Send SMS with USB GSM modem when alarm triggered

Oscar

Thankyou for the plugin, it works an absolute treat. I’ve tested incoming and outbound, just what I wanted. This was my last stumbling block to move away from another package :slight_smile: Great work, thankyou

Two questions:

1. Is there a mode where the inbound SMS event is triggered immediately via the inbound sms or is this done via polling the modem ?
  2. If its polling only, can we shorten the polling time ?

Peter
Using Aircard 320U

The plugin is not working anymore on core 2021-07-0

1 Like

Can you add a link to the new issue?

What’s the problem?

Same here:

Logger: homeassistant.components.sms.gateway
 Source: components/sms/gateway.py:167
 Integration: SMS notifications via GSM-modem ([documentation](https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/sms), [issues](https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22integration%3A+sms%22))
 First occurred: 8:04:29 AM (1 occurrences)
 Last logged: 8:04:29 AM
 Failed to initialize, error ERR_NOTSUPPORTED

Tried to add modem again with no luck with /dev/ttyUSB1 or /dev/ttyUSB2

obraz

1 Like

Hello,

I added this issue but I am not sure it is the right place todo it :

I can’t reproduce it as I restored 2021.06.6

Same problem here. :slightly_frowning_face:

I have the same problem. It was working before but after the update did not work anymore. I tried to remove the integration and configure it again but I get always the same message “Failed to connect”

It is exactly the same for me as it writes Birillo71. Update 2021.7.2 doesn’t change anything for the better. After restoring the snapshot to core-2021.6.6, sending SMS works fine again. With the 2021.7.x version, I removed the integration and added it again, but I always received a message during the configuration “Failed to connect”.

Hi, is there any news about the fix to the SMS functionality? I tried also version 2021.7.4 but this is still not working. I reverted again to version 2021.6.6. Apparently this is the latest version on which SMS are working

2 Likes

Exactly the same problem after updating to 2021.7.4 still not working.

1 Like

Does anybody know anything if the SMS notification will come back soon?

1 Like

With HA 2021.8.1 the problem is still present. even trying to remove the integration and re-add it

1 Like

Try 2021.8.3, @ocalvo had submit an improvement on the codes.

Now its working again :slight_smile:
Thank You!

Just a note for people who rely on incoming_sms - stay on 2021.6.6
Receiving SMS is not yet functional in 2021.8.3 although sending is fixed.

Out of curiosity I tested my HA Container install on 2021.8.3 and receiving an SMS caused HA to restart.

Receiving SMS is being worked on by the integration author under Support incoming SMS messages via polling by ocalvo · Pull Request #54237 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

The polling is set at 10 secs, I dont think we should lower this anymore.

Hi,

On HA 2021.8.6 (and I think even since the patch introduced in 8.3) sending of sms works fine however receiving leads to restart of HA with no error showing up in the log.

Thanks!

Can you share logs? I find this unexpected as the sms callback no longer works.

Modem is a SIM800 mentioned by many above.

2021-08-15 12:25:09 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up sms
2021-08-15 12:25:09 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of domain sms took 0.0 seconds
2021-08-15 12:25:15 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sms.gateway] GSM error, your phone does not support incoming SMS notifications!
2021-08-15 12:25:15 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.notify] Setting up notify.sms
2021-08-15 12:25:15 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.notify] Setting up notify.sms
2021-08-15 12:25:15 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor] Setting up sensor.sms
2021-08-15 12:25:22 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.automation.read_sms] Initialized trigger read-sms

I meant to see the logs that caused HA to restart.
Are you seeing a catastrophic failure?