Samba Backup: Create and store backups on a Samba share

You log says host is unreachable.

Yeah but i can reach it through windows no problem

Just from curiosity. Are you running this from vm?

Yes Ha is running in a vm

Letā€™s say I install Linux that runs vm. In that vm I install windows. On that windows running in vm I install vm on top of it i install ha os.
So Iā€™m running haos in vm that runs in vm that runs in vm.
Itā€™s pointless to run os in vm except for testing purposes.

I am running HA in a vm the Nas is running TrueNAS Scale i dont get where there would be vms running in a vm

Question, is it possible to have more than 1 backup schema?

I think it is. Ha uses its backup placing everything in a tar file. But that doesnā€™t mean you cannot use some backup service outside ha to do the same thing. Iā€™m talking about supervised install on debian. For vm I donā€™t know.

One schema is defined by the addon.
You can create automationā€™s to trigger the backup whenever you want it.
I also have made a backup button on my dashboard, triggering manually, when I have made a lot of changesā€¦

Okay, i probably wasnā€™t clear enough, sorry about that.
I am running HA OS and i have the addon installed. This one only offer one schema to use and that is fine for normal use. However ounce a week i want to make a backup to another location that the one defined in the schema. Of course i could change it in the config, do a manual backup and revert the change. But what is the point of doing this manually while i have a automation system to do it for me.

1 Like

I see, it was not about timing, but about content :slight_smile:

Well, I donā€™t see such options anywhere in the addon, nor the documentation.

Worthy a feature requestā€¦

You can use an automation to control when and what to backup. However, you cannot change the share or target directory.

Since several users were having troubles with the setup, the addon performs a few checks during startup to see if the configured share is setup correctly, e.g. it is accessible, target directory exists, write permissions are granted, etc. For this reason the location is fixed. Also other questions would arise, e.g. how the sensor should count the number of stored backups when the location is exchangeable.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation.
The reason i was looking into this.
With your addon i make additional backups to an off server drive. But on a weekly base i would like to store those backups also to another drive in my network so i would have always 3 actual backups spread at different location.
I am using HA OS and i have spend days to figuring out how to copy a file from the HA server backup share to an USB drive connected to my router with an HA automation but still no success.

Hi all, some time ago I have had contact with ā€œsomeoneā€ about his addon deleting ā€œotherā€ backups in home assistant. It turned out it was a bug.

I am not sure where this was discussed anymore, here, github, discordā€¦?

The fact is, all backups, also the manually taken ones, including the ones created when updating addons are deleted after this samba addon has done the backup job during the night.

Since there have been some updates and now today to 5.1.2. But no mentioning of the above in the update log.

Is this issue something that can be resolved? Are there others with the same issue?

Never had such issue. You can specify in config, how many backups you want to keep.

Selecting ALL means, nothing will be deleted.

host: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
share: Mischa
target_dir: Hardware things\Snapshots HA\backup
username: XXXXX
password: XXXXX
keep_local: "10"
keep_remote: all
trigger_time: "03:00"
trigger_days:
  - Mon
exclude_addons: []
exclude_folders: []
workgroup: XXXX
compatibility_mode: true
backup_name: MMfullAuto {date}
log_level: error

That specification is for the addon only. I have (and some other also) the issue OTHER backups are also deleted alongā€¦

No such issue is ever reported, so far I can see. Feel free to reportā€¦

Hello, I have installed and set this up and point it to my NAS. However, it is always doing partial backup. I went trought the documentations and cannot find config how to force full backup. I checked the logs and the backup is always a partial 4GB. My full backup is about 140GB ? appreciate any advise.

Isnā€™t this due to a file system limit (FAT32)

Weā€™re not there yet. From the get go the SMB backup straight away starts a backup as Snapshot.
im writing to ZFS and the file limit there is 16 exbibytes, so weā€™re good. I have a proxmox backup on the same share but that is VM backup. I wanted home assistant backup.