggered by First Button Press, but it doesn’t get triggered when I press the doorbell.
The doorbell does is not connected to a mechanical chime, but is paired with an Ezviz wireless chime. I’ve connected the Sage sensor to the DB1C setup as per the attached diagram.
Any idea why I’m not getting triggers from the Sage sensor?

I am also struggling on getting this Sage doorbell sensor working with ZHA. i have numerous Xiaomi and Tradri zigbee devices; all working perfectly from HUSBZB USB stick.

It paired but the only entity is the un-supported power entity. Nothing for on or off like a binary sensor I am expecting. neither turning on debug logging for zha or subscribing to zha_event in Developer Tools menu shows anything…dead silence.

I’m running HA core-2021.8.8

If it helps, here is the Zigbee device signature

{
  "node_descriptor": "NodeDescriptor(logical_type=<LogicalType.EndDevice: 2>, complex_descriptor_available=0, user_descriptor_available=1, reserved=0, aps_flags=0, frequency_band=<FrequencyBand.Freq2400MHz: 8>, mac_capability_flags=<MACCapabilityFlags.AllocateAddress: 128>, manufacturer_code=4116, maximum_buffer_size=89, maximum_incoming_transfer_size=61, server_mask=0, maximum_outgoing_transfer_size=61, descriptor_capability_field=<DescriptorCapability.NONE: 0>, *allocate_address=True, *is_alternate_pan_coordinator=False, *is_coordinator=False, *is_end_device=True, *is_full_function_device=False, *is_mains_powered=False, *is_receiver_on_when_idle=False, *is_router=False, *is_security_capable=False)",
  "endpoints": {
    "18": {
      "profile_id": 260,
      "device_type": "0x0000",
      "in_clusters": [
        "0x0000",
        "0x0001",
        "0x0003",
        "0x0009"
      ],
      "out_clusters": [
        "0x0003",
        "0x0006",
        "0x0008",
        "0x0019"
      ]
    }
  },
  "manufacturer": " Echostar",
  "model": "   Bell",
  "class": "zhaquirks.echostar.bell.Bell"
}

appreciate any advice

1 Like

It’s a small world, isn’t it? :wink:

1. The battery info is not reported, it’s a limitation of the fw of the device, check the discussion with zigpy devs here:
  2. I see from the schema you use a 12V transformer, on the ipcamtalk forum I adviced to use a 24V one, because 12V transformers often are not enough for DB1+chime or DB1+SAGE.
  3. Did you configure the DB1 to use the Digital/Electronic Chime? If you configured no chime, the DB1 will never trigger the SAGE, so you won’t see anything in HA.
  4. If you want to simulate a ring, open the sage, remove and reinsert the battery, when the SAGE restarts it will trigger the ring event, so if you have your automation ready you will see the event. Or listen for the event in dev tools.

If you want to automate the sensor, when you create an automation, choose the device and in the listbox of the Trigger you’ll see “First button” pressed and “Second button” pressed, because the SAGE has two inputs, but you connected (correctly) only the first one, so use “First button”. Basically, the SAGE is represented as a 2 button switch.

A few posts above you’ll see the code of the automation I’m using: Sage Zigbee Doorbell Sensor - #15 by alexdelprete

I’ll tag also @jht3 that asked for advices.

@alexdelprete

i know you didn’t respond directly to me but i’m jumping in

i am powering my doorbell, a RCA HSDB2A, so very similar to the DB1 @itm1960 is using, with what i believe to be a 16V transformer. I say believe, because I can’t actually find it and i have spend HOURS looking for it. i did check the voltage w/ a multimeter and IIRC that is what I saw too. however i fear it doesn’t supply enough current to power both the manual chime AND the video doorbell. i can see the chime striker twitch when pushing the bell button, but not enough to strike the plate.

however, the Sage powers up just fine since ZHA can pair with it…mostly. i still have the mechanical chime connected, and the doorbell configured for a mechanical chime. i want to retain the mechanical chime for others in the house, but if I can get the sage working, i’d consider ditching it and repeating a doorbell .mp3 through my various squeezebox or alexa devices.

i did what you recommend in #3, and never saw an event anywhere. the red indicator on the Sage does blink many times during this.

i do have a new 16V 30va transformer i could rig up on a test bench, to test your theory about the voltage or current requirements. just going to take time to pull the hsdb2 and wire it all up.

Trust me, it’s not theories, there are tens of users in a dedicated thread on ipcamtalk with which we experimented and solved a lot of issues: 90% of the times, it was the 12/16V transformers not being adequate, expecially if used with mechanical chimes.

Have a read of the FAQ we prepared with some friends over there: https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/new-rca-hsdb2a-3mp-doorbell-ip-camera.31601/post-412577

An abstract regarding transformers:

Transformers; this is one of the big questions with Smart Doorbells, what size do I need or do I even need to change it at all? Well it is all up to your existing Transformer and Chime, there are many different brands of Transformers all putting out different voltages/loads than what their label states. It will be hit or miss if your Transformer can handle the extra Load created by the Smart Doorbell (when the Doorbell button is pushed). There are two types of Chimes out there, Mechanical and Digital and many brands. Most here tried their existing transformers first, if they had problems with the Chime not working properly, Doorbell randomly disconnecting from the network, random reboots, etc., they changed theirs out. The general rule is, if your existing transformer is 16v then replace with 16v, if 24v then buy a 24v (Some have reported going from 16v to 24v increased their Chime volume). But what needs to increase to fix the above stated problems is the Volts/Amps (va), since your Smart Doorbell requires constant power (which is not a problem since your Chime uses no power until your Doorbell button is pushed) the Smart Doorbell will increase the Load, which depending on your Chime, may or may not work properly. Several owners here are using their 16v 10va with no problems, mine worked also with no problems. But if you have problems, 16v 30va or 24v 30va is a common replacement, you could use a 40va too.

Summary; By adding a Smart Doorbell to an existing Doorbell/Chime system, pressing the new Smart Doorbell button will now increase the Load so in most cases you need a transformer that can handle this increased draw/load, this is why you would go with a higher rated (va) transformer.

For Mechanical Chimes, here is a video to help explain transformers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUO7o_vrEMw

1 Like

If you pull out the battery and put it back in the SAGE, do you see an event? If you don’t, it’s not sending it, or it’s not correctly paired. Power-cycling the SAGE always generates an event. I use it since more than a year and spent countless hours making it work, and it does work if properly configured.

Regarding #3: you said you use a mechanical chime, the advice I gave was because he wants to use only the SAGE, without a chime, if I understood correctly. In your case, you have to configure the Doorbell with mechanical chime, and make sure the transformer is enough and that you wired everything correctly.

Anyway, on that thread on ipcamtalk you’ll find all the help you need by people that faced many of your issues.