Script runs but not changing the light brightness

And that the brightness_step: option does not seem to work either.

Have you ever sorted this out? Got 2 WiZ Tunables here and am also not able to change brightness through a script. The lights turn either straight to full brightness or to “OFF” (brightness: null). No stepping possible.

I had given up on it but I just swapped them to the new Wiz app a few weeks ago and I have a feeling that the bulbs got a firmware update through that process. There is no way to check for updates or even see the firmware version in the app but since doing the swap the bulbs have been super stable vs the old situation of them going unavailable all the time.

So, I really should try and see if transitions work now…

Are you using the old / original Wiz app or the current one? It wasn’t just an update, its a new app altogether. “Wiz V2”

Honestly, none at all. The two Tunables (E63E24, fw 1.31.0, hw ESP20 01 ) were just detected by HA and I installed the integration into HA. I was hoping to avoid installing yet another app on the phone :crazy_face:

Wondering how these guys got transition/brightness stepping for their WiZ lights working.

Surely you used the app at some point to tell the bulbs what wifi to connect to…? Once done you don’t need the app anymore, except for as I say, I think they ‘secretly’ update the firmware in the background when you open the app and look at the bulbs.

Yeah, not sure because I could never get the Wiz bulbs to accept brightness_step_pct

1 Like

Oups … :sweat_smile:

I am building this HA instance for a friend for his new house. Obviously he did the initial WiFi pairing for the bulbs before using his iPhone. That is why I didn’t remember to have that app installed on my cell phone :rofl:

I discouraged him before to order WiZ but he insisted. Well, here we are.

Well that’s ok. Try either getting him to update with the new app or you could do it. Once that’s done he or you can delete the app. Like I said, doing so definitely made my bulbs FAR more reliable. I was about to throw them out because they started needing daily power cycling to reconnect to wifi. Since using the new app (which I think secretly did a firmware update) they have been rock solid. No power cycling needed since.

Over the weekend I’ll try to test out the transitions or brightness_step_pct to see if either option works now.

1 Like

I guess he has already the new app on his phone installed. I am working also on his WiZ bulbs since a couple of days already and they never disconnected from the WiFi so far.

Please let me know the results :pray:t3:

Will do, I’ll report back here.

1 Like

So the Wiz bulbs are now accepting service calls with brightness_step_pct but won’t do transitions. At least that’s a big improvement. If I send a turn_off with a transition (of 10 seconds for example), it just turns off instantly.

2 Likes

That’s been a common complaint of mine with the Wiz bulbs. I think it’s the actual firmware or api call that prevents it, but I never investigated too much.

It wasn’t really secret. You can view the firmware version, but they put it a bunch of levels deep in the Wiz app.

1. Click the bulb to get to it’s properties.
  2. Click the 3 dot menu in the top right of the screen.
  3. Click Settings.
  4. Click the drop down arrow next to the name and then select Device Info.

You can also view the firmware version through the integration device page as well.

1 Like

Something with the API I guess. If I use the service call dev tool in UI mode and select a Wiz bulb, there is no option to set a Transition time. Other lights do have that Transition selection available. Forcing it via YAML mode simply results in the Transition time being ignored.

As I mentioned above, at least now my Wiz bulbs accept a brightness step value so I can basically script a fake transition. It won’t be as nice but it’s better than nothing.

1 Like

Thanks for that, I’ll have a look later.

By ‘secretly’ though, I mean the app never asked me if I wanted to upgrade the bulbs or gave any indication that it was doing so.

Mind to share a code snippet how you accomplished this wit the WiZ bulbs? :pray:t3:

Whatever I have already tried here, the bulbs go straight up to 100% or to ‘off’. Cant get the brightness stepping to work.

Sure thing.

This was just done in the service call dev tool for testing.

service: light.turn_on
target:
  entity_id: light.daves_bedside_lamp
data:
  brightness_step_pct: 10
1 Like

I do t think they even have that option. For Wiz bulbs, I’m pretty firmware updates are done with no user interaction at all. I’ve been using Wiz bulbs since they came out and I’ve never been prompted for a firmware update. They just happen. :man_shrugging:

My solution was to block them from the internet. lol

Mine are normally blocked from the internet but I gave them access in an attempt to fix the constant wifi issues, which did work… and now has also fixed the brightness step issue. They are once again block though.