Scene always ignore the same 2 devices

I defined a scene for all my underfloor heating zones (heatmiser), and all my radiators (aqara zigbee TRVs), setting only the state and temperature for each of these. There is a total of 13 devices in the scene.

Whenever I turn the scene on, the same 2 TRVs are ignored (not the last 2 on the list, just in case). Everything else is set correctly. No errors are raised or anything of that sort.

I use a SkyConnect and Zigbee2MQTT.

I’m including the Zigbee Network Map with the 2 devices indicated, just in case:

The only thing I can think of is the physical distance between the 2 devices and their intermediary routers. Routers are in the ground floor, devices are in the loft (2nd floor). Strangely, another devices nearby works fine (TRV - Loft Landing).

I considered creating a Zigbee Group so I could send less Zigbee commands, but for some reason I can’t do it. Will keep trying.

Any ideas?

EDIT 1: Those devices are accepting commands and work just fine all the time.

By “ignored by the scene”, do you mean they never receive commands? Looking at the LQI of 185 (higher is better), I don’t see why there would be any communication issues.

Have you checked the logs in HA to see if the scene has the correct entity ids (or any other errors) when you activate the scene? Also, can you control the device directly both through HA and Z2M? If so, I’d almost say to destroy the scene and try to recreate it.

I don’t think this is a zigbee/networking issue.

Yes, when I turn the scene on, those 2 devices remain as before.

There are no log entries on HA or on Zigbee2MQTT related to these devices.
Strange enough, I have another scene with these devices, and they work fine on that one. I literally copied one from the other and just changed the temperatures.

I destroyed the scene, recreated it, reloaded HA, problem persists.
It makes no sense to me! :confused:

I’ve had this happen to me before. I had two scenes that were pretty much identical to each other and ended up having to give them unique ids before they would work properly.

Something like this:

- id: scene_1
  name: Scene 1
  entities:
    - domain.entity_1:
      state: true
    - domain.entity_2
      state: false

- id: scene_2
  name: Scene 2
  entities:
    - domain.entity_1
      state: false
    - domain.entity_2
      state: true

I did the same.
For some reason, even when I edit the scenes.yaml file to force the temperature to 10C, the editor says it is 18.
I change it on the Editor back to 10, the change is simply ignored. All other devices work just fine if changed on the UI.

Creating a new scene from scratch, directly from the editor, simply ignores changes to the temperature for that device. :frowning:

Huh… yeah, you have an odd case. I can’t test it in the editor (I’m using separate yaml files per area), but I’m kinda wondering if perhaps your scenes.yaml file is messed up. Easiest fix for that is to shut HA down, copy the file out, create a new scenes.yaml and copy the contents back in and save it. The clue here might be the way the editor is acting with the file and not allowing changes on just that scene.

Edit: Out of curiosity, are you running on a SD card? If so, have you tested the card? Do you have a spare one lying around that you could try?

I think the device is misbehaving. I’m going to reset it, and re-provision it.
I don’t think there is something wrong with HA or the file.
I’ll debug a bit more.
Thanks for your help.

1 Like

I was going to suggest that as well, but that was my “scorched earth” approach lol

And it worked.
Go figure, right?
Sorry for the trouble.

1 Like

lol it happens. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve had to unpair and re-pair devices because of weird stuff.

Suggest adding a few more always-on Zigee Router devices that always have power (preferably some dedicated Zigbee Router products or DIY devices) see -.> Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference + optimizing using Zigbee Router devices (repeaters/extenders) to get best possible range and coverage

The make sure avoid EMF/EMI/FMI interference suggest also connecting the Zigbee Coordinate USB adapter via a long USB 2.0 extension cable to a USB 2.0 port or a powered USB 2.0 hub, (do not connect it to a USB 3.0 port unless using a USB 2.0 cable, and even then it is better to use a USB 2.0 port or a powered USB 2.0 hub).