Send SMS with USB GSM modem when alarm triggered

Hi,

Can confirm E3531 and K3765 working for both sms sending and receiving on HAOS after disabling virtual cd with the following AT commands:

AT^SETPORT="FF;12,10,16" for E3531
AT^U2DIAG=0 for K3765

Teyleten Robot SIM800C USB GSM GPRS Wireless Module Quad-Band, 850/900/1800/1900MHz, CH340T USB Chip Support 2G 3G 4G SIM Card USB Communication SMS Data Transmission with Antenna (SIM800C is New)Teyleten Robot SIM800C USB GSM GPRS Wireless Module Quad-Band, 850/900/1800/1900MHz, CH3

Amazon

I can confirm that with the release 2021.10 the SIM800C modem works for sending and receiving.
The docs have been updated to reflect this.

If you can please report here in you are still seeing issues.

Thanks,

Oscar

2 Likes

I’m hoping to get time to upgrade my system (E220 modem, crash on receive) over the weekend and will report back when I do upgrade

Hello, I am instered by the configuration of that model on Pi4. Does it require an external USB bey as Hawaei Modem ?

Hi Oscar,

great support from you!

I had not updated the Homeassistant for a long time and have now tried it successfully with core-2021.10.2/supervisor-2021.10.0/Home Assistant OS 6.4. After the new integration → deleted the old one and after I restart the Homeassistant it was automatically recognised again.
So I can confirm that sending and receiving SMS with the SIM800C works.

Attached is my configuration in Configuration.yaml (you have to change ‘MyPhonnumber’ to an existing phone number with SMS receiving capability).

sms:
  device: /dev/ttyUSB0

notify:
  - platform: sms
    name: sms_person1
    recipient: 'MyPhonnumber'

My automation to forward the received SMS to sms_person 1. I need this function because I forward the messages from my private phonenumber to the company phonenumber.

alias: read-sms
trigger:
  - platform: event
    event_type: sms.incoming_sms
action:
  - service: notify.sms_person1
    data:
      title: SMS received
        SMS from: {{trigger.event.data.phone}};  Text:
        {{trigger.event.data.text}}
initial_state: 'on'
mode: single

Also a big thanks to everyone else who makes these functions possible!

Better late than never…

I’ve upgraded my HA Container (docker, Ubuntu 18.04 host, Huawei E220 modem) to v2021.10.4 and am pleased to confirm the fix for SMS receiving works beautifully.

I’m trying to debug a new issue with 1 of my 3 sms notify services but am struggling to find a way to look at the outbound notifications (i.e. actual recipient and message used).

So far I’ve tried with:

logger:
  default: warn
  logs:
   homeassistant.components.sms.notify: debug
   homeassistant.components.sms.gateway: debug

I’ve made a separate thread about it here but would appreciate any insights on how to view the actual notify service attributes.

I’ve upgraded this morning to 2021.11.3 and retested - the issue still occurs as per my separate thread (referenced in my previous post).
I still really need some guidance on how I can dig in and resolve this and would really appreciate any help.

Hi all,

How turn on or off device in HA by SMS ?

Thx

Root cause of my issue identified and raised as Unicode SMS messages not supported by some external message recipients · Issue #61488 · home-assistant/core · GitHub - it’s a lack of unicode message support at the recipient end.

React to the event.

trigger:

Please, can yo give me a short example of automation, on/off a relay?
Thx.

Here is an example: I publish to an mqtt queue

alias: Publish incoming SMS
description: ''
trigger:
condition: []
action:
  - service: mqtt.publish
    data:
      topic: sms/incoming_sms
      payload_template: '{{trigger.event.data}}'
mode: queued
max: 50

1 Like

But this example not turn ON or OFF a Relay or other device like SonOff or Shelly relay.

- id: ucidi_becu
  alias: ucidi_becu
  trigger:
  condition:
  - condition: 
    condition: template
    value_template: '{{ "ucidi_becu" in trigger.event.data.text }}'
  action:
  - service: switch.turn_off
    entity_id: switch.hallway

2 Likes

Thank you Petrica, is working.

Hi,
Anyone can suggest me an AliExpress link for an USB GSM module to connect to raspberry 3b+ and HASSOS, I need only to send SMS!

Regards

You think it’s possible to do the same on HASSOS?

HI,

I’m trying to setup the SIM800 usb modem, but I’m not able to add the device to the integration
It seems that the device got detected

21-12-31 02:17:54 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.hardware.monitor] Detecting HardwareAction.ADD hardware /dev/ttyUSB0 - /dev/serial/by-id/usb-1a86_USB_Serial-if00-port0

I tried both the /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/serial/by-id/usb-1a86_USB_Serial-if00-port0, but it doesn’t work

This is my config

can you help me to understand how to troubleshoot the issue?
regards