Seeking Assistance with ADB and Android TV Remote for Netflix and Disney App Control

Hello Everyone,

I hope you’re all doing well. I’ve encountered some challenges while trying to set up ADB (Android Debug Bridge) to launch specific programs on Netflix and Disney. Despite following the troubleshooting guide meticulously, I keep receiving a generic error during the setup process.

Interestingly, I’ve had success with the Android TV remote, which integrates seamlessly with my system. This leads me to a two-part inquiry:

1. Is ADB currently dysfunctional or incompatible with launching specific programs on Netflix and Disney? If anyone has encountered similar issues or has a workaround, your insights would be invaluable.
  2. Can the Android TV remote offer the same functionality? As of now, I can only open apps but not specific programs within those apps. Is this a limitation, or should we expect this feature in future updates?

Your expertise and advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Best regards,

What you’re looking for is called deep linking. Not all apps do it - its up to the app author. But if it exists this seems like a good guide as to how to determine links for use with android remote.

thanks, But this only allows the opening of the app right? Not the specific episode on netflix for example?

Depends on what the individual app developer allows you to deep link to. Some go as far as episode and could theoretically allow you to hit a timestamping that content.

The real answer is it depends. There’s not going to be a silver bullet here.

Edit for instance look at Fox Sports in the guide :

Fox Sports foxsports://live [series,movie,watch,category,movies,special,live,channel,ppv-purchase,search]

thanks. Im specificaly looking at netflix. So having a peppa pig play for example. I know with ADB this was possible, hence the original question. TY for your response BTW

No problem. Netflix is listed in that guide. I doubt they will be an issue. Where you’ll run into problem will be smaller services that may or may not have the staff to support adding server side support to things like deeplinks.