Sending notifications to a whatsapp group

Hi,
the group-id has to be requested through whatsapp, this means that the requests are not against the quota limit. Are you sending the group-id whatsapp on the group?, if so then the bot will send the group-id number to the user who owns the group.

Make sure you follow this guide:
https://rapidapi.com/inutil-inutil-default/api/whin2/tutorials/how-to-use-the-groups-category-to-send-and-receive-whatsapps-to%2Ffrom-groups%3F-1

Can we send video or photos?

Yes, any type of message that you can send on whatsapp can be sent, like: Images, videos, documents, locations,…

See details here:

Am I missing something or can messages only sent to groups created by whin?
I’m looking to send messages to an already existing group. I tried to invite the whin bot to the group but it doesn’t seem to work.

To avoid people using the service for spam, whin cannot be added to an existing group.

The only way to add whin to a group is asking it to create one for you, then you will be promoted to Admin of the group, and you can invite to join the group whoever you wish.

Once the group is created (and managed by you), you can ask it to leave the group, or demote it to regular participant.

Again, this is done to prevent abuse.

1 Like

Hi
I’ve followed the instructions but the bot never sends me the group-id. I’m sending the command on the whatsapp group. I’ve also tried using the group id that whatsapp provides in the joining link but it says that the group is not a whin group.

Any ideas of what is going on?

Thanks

If you send the text group-id from within the group that whin created for your, it will send you a whatsapp (directly to you, not on the group chat) with the id. The process is pretty simple and straightforward.

Watch this video showing how to do it from the api playground:

This is exactly what I have been doing, I send the command group-id in the group chat, the bot never sends me back a message with the group id. It has created the group correctly, made me admin, the bot is a member of the group, but it just never replies

1 Like

just checked the logs…

You are sending the command to the bot… and this is WRONG.

As I told you earlier (and the video shows) you have to write group-id on the GROUP chat.

I did that ONCE. After a few times sending it in the group and getting no reply. I’ve sent it on the group multiple times with no success so far. And yes, I know the first try was wrong.

So you found a bug :slight_smile: We will need to correct it.

This is happening cause you’re sending the message with expiring messages (7 days on the screenshot you attached).
While we correct the code, this is the workaround: Deactivate the expiring messages, then send the command group-id on the group,… you should get the group number from whin. Then activate back the expiring messages feature.

Let me know if this works.

1 Like

That worked!
Thanks for your help

Actually I think the expiring messages is a good idea to have activated as nobody probably needs a ton of messages there.

Fully agree. I have expiring messages “on”, but I requested the group-id before activating it… that’s why we did not realize this was happening. Thanks for sharing it.

We did a change, and now the group-id is shown when the group is just created (as subject of the group)… I believe the set-up is easier.

3 Likes

Quick one: do the 20 api calls per month limit for the free plan mean that HA can send only 20 notifications per month ?

The limit on the free plan is set to 20 whatsapps per month, which should be enough for most use-cases.

mine stopped working at the beginning of April. I’ve been using it since 10 Jan. The 20 messages isn’t a lot. I use it to send power outage notifications to our community as we get load shed a few times a day and people run generators and they keep asking on the community groups if the power is off and then is back. Their pricing plans are steep for “private” use especially if you are an individual user helping a non-profit organisation. I can understand the costs if you are a business

Thanks for this. It looks great!

Just a question, 20 notifications isn’t going to be nearly enough for our household. What are the options (and costs) of increasing this limit?

If you’re working for a non-profit organization, you can send an email and ask to be included on a special plan with limits raised, we will be happy to collaborate :slightly_smiling_face:

The free Tier is sized based on our own needs. After several years of using whin on our own Home Labs, 20 is above the average number of alerts we got on a monthly basis.
That said, there are some users who need to get a whatsapp message every-time their front door is open / closed and that’s okay for us, but this is not the use-case we were trying to solve when whin was designed.

To your question: the paid plans start at less than $2/month to send 240 msg/day (that’s 7200 msg/month)

Thanks for this. That makes sense. Our use for our home would require probably about 10 messages per day (alarm activated / alarm deactivated / washing machine finished etc). For now we’re probably better off staying with individual messages to users (myself and my wife) though given the current limits.