Send Commands to Alexa

How do you send a HAdashboard to the echo show ? I’m interested in this solution …

echo show has a browser. (unless i am mistaken, i dont own one)
and on a browser you can open a dashboard. and if a dashboard is opened you can send any other dashboard.

you just need to make sure its activated again after you use the show for something else.

Yeah it’s got a browser. Still, the only way to activate the browser is to say “Alexa open firefox”, then you actually need to type in the URL or open a bookmark. It’s not very practical for automation. The browser also times out and closes after a few minutes of not sensing touch.

However I can see some practical use for the browser if one was able to send silent commands directly to the echo as if it was being spoken to. I could create an input Boolean switch when switched on using an Alexa routine, it could send a command to Alexa to “Alexa open Firefox to http://Plex…/tv/channel7”. Something like that if it can understand the URL part.

Looks like bespoken.io could work for both these use cases, and perhaps more if the browser could understand URLs being spoken to as well, and not just opening the browser to a blank screen.

I just tried saying to my echo show, “show me www.aws.com” and it didn’t work

Also tried “open Firefox to www.aws.com” that didn’t work either so I guess alexa can only open a browser using voice. The rest is up to the user.

it probably times out because there is nothing happening on the website.
you could try to open a dashboard (or a HA page) which does get info all the time and see if it stays open.
if so then you can use dashboard.

you could also try to install fully kiosk. which would give the option to have the browser active all the time.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/the-haaska-super-thread/76994?u=jgrob1

Hey guys, found this discussion after I already posted this elsewhere. I found a solution to triggering Alexa routines via HA sensors triggered by MQTT call. no additional scripts or components if you already have Hasska running (which I massively recommend)

i dont. there are to many things you need with hasska which you can avoid when you chose other ways.
for haaska you need:

1. a creditcard (i dont own one and dont want one)
  2. a port from your router opened to the world (and if you dont have a static IP, which most dont have) a service like duckdns and lets encrypt

there is nothing that i can do with haaska, that i cant do on other ways, that dont need those things.
there was a time that i considered haaska, but i wouldnt recommend it to anyone as the situation is now, ubless the person already has a creditcard AND duckdns and letsencrypt working. (preferably behind a proxy server)

Are you using Appdaemon’s Alexa interface without open ports? Just curious.

i never used the AD alexa interface, but created my own AAA (Appdaemon Alexa App)
which used a custom skill on amazon.

but the constant changes on amazon side made it hard to maintain that. (it kept working, but i needed to figure it out over and over because they kept changing the interface)

now i just use emulated hue (no ports needed) to have triggers that i can trigger with alexa routines
and the shl script from Alexander Noack (which other copied and changed and what did lead to all TTS options that are now available)

so
speak to alexa > emulated hue > state change in HA > automation (AD)
state change in HA > automation (AD) > shl script > alexa speaks, or activates a routine, or starts music (or anything else you can do in the amazon alexa app)

no need for open ports, giving away credentials, having a creditcard, program custom skill, or anything like that.

1 Like

It cannot be done that way. HA can not view the camera on the ring. It can view the last recorded item which only is retrieved every minute and a half by default.

i dont have a ring camera, but i know that there is a ring camera component in HA.

My echo plus acts as my hub so I can’t check status of lights or turn them on etc(To my knowledge). But using the script you mention and adding the lights to their own routine via the Alexa app, I can now turn my lights on and off atleast! I’ll try get this working via HA now

Didn’t even think of doing the lights via a routine thanks for this!

1 Like

Is it possible to have this target a specific Echo Dot?or would it go to all of them on an account?

depends on what you call “this” :wink:
with the shl file or the alexa mediaplayer you can target a specific echo (dot)

when you talk about the bespoken way, i dont know but i suspect you can do that too, if you got enough money.

Yeah I meant bespoken - looks like they have a free plan? Seems like that’s the only way to control Skills

Bespoken only lets you use a virtual Alexa free for 30 days unfortunately

I got this error:

Translation Error: The intl string context variable 'Level' was not provided to the string 'Detalhes do log ({Level})'
Logger: homeassistant.core
Source: components/rest_command/__init__.py:136
First occurred: 16:24:02 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 16:24:02

Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/rest_command/__init__.py", line 119, in async_service_handler
    timeout=timeout,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/aiohttp/client.py", line 1012, in __aenter__
    self._resp = await self._coro
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/aiohttp/client.py", line 504, in _request
    await resp.start(conn)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/aiohttp/client_reqrep.py", line 860, in start
    self._continue = None
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/aiohttp/helpers.py", line 586, in __exit__
    raise asyncio.TimeoutError from None
concurrent.futures._base.TimeoutError

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1257, in _execute_service
    await handler.func(service_call)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/rest_command/__init__.py", line 136, in async_service_handler
    _LOGGER.warning("Timeout call %s.", response.url, exc_info=1)
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'response' referenced before assignment

Is there a command-line app for Windows that allows me to submit text based commands on behalf of my Amazon Echo device? So that after I submit a text command, my Amazon Alexa Dot repies will respond with the respective voice command?

looking for a way to start ‘white noise’ playing on my alexa echos at a certain time - would this be possible?

Couldn’t you just use an Alexa routine for that?