Send on/off to Zwave switch quickly to set light color

I have a Pentair IntelliBrite 5G LED Pool Light with a GE Zwave Switch attached to it. To set the color of the light, you need to turn the switch on and off a specific number of times to “lock in” the color you want.

For example, to set the color to Blue, I would need to turn off the light. Then turn the light on and off 8 times quickly.

I’m trying to determine the best way to program this in Home Assistant. Ultimately, I’d like a dropdown where I can select which color I want and then run it to program.

Set up scripts for each, then an automation that calls the correct script based on your dropdown (an input_select). Scripts allow delay, too, if you need to tweak spacing between ons/offs.

Ha ha! - perfect timing … I knew the Hass community was already on top of this! My pool resurfacing project just started and I was planning to do just this thing.

I don’t see any issues with using a standard GE Z-Wave switch (non-dimmer, of course) to accomplish this. I was curious about whether the timing of the on/off was going to be an issue, as some of the commands involve an on/off sequence of up to 14, which is a lot!

Curious:

• Did you do this successfully?
  • What switch hardware did you use?
  • Care to share any programming or general positive/negative experiences?

Thanks!

Not OP but my suggestion on this would be to get a switch with Instant Status, like the Homeseer HS-WS100+ (I believe the only one currently, well worth the money though). That should ensure that you have little to no issues with timing.

Awesome - thanks, Robbie. Install crew is here tomorrow, so I’ll have to start with the GE, as it is in my possession right now.

From reading the manual, I believe a delay of a second or two won’t matter, although the exact timing is not in the documentation.

The only thing mentioned is that exceeding 5 seconds will invoke the last saved state…so I think I will be ok with that; if not, then I’ll get a Homeseer on order! - appreciate the input. Do you have this light, by chance? I’m excited to get a fresh pool finish and new awesome color wheel light! :slight_smile:

Update - the Pentair 5G LED Pool Light works just fine with my GE Smart Switch (12722 on/off; no dimmer). Because the light has a timeout of up to 5 seconds, it appears that there is more than enough time between toggles.

I have only tested this manually; however, so more to report once I get my input_select automations functional.

My new house and pool should be ready next month. I almost posted to ask about this same setup last night (concerned over switch choice to be consistently timed enough for the lights to interpret as ‘flashing’ the switch), but wanted to dig a little more to see if it had already been covered. Thanks for sharing the info, I’ll be setting up the same thing soon!

Did you ever get a solution working? I was unable to.

Also curious as light goes in next week.

My setup has been working great. Full write-up here:

Feel free to review my entire config, here:

Sorry for the delayed response …write-up in the below post

write-up is below in the post.