Setting Hue lamp default power-on without bridge?

You’ve been asked several times which hub/integration you are using. This is essential, without this information there is no way to explain if and how it can be done.

Instead of providing this information you start to rant about how things would have been different if you had been on the Hue QA team, your 20 years of enginering experience, etc. and you think posting a job opening is “smartass” response? It only shows your level of frustration is way higher as your sense of humor.

As @anon43302295 I’m out as well.

I’m sorry, I didn’t see those replies asking, for some reason I only got email notifications from some of the responses, I see several more replies that weren’t there when I last looked. I didn’t mean to be using angry language, emotion does not carry well over text and I’m somewhat autistic which doesn’t help either. Communicating can be a challenge under the best of circumstances and it’s even harder when I’m tired, late at night after a long week at work and frustrated from banging my head against a (unrelated) problem for hours making less progress than I’d hoped. I didn’t realize anyone was sitting around waiting for me to answer, I had to get up to do something else and was not at my PC and assumed this was an asynchronous medium and an immediate response not necessarily expected. I’m using a Sonoff zigbee bridge with Tasmota ZHA.

Regarding the Hue hub, the way it works is that with the bulb connected to the hub, the hub can update the firmware on the bulb OTA and also set certain parameters such as the default power-on behavior. Once it has been set it is persistent on the bulb so in theory I should be able to pair my bulbs to a hub, set the behavior and then un-pair them and have it keep working the way I want. I have several friends with real Hue hubs and they’re not particularly expensive so I can acquire one if need be, but if it was possible to just send the required commands using the hardware I have that would save me time, and it would save having another piece of hardware laying around that I only need for a single use. That’s fine though, as much as I wish everything were open, I can’t completely blame Philips for expecting people to use these bulbs with their hub.

In case anyone finds themselves in the same situation and just wants an answer, I figured out how to do this on my own and will share it here. It is not only possible, it’s trivial, at least with the 3rd gen Hue lamps, takes only a few minutes and doesn’t rely on the zigbee network at all so your configuration is irrelevant. Simply install the Hue bluetooth app on your mobile device, power cycle the bulb to put it in pairing mode and the app will find it. Then go to Settings> Power On Behavior and choose the setting you want. That’s it, easy, works great, gives me exactly what I wanted, and the zigbee connection is unaffected and still works just the way it did before. Happy wife, happy life, my only remaining gripe about Hue is the price but it is what it is, I haven’t found a cheaper lamp that performs as well. Hope this saves somebody some time and frustration.

Thanks @james_s - but are you sure that the ZHA connection is unaffected from the factory reset of the bulb? I’ve done with one of my LWT001 and after pairing it to hue bridge I can’t control the bulb from HA. Or what kind of “power cycle the bulb to put it in pairing mode” do you mean? Do you mean the 5 times power cycle?

I`ve tried it many times: I could only pair the lamp with one bridge: Philips Hue Bridge or ZHA - but I can´t get the both hubs working with one lamp. So I think I will pair all lamps with Philips Hue bridge and all sensors and switches with ZHA.

@sjee I´ve the same question and I’ve just migrated from Philips Hue Bridge to ZHA with CC2531 because of slow sensors and switches. Do you know if my current bridge ZHA could set the power loss recovery to bulbs?

Hi - I had the same issue as others have described… I couldn’t use the bluetooth to configure the power loss recovery setting and have the bulb remain on zigbee. Re-connecting to zigbee seemed to reset that power loss setting to default.

I just managed to get the bulb configured yesterday via ZHA to not come back on after a power outage - so thought I would post the solution here in case others come looking.

Steps:

1. Navigate to the bulb device.
  2. Click the “Manage Clusters” setting
  3. Select “OnOff” in the Clusters dropdown
  4. Select the “start_up_on_off” attribute in the Attributes of the selected cluster dropdown
  5. If you want to see the current value, hit the Get Zigbee Attribute button.
  6. Enter in On or Off into the Value field. Then click the Set Zigbee Attribute button
  7. Confirm it’s now changed by again hitting the Get Zigbee Attribute button.

5 Likes

Thank you for these instructions. I have 3 hue color bulbs connected to a Sonoff zigbee stick via ZHA. However, I dont seem to be able to successfully issue the “set” command, e.g. subsequent calls to “get” return the old value (“None”). Any clues?

When you’re entering the value are you matching the case of “On” and “Off”? I seem to remember this mattered

It is really a shame that this isn’t possible without using the hue bridge.

By chance I got hold of the following lamps from a German “quality light manufacturer” (even though these lights seemed to be bought in / are made in China…)… But they have this feature out of the box that after power loss (in my case using “normal” light switches ) they restore to the last set value. This really is a game changer in real world scenarios.

BEGA LED-Leuchtmittel · BEGA
Bega 13557 LED-Leuchtmittel für E27 2700K-6500K . - Tandmore.de

I actually followed @bowler instructions to the letter and it worked for all my Hue Lights. I also did these for a TRADFRI bulb E14W and worked like a charm.

One important note, for those that had an issue, which i found after a bit of experimentation.

After choosing the OnOff endpoint and select the start_up_on_off attribute, just write “off” to the value and then Set Zibgee Attribute button. If you click on Get Zibgee Attribute, which returns a value “StartUpOnOff.on” and just change the on to off, StartUpOnOff.Off, and click on set this does not work for some reason.

2 Likes

You wrote this 8 hours ago and I’m already appreciating it! Thanks for the pro tip man! :smiley:

Any idea how you would do this if you’re using zigbee2mqtt instead of zha?

I’ve not tested this, but in searching for an answer using ZHA, I came across this somewhere:

Topic: zigbee2mqtt/FRIENDLY_NAME/set

Payload:
{
“hue_power_on_behavior”: “recover”
}

I’m guessing you can change the recover to on/off as well. I suppose the way to test if that might work, would be to try using the “get” topic and see what it returns?

1 Like

Thanks it works well!

Wow! I really glad to found your conversation, but it seems that my ‘Fair’ lamp can not accept the command.

The lamp is: Hue White ambiance Fair ceiling light | Philips Hue

I tried all the possible way. With off, with Off immediately after the control panel and after I push [GET ZIGBEE ATTRIBUTE] button, but when I check-back the current value with [GET] button at the end, the result is always None.

The problem could be maybe an old firmware? But if I’m right I can not upgrade it through Home Assistant’s ZHA. Because I do not/wil not have Hue Bridge maybe I simply can not do it. Official specs. says, that the lamp has Hue - Bluetooth connectivity also, so maybe I could try with the official Android application, but I’m fear that it could broke my current Zigbee association, what was a litt bit hard to set.

Any opinions maybe?

1 Like

This was my first time digging into the Zigbee2MQTT dev console, but I managed to figure it out with the help of @bowler’s ZHA instructions above as a reference. Here are my steps:

1. Navigate to the Hue device.
  2. Click the “Dev console” tab.
  3. Select “11” under the Endpoint dropdown (this was already selected by default for my device).
  4. Select “OnOff” under the Cluster dropdown.
  5. Select “startUpOnOff” under the Attribute dropdown. A “startUpOnOff” field will appear below.
  6. Enter “0” into the startUpOnOff field and click the Write button.

Thank you works like a charm.

Please help me a little bit. I don’t have dev console… How can i activate it?

Solved. Very old Zigbee2MQTT version. I added again the repository and update from 1.18 to 1.28.

Breaking change, need to repair and change automation.