Seeing failed connections to mqtt broker from supervisor

I have a two node home assistant setup. The system seems to be operating normally, however…

on both nodes, I am seeing messages of the following form in the log of the core-mosquitto addon

1627733866: Socket error on client <unknown>, disconnecting.
1627733986: New connection from 172.30.32.2 on port 1883.

172.30.32.2 is the address of hassio_supervisor but I can’t see why it is trying to connect to core-mosquitto

if it helps, I have just updated both nodes to the latest versions of core and addon software. It was last updated some months ago (core was on 202107<something>). I did see something in the change notes about the mosquitto config having moved from YAML into the UI). Could this have something to do with it? Note: I don’t know if the errors coincide with this update.

Gareth

According to this, it is normal-

Do you experience any problems with the device?

Here’s another thread discussing this issue.

In that thread, I mentioned that I am using the latest version of Supervisor but an older version of the Mosquitto MQTT Broker Add-On (5.1) and its log does not have those socket-error messages.

I hesitate to upgrade from 5.1 (which is rock solid) because I don’t want its log to be spammed with “normal” disconnection messages. Currently, the only recurring message in its log is the truly normal report that it’s saving its database.

Screenshot from 2021-07-31 10-32-01

Should anyone consider downgrading MQTT Broker to 5.1, just to see if it makes the socket-error messages disappear, there’s no command for downgrading Add-Ons. It’s possible to downgrade Home Assistant using a CLI command because it supports a “version” flag.

ha core update --version='2021.5.0'

However, its counterpart for Add-Ons doesn’t support “version” so it can only be used for upgrading.

This command can upgrade a Home Assistant add-on to its latest version.
It is currently not possible to upgrade/downgrade to a specific version.

Usage:
ha addons update [slug] [flags]

Aliases:
update, upgrade, up

Examples:
ha addons update core_ssh

Flags:
-h, --help help for update

1 Like

Everything seems to be working OK. To that extent it’s just an annoyance. However, the broker is also exposed to the internet (and protected by SSL) for another application, so I’d prefer not to see false-alarms in the log - it spooks me and makes me wonder if an attack is underway.

I’m seeing the same thing in my logs, super annoying. Is this “its normal” answer still relevant or do i have a problem i need to investigate ? If it’s normal can we hide that particular message from the logs ?