Scheduler card/custom component

This function can be realized with a simple automation. But it is to the Climate component that we should ask for an integrated management of openings…

# On couppe le chauffage quand la fenêtre est ouverte plus de 3 minutes
- alias: '316 : WINDOWS : OPEN'
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.fenetre_lionel
    to: 'on'
    for:
      minutes: 3
  condition:    
  - condition: state
    entity_id: input_boolean.thermostats_on_off
    state: 'on'
  action:
  - service: climate.set_hvac_mode
    entity_id: climate.thermostat_lionel
    data:
      hvac_mode: 'off'

# On rallume le chauffage quand la fenêtre est fermée plus de 3 minutes
- alias: '317 : WINDOWS : CLOSED'
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.fenetre_lionel
    to: 'off'
    for:
      minutes: 3
  condition:    
  - condition: state
    entity_id: input_boolean.thermostats_on_off
    state: 'on'  
  action:
  - service: climate.set_hvac_mode
    entity_id: climate.thermostat_lionel
    data:
      hvac_mode: heat

Thanks for all the work. One friendly suggestion: before adding more features, please think about a way to disable parts of the scheduler via configuration. I think most please want a clean, easy to use, not confusing scheduler interface which is missing completely from HA. I gave some suggestions before, I really think conditions is nice to have, but it would also be nice to be able to hide it if not needed. My 2 cents.

1 Like

What do you mean?
I don’t understand what you like to have disabled.

The conditions. They overcomplicate the scheduler for some people.

1 Like

Yeah I can imagine. But the whole option pane is just for those who want to set up advanced stuff…
It’s ok to ignore it if you don’t need the functions.

Yes, conditions, advanced options in general, even for example the old way to configure schedules (which I find confusing, definitely the new way is so much better). Think about putting this in front of a customer (wife? :slight_smile: ), don’t think in terms of what you and me can and cannot ignore. A simple configuration flag to opt in (or out) of these advanced features would be helpful IMO. Again, my 2 cents, I might be the exception here.

Hi, Can you comment on my post from a few days ago?

• Is it possible to configure the 3 items I was asking about?
  • What am I losing by using “standard_configuration: false”? Any risk in doing that?
  • Is it possible to remove the entity name from each of the entered schedules? Reason is that I assign a separate timer card per device so there is no need for that

Thanks!

1. Yes, read the docs.
  2. Yes, a lot of hard work by @neliss and the community.
  3. Nope. That wasn’t what the card was built for. You can edit the friendly name using the options panel.
1 Like

@Motti_Bazar I am a bit busy at the moment, that’s all.
As far as I know, you are the only one who uses the scheduler-card for just one entity.
Which is OK to do, but makes some things esthetically less optimal.
I would like it if you could create a feature request for the third item.
It would help me remember to follow up on it.

Regarding the configuration, I would prefer if everybody would use the standard configuration.
Customization options should be sufficient to allow you to get the result you are looking for.
I know this is currently not the case yet. I am planning to improve this in the next update.

I also remember you made a request for selecting multiple actions for a single timer event. This is also high on my to-do list.
I hope you understand this is just an afterhours project for me, and have to make choices on what to work on first…

3 Likes

@neliss Hi, just a short/quick request if it’s not too much trouble. Can you perhaps add the option to reverse the tap_hold and tap_action behaviour? I use button cards for my UI and toggle devices on/off by tapping. This works confusing with schedular card, because it’s inverted for my UI.

If you can add like a boolean to reverse it, I’d highly appreciate it :slight_smile: !

1 Like

Hi, there. I am new to this component.
In the demo you can see toggles next to the scheduler entries. In my case there is only the timestamp for the next execution. Is this option gone or am I missing something?
Thank you in advance!

Read one post above you: it’s been updated with hold_tap and tap_action commands to toggle and edit :slight_smile:

The readme hasn’t been updated yet I think, so I understand you aren’t aware of this new feature.

Haha, okay. That explains everything. Thanks for your quick reply! :slight_smile:

@panhans @ASNNetworks The truth is that i’m not really happy with the new layout either.
I would like to ask for everyone’s opinion on this, so I can decide on the way forward :slightly_smiling_face:

Couple of things to consider before voting:

• If the remaining time is in the right column, the schedules will also be sorted on time. Its the natural thing to do.
  • If the switches are on the right, sorting on time might be weird (since when you click a switch, the item will move elsewhere in the list). So probably the sorting by time will need to be reverted.
  • I had the idea to include a ‘skip next’ (or similar) option, to just skip the next trigger. I did not implement this simply because I don’t know where to fit an extra button.
  • If the vote gives inconclusive result, i will probably make things user-configurable. Note that this is not really an improvement, more a compromise.
  • I like to have the remaining time in the right column (as it is now)
  • I like to have the switches for enabling/disabling in the right column (as it was before)
  • I would like to have the switches, but also the time. Add the remaining time in the text under the item.
  • Go experimental! Make extra options appear when tapping an item. A button panel or a popup dialog or something…
  • I have a better proposal, I will tell you below.

