Sensors not Always Triggering

Apples and pears? Is the 55uA the continuous power draw? That’s over 10 times more than the ultra low power reed sensors (0.47uA). No wonder you need more than 10 times (2.500mAh 2xAA instead of ~200mAh CR2032) the battery capacity to achieve (maybe?) the same runtime (or less). Is there even a chance that Alkaline don’t leak? I have my doubts (and use NiMH instead for my last few AA/AAA scenarios) :wink:

But in all a nice DIY build you got there - little costly but probably suits some needs :clap:

And what coincidence that you get 10 times more range with 10 times more power invested :joy:

EDIT: Looks like a Xiaomi LYWSD03MMC thingy (Thermo-/Hygrometer with Display) might a cheap(er?) competitor to your self build which also comes with a nice housing :house:
Average consumption (with display on) is about 15uA beside it features encrypted payloads and can be easily hacked to add a reed switch or button or even use it as thermo-/hygrostat. Beside the display can be used to display custom payloads send from esphome nodes too. In the past you could buy them in packs of four for around $14 (~$3,50 each) and they came with battery. Downside definitely is the battery runtime which is only about 1.5 years on the 200mAh coin cell. The thing doesn’t talk on 433MHz but on 2.4GHz/BLE :signal_strength:

It’s an average with a 11dBm tx that sends data every 5 minutes. The kind of tx that works for more than 5m…

Yours are door sensors. Mine are temperature sensors. The former can entirely cut their power when the reed is open, giving them essentially 0 power draw in standby… The latter can’t do that. That’s called physics. It has absolutely nothing to do with tx performance of either device.

This is getting ridiculous now :man_facepalming:

If your sensors that stop working if you stand in their line of sight fits your use case, great. It doesn’t fit mine. But hey, maybe my expectations about the performance of my devices are just a little higher :wink: Whatever works for you (unless you stand in front of it) !

Anyway I’m out.

That’s quite a huge power draw then and on a typical 200mAh coin cell (which is not prone to leak unlike alkaline batteries after a couple of years) it probably doesn’t even last half a year? I really wouldn’t call that low power anymore… but if you could make of old parts of yours for it that’s already great.

I think you misunderstand something here. In my case (“proper installed”) I’m not able to shield the sensor in anyway. Not with my body and also not with metal coated/shieleded glas. That’s simply because I took care installing the thing correctly and have my receivers in a range that I receive each and every payload. :signal_strength:

Hence I wrote :point_down:

Most people don’t take to much care and just install it and call it a day if it works at that very moment.

But when in real life the service degrades people seeking for help like in this thread here :bulb:

This reed sensors of mine are simply great, they just very reliable do there job and that with a power draw less than a uA. I’m not aware of any other battery powered device I can call my own which was such a good investment. :moneybag:

Yes that equals more than 30 years on planet earth :earth_americas: (Obviously even a Li-coin cell will probably discharge completely in that time)

I would might suffer with your “superior” devices changing batteries every other year - I started already to hard wire some of my Xiaomi LYWSD03MMC to a PSU because of their quite weak battery runtime of only ~1.5 years just mentioned. :chart_with_downwards_trend:

You do you :wink: But next time maybe try to read before claiming other people devices crap and what not :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

EDIT.: Regarding the ridiculous alkaline batteries… they mostly are crusty burger after a few years in my experiences. But maybe you got some “superior” ones - who knows :joy:

You do realize that those can easily be substituted by lithium cells, right ? I used those because I happened to have some in a drawer. It’s not that a circuit would stop working because the battery chemistry changes…

What a productive discussion we are having here. Thankfully the op said his problem was solved.

Sensors can fit needs of one and not of another, I understand that the Digoo door sensor may not fit someone needs.
When this sensor was released, it was compact, low power and with a well finished case. Less bulky than the gs-wds07 that had better range.
While it’s true that the sensor’s range may be limited, it doesn’t inherently render it ineffective. The value of any given sensor ultimately depends on the specific needs and setup of each user.

Do you guys need to spend hours debating about this sensor, this is up to you but I’m sure you have better things to do. :slight_smile:

1 Like