Setting up Google Actions for Assistant

so if you add or modify an entity, how do you get GA to recognize this.

I changed name of switch from switch.southdoor to switch.entrydoor.
GA still had it as switch.southdoor and I could not get this to change
ultimately I “unlink” my account then “link” my account again. This updated name.

what is correct way to do this?

Perhaps you just need to wait. GA is seeing the exposed domain so if you add/remove an entity from a domain it should refresh in the GA app but maybe it’s not instantly.

Color is not supported yet. The default action if it doesn’t support something is to turn it off.

Both these are in the works AFAIK.

This is the only way for now. There is a PR that will implement the request_sync as a HA service - hopefully should appear in the next release.

IMHO, Google should have implemented request sync as an option in Home Control rather than expect every provider to do that from their services.

Thanks, I have the same problem and a factory reset did the trick.

Just wanted to drop in and give a big thanks to @PhilK for this.

4 Likes

I have followed every step on https://home-assistant.io/components/google_assistant/ successfully but when I want to add my device on the Google Home app I always get an error “The setting could not be updated. Check your connection.”.
What could be the problem and solution?

This must be an exceedingly stupid question, but I get stuck at step 6

Open the Google Assistant app and go into Settings > Home Control

I can’t find an app called Google Assistant on my phone, nor a setting Home Control in any Google app I can find on my phone. Can anybody point me to the right direction?

Have you added another language? Then you have to do this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46693406/how-can-i-delete-support-for-a-language-from-the-actions-on-google-console

Open google app and go on settings, or keep pressing home button and then the blue button on the right corner and then settings.

Open google app and go on settings,

Thanks for your help. Do you mean app called ‘Google’ with the search bar and than card for local weather, traffic and news? If I go to settings I get a list with Notifications, Accounts & Privacy, Search Language, but no Home Control.

Download the app called Home. Its in the settings menu for that app.

Can someone help me?

Im trying to setup google assistant, but im stuck on step 1 believe it or not…

Install the gactions CLI (you’ll use this later) - you can download this anywhere, just remember where you put it for later (and don’t forget to run chmod +x gactions)

Where do i install gactions CLI? On my windows pc or the pi? If on the pi, how do i install it? And where/what/how do i run chmod +x gactions?

Create a new file named project.json (in the same directory you downloaded gactions to) and replace the [YOUR HOME ASSISTANT URL] below with the URL you use to access Home Assistant. Note: This must be an HTTPS URL to work.

And here, does this mean i need to have a duckdns url setup? with encryption?

Please help

Thanks
Gershy13

On any linux system. So your pi is the best option:

wget <url of gactions>
chmod +x gactions

Yes you need /api/google_assistant to be publicly available and encryption must be activated

This is the settings screen from the Google app

And this from the Home app. I really can’t find the Home Control menu.

thanks, so what would be the url of gactions? and how would i set a directory? im not very familiar with linux…

and how would i make it public and enable encryption? Ive got duckdns working, but its not https.

in the duckdns lets encypt addon for hassio, im getting this issue… tips?

Details:
{
“type”: “urn:acme:error:malformed”,
“detail”: “Error creating new authz :: DNS name does not have enough labels”,
“status”: 400
}

use the google assistant/search app, on my S7 it’s long pressing home to get google search

Anyone here who knows an answer to this?

I had that problem because /api/google_assistant was protected by a client certificate. That probably applies to a password too.