0 voters

I really think it’s amazing to see how committed you are in improving this component and how fast you are to reply/update.

I voted other, since I do have an idea. Ofcourse, you have to judge if it’s something you can/want to code and manage. I have no idea how much work this will require or if it’s even possible without a total rewrite. In short: I think the button-card from RomRider is an amazing card (that I use for 90% of my UI). I am convinced that a card in style of button card will be amazing for this card.

All schedules are represented by a button, that changes color based on state (so basically with a background). You can easily see what’s on or off. Tapping a schedule will turn if on/off. Holding it will open the edit menu (so reversed as to how it works now, but makes more sense if they’re buttons). One key element for this to fully meet everyones needs and allow everyone to incorporate it seamlessly in their UI, is to allow theming. So background, shadows, border, text-color, icon color etc, all needs te be changeable, either within the card itself (like button-card) or within theme.yaml (for instance like mini media player).

I will photoshop my idea later today, because only writing it will not really give a good representation.

Thanks for your feedback :+1:
Although i use button-card a lot as well (to make my HA frontend look similar to iOS Home app), this shouldn’t become the default.
I would like to keep the layout matching with Lovelace.
So:

Is a bit against the principles of Lovelace, since a Lovelace card has a uniform background (no borders or transitions in between to make it appear as a grid of multiple cards).

Doesn’t mean I’m not open to your idea, I’m still curious to see what you have in mind.

Perhaps I could move the editor to a more-info dialog, to allow more minimalistic styling.

First: Thanks for this great component / Lovelace card. I have a question I did not find answered in the thread (so far).

When using the scheme option I can configure conditions. It seems that I can only have a condition for the scheme but not something like

8am -10am: temp = 21°C if presence == on
10am - 4pm: temp = 18°C if presence == off

I want the heating to turn down if no-one is home…

Also when the conditions change, will the schedule be automatically re-evaluated?

Thanks for any hints?

Hi,

Currently conditions are applied to the whole time scheme.
Not to specific time slots. But I can imagine this could be useful.
Would be even nicer to be able to say “set to 20C if I’m home, otherwise set to 10C” (for a single time slot).

I think it is very much possible to make this.
The biggest issue is how to make it easy and clear to set up in the card.
Could you make a feature request in GitHub if you really want such functionality? It also allows others to vote on it.
Please take into account that the possibility for adding conditions was added last weekend.
It will take a bit more time to get everything right.

Heard this question before.
I guess for some cases this would be nice, but others maybe not.
Personally, I don’t use conditions with scheduler in my own HA config.
I don’t have a use-case for them (yet).
I would like to make the right choice here, not introduce an extra configurable parameter.
So my challenge to you: Can you convince us that it helps for all use-cases? Are there not any drawbacks to this behaviour?
If so, I will change it :grinning:

1 Like

For me the main thing is: I want a schedule but I want the radiators to turn off when I leave the house. and then turn back on to the set temperature when I return.

Since the heating is slow I also want to turn the heating on before I return home (normally I return at a certain time of day) So at this time the heating should turn on no matter if I’m away or not.

Thats basically the use case. I think this is relevant for many people.

To achieve this now I can use your scheduling + automation to turn the heating down if no_presesence is detected. I would need to return to the scheduled temperature however if presence is detected. This seems not to be possible at the moment - right?

The easiest way I think would be to have two schedules one with each condition. If the schedule would be re-evaluated on condition change and that would be it. GUI change would be only a tick-box - reschedule on condition change…

Does this make sense? anybody else interested in something like this?

I’m also trying to use the scheduler in the same way.
Last year I used Schedy (AppDaemon).

For now I created the schedules on the scheduler and added 2 HA automations:

• temperature boost if I have a production advance in photovoltaics
  • lowers the temperature if no one is at home and raises it if someone comes

In order the following conditions win:
photovoltaic,
presence at home,
scheduler

I don’t know if all these functions can be insert on the scheduler…