Sage Zigbee Doorbell Sensor

I’ve managed to add the sensor in to home assistant using a trigger-based template sensor (HA running in a VM on my server and conbee stick on RPI using deCONZ integration). The sensor listens for the event (much like an automation) but controls a binary sensor for “on”. I’ve also included a time based off function, so that if someone repeatedly presses the door bell, it only triggers the sensor on once (this is adjustable).

I’ve added the following to my config file:

template:
  - trigger:
    - platform: event
      event_type: deconz_event
      event_data:
        id: doorbell_sensor
        unique_id: '00:12:34:00:12:34:56:78'
        event: 1002
        device_id: ##random alphnumeric string##
    binary_sensor:
      - name: "Door bell"
        state: "on"
        auto_off:
          seconds: 10

To find the event data, check the “EVENTS” in the developer tools and in Event to subscribe to use “deconz_event”. Make sure that the sensor is attached and connected to your conbee and press the door bell a few times. You should then see the event and data required for the above template.

Adjust auto_off for the time out to reset the sensor back to “off”. You should now have a binary sensor available in home assistant for further automation, etc.

Unfortunately, no battery information, but hopefully will see this sensor integrated in the future.

2 Likes

I’ve just installed this sensor with an Ezviz DB1C video doorbell. It was detected by the ZHA integration, and it is listed as:

[sensor.echostar_bell_c1eed901_power]

But when I try listening to zha_event I get nothing when I press the doorbell. I also don’t see zha_event listed on the “Available Events” list on the right of the Events screen - should it be listed?
Edit: I’m using the Sonoff Zigbee bridge (flashed with Tasmota), and the sensor is showing zero battery voltage (and a battery size of “No battery”. Is this normal?
So I just tried adding an automation for the Sage sensor, triggered by First Button Press, but it doesn’t get triggered when I press the doorbell.
The doorbell does is not connected to a mechanical chime, but is paired with an Ezviz wireless chime. I’ve connected the Sage sensor to the DB1C setup as per the attached diagram.
Any idea why I’m not getting triggers from the Sage sensor?

I am also struggling on getting this Sage doorbell sensor working with ZHA. i have numerous Xiaomi and Tradri zigbee devices; all working perfectly from HUSBZB USB stick.

It paired but the only entity is the un-supported power entity. Nothing for on or off like a binary sensor I am expecting. neither turning on debug logging for zha or subscribing to zha_event in Developer Tools menu shows anything…dead silence.

I’m running HA core-2021.8.8

If it helps, here is the Zigbee device signature

{
  "node_descriptor": "NodeDescriptor(logical_type=<LogicalType.EndDevice: 2>, complex_descriptor_available=0, user_descriptor_available=1, reserved=0, aps_flags=0, frequency_band=<FrequencyBand.Freq2400MHz: 8>, mac_capability_flags=<MACCapabilityFlags.AllocateAddress: 128>, manufacturer_code=4116, maximum_buffer_size=89, maximum_incoming_transfer_size=61, server_mask=0, maximum_outgoing_transfer_size=61, descriptor_capability_field=<DescriptorCapability.NONE: 0>, *allocate_address=True, *is_alternate_pan_coordinator=False, *is_coordinator=False, *is_end_device=True, *is_full_function_device=False, *is_mains_powered=False, *is_receiver_on_when_idle=False, *is_router=False, *is_security_capable=False)",
  "endpoints": {
    "18": {
      "profile_id": 260,
      "device_type": "0x0000",
      "in_clusters": [
        "0x0000",
        "0x0001",
        "0x0003",
        "0x0009"
      ],
      "out_clusters": [
        "0x0003",
        "0x0006",
        "0x0008",
        "0x0019"
      ]
    }
  },
  "manufacturer": " Echostar",
  "model": "   Bell",
  "class": "zhaquirks.echostar.bell.Bell"
}

appreciate any advice

1 Like

It’s a small world, isn’t it? :wink:

1. The battery info is not reported, it’s a limitation of the fw of the device, check the discussion with zigpy devs here:
  2. I see from the schema you use a 12V transformer, on the ipcamtalk forum I adviced to use a 24V one, because 12V transformers often are not enough for DB1+chime or DB1+SAGE.
  3. Did you configure the DB1 to use the Digital/Electronic Chime? If you configured no chime, the DB1 will never trigger the SAGE, so you won’t see anything in HA.
  4. If you want to simulate a ring, open the sage, remove and reinsert the battery, when the SAGE restarts it will trigger the ring event, so if you have your automation ready you will see the event. Or listen for the event in dev tools.

If you want to automate the sensor, when you create an automation, choose the device and in the listbox of the Trigger you’ll see “First button” pressed and “Second button” pressed, because the SAGE has two inputs, but you connected (correctly) only the first one, so use “First button”. Basically, the SAGE is represented as a 2 button switch.

