Samba addon fails on fresh install

Running a clean/fresh install of Hass.io and adding the Samba add-on. Only thing I have changed is the workgroup to match my pc’s workgroup:

{
“workgroup”: “ONOWINGEREI”,
“name”: “hassio”,
“guest”: true,
“map”: {
“config”: true,
“addons”: true,
“ssl”: false,
“share”: true,
“backup”: true
},
“username”: “”,
“password”: “”,
“interface”: “eth0”
}

The logs says this:
starting version 3.2.2
Error loading shared library : Invalid argument (needed by /usr/lib/samba/libdcerpc-samba-samba4.so)
Error loading shared library : No such file or directory (needed by /usr/lib/samba/libdcerpc-samba-samba4.so)
Error loading shared library ( : No such file or directory (needed by /usr/lib/samba/libdcerpc-samba-samba4.so)
Error loading shared library : Invalid argument (needed by /usr/lib/samba/libdcerpc-samba-samba4.so)
Error loading shared library r- : No such file or directory (needed by /usr/lib/samba/libdcerpc-samba-samba4.so)
Error loading shared library : No such file or directory (needed by /usr/lib/samba/libdcerpc-samba-samba4.so)
Error loading shared library r/ : No such file or directory (needed by /usr/lib/samba/libdcerpc-samba-samba4.so)
/run.sh: line 88: 32 Segmentation fault (core dumped) smbd -F -S -s /etc/smb.conf
nmbd version 4.6.4 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2017
Registered MSG_REQ_POOL_USAGE
Registered MSG_REQ_DMALLOC_MARK and LOG_CHANGED
added interface eth0 ip=192.168.0.232 bcast=192.168.0.255 netmask=255.255.255.0
making subnet name:192.168.0.232 Broadcast address:192.168.0.255 Subnet mask:255.255.255.0
making subnet name:UNICAST_SUBNET Broadcast address:0.0.0.0 Subnet mask:0.0.0.0
making subnet name:REMOTE_BROADCAST_SUBNET Broadcast address:0.0.0.0 Subnet mask:0.0.0.0
load_lmhosts_file: Can’t open lmhosts file /etc/samba/lmhosts. Error was No such file or directory
STATUS=daemon ‘nmbd’ finished starting up and ready to serve connections

Needless to say since I am making this post - it doesn’t work. The shares are not accessible from my Windows 10 computer.

On a sidenote, I would like to come up with this rant: How it is possible to release something that don’t work out-of-the box on a clean and fresh install? The hass.io guys and of course rest of the Homeassistant “team” have a long way to go on releasing quality software I would say. Sorry, dont mean to be disrespectfull, but I have been trying Homeassistant now for more than a year and every time I give up in frustration because something is broken, documentation is wrong or missing, things change between releases so what worked last week is broken this week. It has been a really frustrating journey. This is probably my fifth attempt on starting fresh during this year, and this time - I can’t even get an offical out-of-the-box addon to run so I can actually upload my config files…

Marius

I case you haven’t noticed current version is 0.54 which means is still considered alpha or beta software. HA has a very active development team and enthusiastic community to support the ‘early adapters’. Surely it can be frustrating from time to time but detailed reports on issues will help the system to grow to a stable version 1.0 release.

documentation is wrong or missing, things change between releases so what worked last week is broken this week

I would say, “roll up your sleeves” and help to improve things and very important; read the change log which include the breaking changes before an upgrade.

About your problem; how is your Pi connected to the network?

Thanks for replying and I appreciate your feedback on my frustration. In my mind saying something is still beta is just a poor excuse for not having quality control I mean - in this example with a fresh install the Samba add-on should work out of the box, beta or not. This is like the simplest use case possible for the addon.

In case you haven’t noticed, this software is nowhere on the site advertised as “beta quality”, no where it is to be written that users should expect breaking features and it does not say anywhere that part of the documentation is to be treated as more of a “pointer in the right direction” than actual documentation. None of the breaking changes I have experienced has been advertised in the release notes. The best way to find out if there are breaking changes not advertised is to read the comments on the “new release blog post”…

Regardless of this frustration, I really would love to get Home Assistant to work the way it is advertised as it is a really cool and powerful platform with a lot of potential.

As you can see from my config, I have my PI3 connected to the ethernet port. I have not setup any WIFI on the pi. The Samba AddOn also worked about a month ago (then running with the version of Hass.io that was current at that time). But I do understand that it has changed between now and then.

When removing eth0 from the config it started to work. I did that after looking at the Git repo for the addon where one of the recent changes says it should start on all interfaces by default. So now everything is awesome :wink: Thank you again for replying!

1 Like

Mine has broken also, in recent weeks.

I tried removing eth0 from my configuration, but still no joy.

{
  "workgroup": "WORKGROUP",
  "name": "hassio",
  "guest": true,
  "map": {
    "config": true,
    "addons": true,
    "ssl": false,
    "share": true,
    "backup": true
  },
  "username": "",
  "password": "",
  "interface": ""
}

Windows 10 blocks this, as confirmed by:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-SmbClientConfiguration | Select EnableInsecureGuestLogons

EnableInsecureGuestLogons
-------------------------
                    False

I can access the samba share if I run:

Set-SmbClientConfiguration -EnableInsecureGuestLogons:$true

but this is bad practice and shouldn’t really be enabled.

Specifying a username/password in the SAMBA config doesn’t work, because it doesn’t create the account on the hass.io server itself. If I knew how to create a local user first, I’d try that, but I don’t, nor can I find any information about it.

It should probably be specified on the documentation here addons/samba/README.md at master · home-assistant/addons · GitHub that just adding a username and password won’t work?

1 Like

Same problem I am really getting nothing from online forums and frustrated

This answer found fixed my problems:

The accepted answer works by lowering the security on the client side. It is not enforcing the restriction in Windows 10 / Windows Server which was added for security purposes. It requires adjusting each of your clients.

On the other hand, the real answer is to raise the security on the server side and remove any mapping to guest accounts

ADD THESE LINES [global] client min protocol = SMB3 client max protocol = SMB3 restrict anonymous = 2 encrypt passwords = true REMOVE

• the map to guest option (which I had as bad user)
  • any ‘guest ok’ line in your smbd.conf

restart samba and you’ll be prompted for a username/password instead.

My config in /etc/samba/smb.conf:

#============================ Global definition ================================

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = Samba Server %v
netbios name = homeassistant
security = user
name resolve order = bcast host
dns proxy = no
bind interfaces only = yes
client min protocol = SMB3
client max protocol = SMB3
restrict anonymous = 2
encrypt passwords = true