Setting Home radius in new Zones UI

It appears new Zones UI doesn’t give me an option to set the “Home” zone radius. Do I still have to use the manual zone: method?

zone: # Change default radius to 50
  - name: Home
    latitude: !secret latitude
    longitude: !secret longitude
    radius: 50
    icon: mdi:home
4 Likes

Yeah, I don’t use the frontend method, one of my package files has all my zones set up in it.
Not had a problem with it.
I’m building a system based on a pi 4, did not want to do a restore as I’m changing z wave sticks, dropped all my yaml files in place and it picked the zones up fine following a restart

Yeah, the zone: definitions do still work. I converted my zones to the new UI method (only had a few). But I noticed I couldn’t change the Home zone radius via the UI. Seems that’s still stuck at 100 meters…That’s pretty far - over 300 feet. Our home / lot isn’t quite that large. :wink:

I think that life 360 has a minimum radius of 250 feet so that seems consistent

You can also change it through the customize.yaml:

zone.home:
  radius: 20

Or going through Configuration > Customizations

18 Likes

It seems it does limit to 250, but we don’t use Life360.

For us, it’s not really about where we are, but about arming the house when we’re out of LOS. I want HA to mark us “Away” when we leave our block.

Sorry did not mean to imply you used life360 merely that it might be a common assumption /convention.
You could always design another zone with the same co-ords as home but with a smaller radius and call it Alarm or something, you might need to debounce it with a 30 second off delay incase your devices jump a bit (some do, some don’t)

I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong, but the new zones editor seems to ignore the home zone radius if I use customize to override it (even after relaoding configurations and zones). The only way I could get it to pick it up was by defining it under zone: in configuration.yaml

Yes it’s what @guice report in the first message and it’s for the moment it’s not modifiable with the new zones editor.

I added back my !include zones.yaml in config. It changed my home zone radius based upon that file. I can still use new editor to add new zones… all from my zones.yaml are not editable.

It looks like you can use both manual zones in config and with new editor…

Note that I commented out all the local config (Lat/Long, timezone etc.)

Yes, you can. It did say in the release notes the old zones will still work, but they will be set as read-only.

My original issue was the Home zone still wasn’t editable even after I took out the manual zones. Apparently that wasn’t set as editable with the new Zones UI.

got it. I wanted a workaround to increase home zone radius. Leaving home defined with radius in config meets that need, and still enables adding new zones via new editor.

Thank you!

With the recent UI changes I can no longer find “Customizations” and the configuration.yaml setting doesn’t seem to work anymore. Does anyone know where this configuration migrated to for updating the radius on the Home zone?

1 Like

You are correct about the UI changes: it’s no longer in the UI. But, the configuration.yaml modifications should still be working. Ensure you have it included if you’re using customize.yaml:

homeassistant:
    customize: !include customize.yaml

PS: Oh, I just realized the format of the customization is different within customize.yaml. Here’s the format for my radius:

zone.home:
  radius: 50
6 Likes

Perfect, thanks! I was not realizing that was under the customize key when I was trying to set it up!

So I’m getting an invalid error with zone.home. What did I miss?