A few posts above you’ll see the code of the automation I’m using: Sage Zigbee Doorbell Sensor - #15 by alexdelprete

I’ll tag also @jht3 that asked for advices.

@alexdelprete

i know you didn’t respond directly to me but i’m jumping in

i am powering my doorbell, a RCA HSDB2A, so very similar to the DB1 @itm1960 is using, with what i believe to be a 16V transformer. I say believe, because I can’t actually find it and i have spend HOURS looking for it. i did check the voltage w/ a multimeter and IIRC that is what I saw too. however i fear it doesn’t supply enough current to power both the manual chime AND the video doorbell. i can see the chime striker twitch when pushing the bell button, but not enough to strike the plate.

however, the Sage powers up just fine since ZHA can pair with it…mostly. i still have the mechanical chime connected, and the doorbell configured for a mechanical chime. i want to retain the mechanical chime for others in the house, but if I can get the sage working, i’d consider ditching it and repeating a doorbell .mp3 through my various squeezebox or alexa devices.

i did what you recommend in #3, and never saw an event anywhere. the red indicator on the Sage does blink many times during this.

i do have a new 16V 30va transformer i could rig up on a test bench, to test your theory about the voltage or current requirements. just going to take time to pull the hsdb2 and wire it all up.

Trust me, it’s not theories, there are tens of users in a dedicated thread on ipcamtalk with which we experimented and solved a lot of issues: 90% of the times, it was the 12/16V transformers not being adequate, expecially if used with mechanical chimes.

Have a read of the FAQ we prepared with some friends over there: https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/new-rca-hsdb2a-3mp-doorbell-ip-camera.31601/post-412577

An abstract regarding transformers:

Transformers; this is one of the big questions with Smart Doorbells, what size do I need or do I even need to change it at all? Well it is all up to your existing Transformer and Chime, there are many different brands of Transformers all putting out different voltages/loads than what their label states. It will be hit or miss if your Transformer can handle the extra Load created by the Smart Doorbell (when the Doorbell button is pushed). There are two types of Chimes out there, Mechanical and Digital and many brands. Most here tried their existing transformers first, if they had problems with the Chime not working properly, Doorbell randomly disconnecting from the network, random reboots, etc., they changed theirs out. The general rule is, if your existing transformer is 16v then replace with 16v, if 24v then buy a 24v (Some have reported going from 16v to 24v increased their Chime volume). But what needs to increase to fix the above stated problems is the Volts/Amps (va), since your Smart Doorbell requires constant power (which is not a problem since your Chime uses no power until your Doorbell button is pushed) the Smart Doorbell will increase the Load, which depending on your Chime, may or may not work properly. Several owners here are using their 16v 10va with no problems, mine worked also with no problems. But if you have problems, 16v 30va or 24v 30va is a common replacement, you could use a 40va too.

Summary; By adding a Smart Doorbell to an existing Doorbell/Chime system, pressing the new Smart Doorbell button will now increase the Load so in most cases you need a transformer that can handle this increased draw/load, this is why you would go with a higher rated (va) transformer.

For Mechanical Chimes, here is a video to help explain transformers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUO7o_vrEMw

1 Like

If you pull out the battery and put it back in the SAGE, do you see an event? If you don’t, it’s not sending it, or it’s not correctly paired. Power-cycling the SAGE always generates an event. I use it since more than a year and spent countless hours making it work, and it does work if properly configured.

Regarding #3: you said you use a mechanical chime, the advice I gave was because he wants to use only the SAGE, without a chime, if I understood correctly. In your case, you have to configure the Doorbell with mechanical chime, and make sure the transformer is enough and that you wired everything correctly.

Anyway, on that thread on ipcamtalk you’ll find all the help you need by people that faced many of your issues.

FWIW I eventually connected the DB1C with a mechanical chime as well as the Sage Zigbee Sensor. I had a couple of problems before I finally got everything working:

1. I tried 3 different transformers before I found one that would power the DB1C as well as the Sage Sensor (even without the mechanical chime). The first was a 16V 1A unit, the 2nd was a 24V 2A unit. The one which eventually worked was an Ezviz branded 24V 1A unit which I found on eBay. I have no idea why this one worked and not the previous 24V 1A transformer, but it did.
  2. During the course of getting everything to work the Sage Sensor had gone offline, and I had alot of trouble re-pairing it (with a Sonoff Zigbee Bridge). I was only able to re-pair it after disconnecting it from the doorbell circuit, repeatedly removing and replacing the battery in the sensor and pressing the reset button while doing so. I must have done this more than 10 times before the Sonoff Bridge detected it again.
    When I reset the DB1C I actually selected the electronic chime option, but it seems to work OK with the mechanical chime, as well as triggering the Sage Sensor. I only got it working 2-3 days ago, so I have no idea how robust it will be, but for now I have a mechanical chime and mp3 alerts being sounded on my Google Home devices.

