Samsung Tablet for free, Now What (SGH-I497)

So, what are some good way to prep it for HADashboard? Root? new ROM? How to hard code the so it boots into HADashboard?

You could actually leave it alone. None of that is necessary for AD/Dash.

(“Waht?!? Not root all the things?!?!” :wink: )

But you could install HomeDash on it:

From experience, rooting and custom romming my Galaxy Tab 3’s made no discernable difference to the performance of WallPanel/HaDashboard. It actually caused me more problems because the clean rom I used was 4.2.1 (as opposed to stock 4.4.2) and didn’t support my tasker mqtt client!
+1 for ‘leave it alone’…
Turning off updates and sync etc has been beneficial though, preventing slowdowns due to spontaneous bulk app updates!

(close loose ends on this thread)

Note: Biggest Lesson… Tab 2 10.1 is very generic, you need to dig deeper. At first glance there seems to be two major subdivisions. P5100 and P5110, but mine is a SGH-I497 and that is a category by itself.

Who would have thought that rooting a Samsung Tab 2 10.1 would be a nightmare?
Well, truth is, before I started I did not know what Odin was.
None of the tutorials are 100% right on how to get into download mode. Before this, I did not know android had a low level download mode, other than ADB.
The first tutorial had me load an image that I don’t think was compatible with the Tab 2 and I was stuck in download mode. Then I found a espresso10 (my device code name) and I am able to boot.

If you do try the wrong recovery, this one “CF-Auto-Root-espresso10att-espresso10uc-samsungsghi497.tar.md5” worked for me.

Also, looks like there are not custom roms based on this post https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2243804#post73285174

Looks like @danpow right, not worth for the end result, but did learn a lot. @rpitera pointing to Homedash. Thanks @quadportnick.

Going to add SGH-i497 to thread name for clarity.

1 Like