Samba Backup: Create and store backups on a Samba share

Thank you very much it works…
Is there also a possibility to backup several times a day and delete an old backup after 8 days?

Not direct in the configuration. You can manually trigger Samba backup from an Home Assistant automation. This is described in the last part of the documentation under “Manual Triggers”.

The deletion will take place after x backups not after x days. Maybe an automation works here also.

Thanks Carsten.
So I’m sure I’ll get several backups. But how I delete with an Automtion zb after 8 backup, the oldest, there I am then unfortunately over questioned

I can also not tell you (Ich bin da echt überfragt!). Maybe someone else here has an idea how to handle it.

Hihi Ok verstehe Dich :slight_smile: Thanks

@thomasmauerer have you thought about providing an additional whitelist approach by offering two options include_addons and include_folders?

During this Correct "wait until finished" syntax (e. g. 'wait_for_trigger') - #5 by e-raser question:

Is it possible to manually trigger Samba Backup addon so it creates only a HA backup?

…I was wondering why there´s no such “feature” yet. Currently it’s quite a pain to have SAMBA backup create a partial backup only containing HA + HA config folder because I need to exclude everything else. So I need to maintain a list of things I don’t want (and that list is constantly changing which adds the need to update my exclusion list also) to get what I want. Strange, isn’t it :smiley:

Curious to see if this is something you thought about or what you think of it.

1 Like

I’m struggling to exclude influx db from backups.

Influx db’s url is a0d7b954-influxdb and I took the url from the same place for mariadb and it worked but not for influxdb.

exclude_addons:
  - core-mariadb
  - a0d7b954-influxdb
exclude_folders: []

@thomasmauerer any ideas? I also tried using _ instead of -

I am receiving error despite the fact the addon is apparently connected to my samba. Any ideas?

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc…exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms…exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes…
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts…
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
[22-01-16 20:12:10] INFO: ---------------------------------------------------
[22-01-16 20:12:10] INFO: Host/Share: 192.168.2.200/Exchange
[22-01-16 20:12:10] INFO: Target directory: Backups
[22-01-16 20:12:10] INFO: Keep local/remote: all/all
[22-01-16 20:12:10] INFO: Trigger time: 20:13
[22-01-16 20:12:10] INFO: Trigger days: Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
[22-01-16 20:12:10] INFO: ---------------------------------------------------
[22-01-16 20:12:12] INFO: Samba Backup started successfully
[22-01-16 20:13:12] INFO: Backup running …
[22-01-16 20:13:12] INFO: Creating backup “Samba Backup 2022-01-16 20:13”
[22-01-16 20:13:13] ERROR: Error occurred! Backup could not be created! Please try again

ok, the error (without proper description) popped only once.

However, anybody dealt with the fact that defining the name automatically adds a prefix “Samba_Backup” Unnecessary but probably hardcoded.

I went through the documentation of course but look, the backup in HA has the name I required but uploaded has a prefix “Samba_Backup_”

Em I missing some configuration? I cannot find it, it seems to me to be hardcoded

… is indeed hardcoded. You can not remove that prefix without tampering with the codebase.

Yes and there is a reason for that.
The prefix acts as a search pattern for the cleanup and guarantees that only backups are deleted and not accidently other files that may be laying around in the same directory on your share.

3 Likes

Is it possible to store the username and password for the Samba share in secrets.yaml?

2 Likes

Hi,

danke für das Addon - funktioniert wunderbar.

Ich habe das Ganze mit Automationen in Node-RED gelöst - mit einer Prüfung, ob der Server überhaupt verfügbar ist.
Ich werde dazu noch ein Video machen.

/update
Ach so… der “Server” ist mein normaler Rechner, der nur ein paar Stunden am Tag an - aber immer unterschiedlich…

Gruß,
Tristan

And for the english speaker: Works like a charm! :slight_smile:

Why not simply call the service manually - then it will create it in the smb share as well.
I only have an automation in Node-RED.

Oh… nice information, can you give me some more about this? If the addon owner doesn’t do something, we can create perhaps an automation to make it happend upfront?

some posts after mine someone told me that MariaDB have a lock feature now when its backup. So the stop function is not needed anymore… :slight_smile:

Nice to hear. Do you have any source information about this? I didn’t find anything in the web - only that they complain about the fact, that is doesn’t work :wink:

I have been using this addon for a few days and it works great! However, it does not sync the backup that are created outside of this add-on, for instance the default backups before an update. Is there a way to add this feature, or am I missing a config option ?
Thanks!