Glad that you sorted it out finally. The quality of the transformer is important, many transformers claim some specs but when you measure/test them, particularly the cheaper ones, they fall short. I used a Vemer VN320800 since I found out about the transformer problem, and never had an issue due to power since then. It’s a continuous service transformer, important characteristic for this specific use case, you can use it as a 12V/40VA or 24V/40VA, I found it stable for the DB1+SAGE at 24V:

First you should unpair it from HA, while you still see it connected, the zigbee controller will actually send a msg and the device will know it’s unpaired and put itself in pairing mode again. In order to reset it properly: pull out the battery, keep the reset button pushed, insert the battery while keeping the reset button pushed until the red led starts flashing (takes 5s if I remember correctly), then release the reset button, the SAGE will be back to factory default and in pairing mode. Then you start the usual pairing process.

True, it works with both, but if you use ONLY the SAGE, without a real chime, we found out that it’s more reliable configuring it as an Electronic Chime in DB1 settings. I think the DB1 uses a different way to power up the chime when configured as Electronic vs Mechanical, and if they put offer an option about that, there should be a specific reason, that unfortunately is not documented, but the SAGE is an electonic device, so if used to replace the physical chime, it’s more appropriate to choose that option.

Enjoy your automated doorbell.

@alexdelprete
oh, i’ve read that monster thread on ipcamtalk. took me over a year on and off!

when i pull the battery, i don’t see an event. i suspect it isn’t correctly paired, but it DOES show up as a device in ZHA. it would be easier if this device showed up in HA with another entity besides the non-functional power. one that showed on and off states.

the problem i have is i literally cannot find the transformer that powers my doorbell and chime. i’ve been looking for it for 2 years. at the chime i have wires from the transformer and wires to the bell. i’ve looked in the attic above the door/foyer and in the basement…no such luck.

sounds like i have to rig up a test bed just to see if this sage sensor will report status properly. i have a 16V bell transformer that many Ring users like, and an old 24V irrigation transformer. won’t help as i can’t replace the one buried in my house :frowning:

Re. the pairing of the Sage Sensor with HA: it was showing as offline, and I couldn’t get it to re-connected no matter how many times I removed and replaced the battery. So eventually I had to delete the device from the HA ZHA integration. I then followed the re-pairing instructions exactly as you said (battery out, press reset button, battery in, wait for red flashing LED, release reset button). I had to repeat this ALOT of times before it would re-pair.

For me it’s flawless, I re-paired it 3 times because I changed 3 zigbee controllers, and last 2 times I paired it from the external gate, that is 35mt from the controller, one shot and it’s paired. Very reliable device. The only thing that bothers me is that the battery information is missing in its firmware.

Hmmm…interesting. Maybe it’s the Sonoff Zigbee Bridge that’s the problem?

I used the Sonoff for a period, with Tasmota, and I don’t remember particular issues with the SAGE.

Okay, i’ve been reading here but can’t find answer to whole of my thinking.
I’ve got EZviz DB1 with Hik firmware. I’m using Honeywell dc915scv wireless doorbell with it, connected using power pack. I’ve got everything via 24V AC transformer, ~1A if i remember right.
Now i would like to add Sage Doorbell sensor.
Do i need 2nd power pack for it? If yes, can i use Power pack from other brands like ring? (i’ve got one spare Ring power pack left over)

When i was trying to build my own AC relay based ‘doorbell grabber’ it did work, but WITHOUT honeywell wireless doorbell in the circuit. When i connected both i couldn’t get it to work at all, that’s why I’m concerned…

You don’t need a second power pack with Sage Doorbell sensor. It got it own internal batter and designed to detect a closed contact to send trigger to the hub.

I have a EZVIZ DB1 doorbell with a mechanical chime but I use Hubitat hub and it should work similar with HA hub.

So any advice how do I connect it? Paralel to honeywell or just serial in circuit anywhere between power transformer and ezviz? I have not ordered it yet, just wanted to make sure it’s going to work with my set up before I order it

Hi, I’ve been having the same issue you mentioned. I have the Friedland Type 6 doorbell which seems the same specs as yours voltage wise. When you say you replaced the trafo, what do you mean? Is it the whole doorbell you changed or something in it?

transformers doorbell - Google Image Search

So find yours, see what’s the voltage and amperage of your transformer, and see if you want to upgrade to a more powerful one. If you have a video doorbell, most likely this would help.

1 Like