Samba Backup: Create and store backups on a Samba share

Yes and there is a reason for that.
The prefix acts as a search pattern for the cleanup and guarantees that only backups are deleted and not accidently other files that may be laying around in the same directory on your share.

3 Likes

Is it possible to store the username and password for the Samba share in secrets.yaml?

2 Likes

Hi,

danke für das Addon - funktioniert wunderbar.

Ich habe das Ganze mit Automationen in Node-RED gelöst - mit einer Prüfung, ob der Server überhaupt verfügbar ist.
Ich werde dazu noch ein Video machen.

/update
Ach so… der “Server” ist mein normaler Rechner, der nur ein paar Stunden am Tag an - aber immer unterschiedlich…

Gruß,
Tristan

And for the english speaker: Works like a charm! :slight_smile:

Why not simply call the service manually - then it will create it in the smb share as well.
I only have an automation in Node-RED.

Oh… nice information, can you give me some more about this? If the addon owner doesn’t do something, we can create perhaps an automation to make it happend upfront?

some posts after mine someone told me that MariaDB have a lock feature now when its backup. So the stop function is not needed anymore… :slight_smile:

Nice to hear. Do you have any source information about this? I didn’t find anything in the web - only that they complain about the fact, that is doesn’t work :wink:

I have been using this addon for a few days and it works great! However, it does not sync the backup that are created outside of this add-on, for instance the default backups before an update. Is there a way to add this feature, or am I missing a config option ?
Thanks!

I guess you have to use the same name pattern for the default backups. They have to start with Samba_Backup_

Unfortunately, we can’t control the name pattern of the default backups. Home Assistant assign one by default, such as ‘core_2022.2.0’ or ‘addon_xxxx_yyyy’ or even ‘os_6.6’.

So, here it comes. The german video including node red automation for Backups on not 24/7 available samba shares.
Lokale Backups auf dem NAS oder PC mit Samba Backup

1 Like

Hi, seeking some help here. Since December 2021 I have had no successful backup. My backup seems to take longer than 3 hours and that crashes something causing to have local backup but not on samba.

I have excluded addons, but the ones I really need I let in. I deleted the homea sssitant database.

Where and how can I see how many storage an addon is using? e.g. influxdb?

I have glances, but that doesn’t show me:

Nice work solved a problem! Thank!
My suggestion would be to improve error handling.
The remote store could not be reached while performing a scheduled task, so the job failed.
No alerts or warnings were received about the incident, although this would be important for you to investigate the issue. - I accidentally noticed.

@thomasmauerer Opinion on this after 3 months?

Maybe at least allow a wildcard for the exclude_addons parameter, that’d be a big step forward already. As you see: there are ideas… :wink:

Does this samba backup addon also backup node red flows?

This addon uses the normal Home Assistant OS function to backup the system. If the flows are insides these backups, everything is fine.

See https://github.com/thomasmauerer/hassio-addons/issues/77 for this feature request.

1 Like

I realize that it has been a long time, but I had a similar problem caused by the deprecated emulated Hue - Alexa interface grabbing port 80.

Maybe a bit off topic, but what should I backup? I choose everything now, but the backups are growing some Mb per day. I have space, so that is not the issue.

Well you can probably skip the database as that is usually corrupted during backup.

Keep a copy of your addon configurations stored in a text file off system then you can skip a lot of addons too. You just need to reinstall them and copy the config over after a backup restore.