Schedules for Generic Thermostat

It is a great integration, although it would be even better if in addition to the switch for the heater parameter and sensor for the target_sensor parameter, you could add schedule type helpers for programming.

It is called automation, a key feature of HA. See Automating Home Assistant - Home Assistant

1 Like

Scheduler card and custom component

There is a scheduler in HACS

1 Like

Yes, yes, that’s how I choose to do it, BUT it’s not the same.

So, lights should have a scheduler, and garage door should have a scheduler, and switches should have a scheduler…
See the problem?
This is why Home Assistant is built as it is in core, It makes it more maintainable and scalable.

As Spiro mentioned, there are other people whom have built other versions of the thermostat that might have that function. That is the power of opensource. The core is built with the philosophy of a bigger organism with integrations and scripts pulling together over a thousand integrations (and growing monthly) to get you where you need to be.

2 Likes

The same as what?

The way I see it, there would be no need for automation.

Yes, yes, I see the problem. But any thermostat on the market does have a way to program it. Not so the garage doors etc. Also I do not understand why not to the scheduler and yes to the automatitation. In my 30 year old house the heating thermostats are already programmed.

Automations are more flexible. My heating system is influenced by Schedules as well as presence detection to switch between various modes.

If your proposal were implemented as a simple on/off schedule, we’d then get “improvement” requests to allow for switching modes, other inputs etc, and end up with a second implementation of automations.

You can create Schedules in the UI now. The automation can then be as simple as:

trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: schedule.heating
action:
  - service: climate.set_hvac_mode
    entity_id: climate.central_heating
    data:
      hvac_mode: "{{ 'heat' if trigger.to_state.state == 'on' else 'off' }}"
1 Like

The mine:

alias: Calefaccion Altillo
description: ""
trigger:
    entity_id:
      - schedule.calefaccion_altillo
    id: Encender
    to: "on"
    entity_id:
      - schedule.calefaccion_altillo
    id: Apagar
    to: "off"
condition:
  - condition: zone
    entity_id: person.antonio_maza_bandres
    zone: zone.home
  - condition: or
    conditions:
      - condition: state
        entity_id: sensor.el_mes_es
        state: Diciembre
        state: Enero
        state: Febrero
action:
  - if:
      - condition: trigger
        id:
          - Encender
    then:
      - service: switch.turn_off
        target:
          device_id: []
          area_id: []
          entity_id: switch.calefacciones_cocina
        data: {}
      - service: climate.turn_on
        metadata: {}
        target:
          entity_id: climate.termostato_altillo
  - if:
      - condition: trigger
        id:
          - Apagar
    then:
      - service: climate.turn_off
        metadata: {}
        target:
          entity_id: climate.termostato_altillo
      - service: switch.turn_on
        target:
          device_id: []
          area_id: []
          entity_id: switch.calefacciones_cocina
mode: single

A real Thermostat radiator valve: TuYa TV02-Zigbee control via MQTT | Zigbee2MQTT

Captura de Pantalla 2024-02-08 a las 11.24.10

I am only asking for this “auto” mode with the scheduler, not the following, which would already be unbelievable.

Well, I am Spanish and in Spanish there is a concept called usability and I think that with my request it is much more usable. Although I am a Computer Engineer I am 69 years old and it may be that my brain does not work well. But I think my request is more than reasonable. I hope this makes my position clear. I don’t need anyone to give me lessons on automations, and even put a link. But you really didn’t understand anything!

Another thing is what Spiro proposes and that I did not know, and it seems to me that I have a lot to learn in this way.
We should be clear that this home-automatization should not only be for “geeks”.

In the page: Generic thermostat - Home Assistant
Only needs add a configuration parameter.

• Everyone is free to submit a Feature Request.

• Everyone is free to submit comments about a Feature Request.

Comments often include examples of how to achieve the Feature Request using existing methods. The examples can be helpful (if not for you then perhaps for someone else) because most Feature Requests are never implemented.

1 Like