Setting up OpenZWave from 0.110

I have the key, the problem is how to enter it in the webui. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve tried : zwave_network_key: "0x01, 0x02, ... ", but that does not work, it gets replaced with

zwave_network_key:<
0x01, 0x02, ... 

for some reason?

I removed the Open Z-Wave Daemon Addon and the Z-Wave over MQTT Integration. The new addon and Integration finds all my devices, however i need to rename all devices and entities again. Iā€™m considering rolling back to Z-Wave over MQTT (Pre-Release) and waiting a little longer for a migration tool.

This totally hosed my Zwave network that has been rock solid for years now. Documentation is not well written and has cost many hours of troubleshooting. There should be standards before coming out of beta.

Thats why it is still in beta. What issues did you run into, perhaps submit issues so they can be rectified. The software clearly states it is still in development so you only have yourself and what has been written as guides by others here so far.

I have a small zwave network so didnā€™t run into any issues but users with larger networks like yourself should definitely detail what specific things you encountered to improve it.

Been in IT and Development for many years and understand beta releases, however this is more like a ALPHA release then a beta. And IMO it should not be published out to the masses, To many issues, documentation is not well written, and just not mapped out very well.

2 Likes

If you really do work in IT, then Iā€™m sure you recognise the risks you take when you CHOOSE to install software that is very clearly marked BETA.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not the point @ccollinscj is trying to make. He is saying that the way it was released it does not deserve a BETA status, which I agree with. Very unorganized release. I was unable to find any official documentation describing changes and mentioning removal of the current config gui and all of the features tied to it. I donā€™t even see anything describing what is wrong with the current Z-Wave functionality and why is it getting replaced. This is a huge breaking change for people. My network is small and I was able to rollback, but i did have to spend some time getting things to run properly after realizing that this ā€œBETAā€ crippled my current Z-Wave situation and added absolutely nothing of value.

1 Like

If everything was working fine for you on the existing installation, I have to ask, why did you move to the new Beta then? Lack of documentation should have been a warning?

As for why?

1. the existing integration is using OZW 1.4, which is > 4 years old and hasnā€™t been maintained upstream for almost 2 years.
  2. Plenty of issues with 1.4, such as ā€œhacksā€ to support central scene, hundreds of bugs fixed in 1.6, new features/functionality on the backend, and architectual decisions made in 1.4 days that donā€™t work so well in this day and age. Spend a few minutes searching the forums for issues with 1.4 would clearly show its ā€œageā€

Please remember, this is a community driven integration. As volunteers we only have so much time each day to work on this, and with 3000+ Z-Wave devices on the market, no way we can figure out every single use case, or potential issue people will face by ourselves. Hence the Beta Release.

Its unfortunate you had issues with it, but there is 0 I can do to help you and thus ā€œmatureā€ the new solution (at least on the OpenZWave side) with feedback such as ā€œcrippledā€ my network.

As I pointed out in another thread (So when is OpenZWave (OZW) version 1.6 coming to Home Assistant?) Iā€™d encourage you, if you are up-to it, to contribute in a positive matter to this release, instead of a blanket criticism. Its very discouraging to those that put in hundreds of hours writing and supporting code .

9 Likes

@Fishwaldo I moved because I like tinkering with things. Itā€™s not a problem for me if i blow up the entire install. And this is not just blanket baseless criticism. I enjoy Home Assistant immensely and have been running it for almost 2 years. I donā€™t have a stable install I break things and i fix them. I love it. And I appreciate the work you guys put into it. But you have to agree that just throwing couple more lines of info into readme wouldā€™ve been a good idea. Just to avoid misunderstandings like this.

2 Likes

Do keep in mind Fishwaldo is the openzwave maintainer and has no control over the documentation or code provided for the OpenZwave Integration in Home Assistant.

Tried the new integration, set up all my devices an got it all responding, but now it wonā€™t start up and the log reports this

INFO (SyncWorker_15) [supervisor.docker.interface] Clean addon_core_zwave application
20-07-05 11:16:56 ERROR (SyncWorker_5) [supervisor.docker] Canā€™t start addon_core_zwave: 403 Client Error: Forbidden (ā€œendpoint with name addon_core_zwave already exists in network hassioā€)

Well, you guys have convinced meā€¦ I will be waiting to mess with Open Z-Wave until it is out of beta or I see a lot more maturity in it. I just got my first 3 Z-Wave devices transitioned from my SmartThings hub last night. It took me hours just to figure that out. I was considering trying to dig deeper into Open Z-Wave today, but I am thinking I may just wait for the general release at this point.

