Sanity Check for Efficiency

I’m setting up something similar to BabyBuddy for my snakes. One of the things is a “quick input” keypad to set the dates for items (feeding, substrate changes, shedding). I currently have a six button keypad setup with ESPHome. I’ve got one button setup that is working, but I’m wondering if there’s a simpler way.

I have an automation when I hit button 1 to set an input_text sensor to the current date (MM/DD/YYYY).

alias: Blaidd Ate Date/Time
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - binary_sensor.blaidd_keypad_bt_button_1
    to: "on"
condition: []
action:
  - service: input_text.set_value
    metadata: {}
    data:
      value: "{{ as_timestamp(now())|timestamp_custom(\"%m/%d/%y\") }}"
    target:
      entity_id: input_text.blaidd_last_ate_date
mode: single

I then have a template sensor to keep track of how many days since the last feeding.

{% set delta = as_timestamp(now()) - as_timestamp(strptime(states("input_text.blaidd_last_ate_date"),"%m/%d/%y")) %}
{% set deltaRound = (delta/86400)|round(0,"floor") %}
{{ deltaRound }}

In addition to double-checking things. I’m trying to make sure nothing causes issues down the road. The plan will be to have automations setup to push a notification the day before the next feeding is due to thaw out their prey. I would like to be able to do statistics in the long run, but I have logs offloading to Splunk and should be able to just handle that in there.

What was the reason for choosing to store the date in an Input Text instead of an Input Datetime?

Because I totally missed it. I think I just figured out a text sensor would work and ran with it.

If the goal is "Sanity check for Efficiency " then you may wish to consider using Input Datetime to store a date. It makes date math a bit simpler.

1 Like

Awesome sauce…so this advice coupled with your post here:

got me to where I want.

1 Like