Send SMS with USB GSM modem when alarm triggered

Hi,

My setup:
Home Assistant running on RPi 4
Using Home Assistant OS and supervisor.
Modem : ZTE K3565-Z modem.

Tried to setup via UI.
What should be filled with for the device ?
Tried with /dev/ttyUSB0 and it failed.

Did I also understand correctly that for my setup (Home Assistant OS) rule to convert mass storage to Serail is not needed ? I have not created any rule.

Thanks for support in advance.

Sorry it seems to be working with device /dev/ttyUSB1.
I still have to test, sending and receiving sms. Thanks.

I don’t think that I have a manual configuration, because when I saw an error with configuration file, which I mentioned, I deleted it and then I tried configuration only via UI.

I’m using USB version.

Was this device working before? Or is this the first time using this device?

This is the first time using this device.

I did an experiment. I installed new clean instance of Home Assistant to Virtualbox, tried USB and without result, but in logs I saw maybe different error:

Logger: homeassistant.components.sms.gateway
Source: components/sms/gateway.py:173
Integration: sms (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 16:04:51 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 16:04:51

Failed to initialize, error ERR_DEVICEOPENERROR

and then in console there is this error:

VirtualBox_HomeAssistantVirtual_04_10_2022_16_07_41

Updated to 2022.10.1 this morning - and the fix for GSM-alplhabet works perfectly.

Many thanks for all your efforts on this integration.

1 Like

Hello, after hassio upgrade to 2022.10.2 and restart SMS integration hangs during the startup and blocks the whole startup from finishing:
Logger: homeassistant.bootstrap
Source: bootstrap.py:441
First occurred: 7:53:58 AM (7 occurrences)
Last logged: 8:00:00 AM
Waiting on integrations to complete setup: sms

I Have tried several times to restart hassio and even reboot the whole HassOS but every time it hangs on startup when starting SMS integration.
On older hassio versions this happened 1-2 times but restart always helped.
Now the hassio startup routine never finishes which is a problem.

1 Like

UPDATE: after waiting several more minutes the startup sequence finally finished.
Maybe some other upgrade process delayed the startup sequence and system blamed the sms integration (not sure).

Hi !

Just received SIM800C device ( https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07RLN7DMJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ).
On my Home Assistant it is recognized as /dev/ttyUSB1 :

[262120.444554] usb 1-1.2: new full-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-pci
[262120.535925] usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=1a86, idProduct=7523, bcdDevice=81.33
[262120.535953] usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[262120.535964] usb 1-1.2: Product: USB Serial
[262120.537041] ch341 1-1.2:1.0: ch341-uart converter detected
[262120.538331] usb 1-1.2: ch341-uart converter now attached to ttyUSB1

I tried to configure it in Home Assistant but :

1 Like

Can you remove the integration, turn off the host conputer and try to add it again?

My bad it was my fault : SIM card’s pin code was activated….
It’s working well now :slight_smile:

The problem is repeating every few restarts and always stops at SMS integration.
Then it takes about 10 minutes until the it goes away and the startup sequence continues.
Can it be related to the fact my modem has very weak signal, connection is active for just a few seconds and then lost again?

I have exact same issue (reported a few lines above). It started to show up after OS 9.0 upgrade. The workaround I apply for the time being - any time I need to reboot my RPi I first unplug the USB dongle modem. Then HA boots up with no delay. Once HA is up and running I plug the stick back in and the integration starts with no issue.

Interesting, so it could be related to HAOS.
I use OdroidC4 HAOS installation with the lastest versions of all components.
Home Assistant 2022.10.5
Supervisor 2022.10.0
Operating System 9.2
Frontend 20221010.0 - latest
Today the 4th HA restart got stuck again for 10 minutes, other 3 restarts finished until 90 seconds.

Was having the same problem with my USB 800C, found out I am inserting the SIM card the wrong way, had to flip it it make it work :slight_smile:

For the record:

Home Assistant 2022.10.5
Supervisor 2022.10.0
Operating System 9.2
Frontend 20221010.0 - latest

The issue persists.

Can someone gather this info an create a new issue under the haos repo? ( not the core repo)

OK, I have created an issue: HA restart on HAOS with USB modem hangs for about 10 minutes (happens every few restarts) · Issue #2205 · home-assistant/operating-system · GitHub
Seems that upgrade to HAOS 9.3 did not help.

Also you shouldn’t forget to unlock the SIM-card before trying to use it.

I tried to use my SIM-card on 800c and got a device error.

After removing the sim-lock I could then add the GSM Modem (SMS) integration.

It would be cool to be able to enter the SIM-Pin into the “setup integration” screen when trying to add the integration

Hi, since this morning (i upgrade to 2022.11) when i try to send an sms, sometime the integration crash.
Someone else in the same condition?
Thank you.