1 Like

My HASS is running under Debian 10 and I have a RaZberry hat in my Pi that is accessible via IP:port using ser2net and Iā€™ve been using it with HomeSeer like a Z-Net via IP:port. Is there a way to do this in HA OpenZWave?
Either IP:Port & ser2net
or socat & ser2net
or maybe usbip server/client??

It would be easier to just run ozwdaemon on your Pi.

Duh! Sometimes one tends to overlook the obvious!
Thanksā€¦

You could of course use some sort of USB over IP solution and connect to it the same way you would with the old ZWave, some people have been successful (some not). But if you already have a Pi serving as the USB host, then it feels like unnecessary overhead.

I canā€™t seem to use usbip as the RaZberry HAT is a UART on the Pi and does not have a USB ID. Nor can I use ser2net / socat since everything I look at in HASS seems to requires a local physical USB serial port and the socat creates a symlink for /dev/ttyAMA0 to /dev/pts/1 and the symlinked /dev/ttyAMA0 is not an option in pulldowns.
Iā€™ve installed docker and openzwave/ozwdaemon:allinone-latest on my Pi (192.168.1.101) but Iā€™m somewhat at a loss as how to properly configure it. Iā€™ve installed mosquito and the MQTT integration on my HASS machine (192.168.1.104) but it seems to want a local ozwdaemonā€¦

Sorry, missed the razberry part. I havenā€™t heard of anyone using any network serial access with that.

Iā€™ve installed docker and openzwave/ozwdaemon:allinone-latest on my Pi (192.168.1.101) but Iā€™m somewhat at a loss as how to properly configure it. Iā€™ve installed mosquito and the MQTT integration on my HASS machine (192.168.1.104) but it seems to want a local ozwdaemonā€¦

Thereā€™s a pretty extensive example to configure the container on the github page. What part is tripping you up? GitHub - OpenZWave/qt-openzwave: QT5 Wrapper for OpenZWave

You configure the MQTT integration to connect to your mosquitto broker, and configure the ozw docker container with the same broker.

So I started from square oneā€¦
Installed Mosquitto with anonymous; true
MQTT integration popped up & I configured it
On Pi, started a docker with:

docker run -d \
    --name ozwd \
    --restart=unless-stopped \
    --security-opt seccomp=unconfined \
    --device=/dev/ttyAMA0 \
    -v $PWD/ozw:/opt/ozw/config \
    -e MQTT_SERVER="192.168.1.104" \
    -e USB_PATH="/dev/ttyAMA0" \
    -e OZW_NETWORK_KEY="0xBC,0x87,0xD5,0xE2,0x51,0xB3,0xA7,0x44,0x05,0x20,0xEA,0x0E,0xBC,0xF9,0xD6,0x17" \
    -p 1983:1983 \
    -p 5901:5901 \
    -p 7800:7800 \
    openzwave/ozwdaemon:allinone-latest

VNC to 192.168.1.101:5901 shows me this:

In Integrations I now see thisā€¦
OZWD (Beta) Discovered

Do I need to configure it as the final step or is it just the local equivalent of the ozwd thatā€™s now running on my Pi?
I am not seeing anything in MQTT Explorerā€¦

After quite a few hours of tinkering Iā€™ve discovered that my dockerized ozwdaemon will work with my spare Nortek HUSBZB-1 but not with my RaZberry card which it is supposed to. I created two docker containers to test and the ttyUSB0 one works fine with the Nortekā€¦

docker run -d \
    --name ozw_AMA0 \
    --device=/dev/ttyAMA0 \
    -e USB_PATH="/dev/ttyAMA0" \
    -e OZW_NETWORK_KEY="0xBC,0x87,0xD5,0xE2,0x51,0xB3,0xA7,0x44,0x05,0x20,0xEA,0x0E,0xBC,0xF9,0xD6,0x17" \

docker run -d \
    --name ozw_USB0 \
    --device=/dev/ttyUSB0 \
    -e USB_PATH="/dev/ttyUSB0" \

I also found this link which explains that I do need to add the OZW (Beta) integration as the final step in connecting HA with OZW.

Now if I could only get OZW to talk to my RaZberry cardā€¦