Setup VLAN and HA tutorial

It is me who should thank you :slight_smile: Your last post is a living proof to other readers that the tutorial lives on! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi. I have my Home Assistant in other VLAN 10 than VLAN where is my Samsung QLED TV VLAN default.
Communication between this two VLANs is setu as access. From Home Assistant to TV and from TV to Home Assistant. But i can not add TV to HA because it is in ither VLAN. Is any solution for it ?
My network in home is build on Ubiquiti UDM pro and switches.

Home Assistant i have installed as Home Assistant operating system on my HP T630 termina. HA is connected by LAN. HP T630 also has wifi card but when i connect from HA by WIFI to VLAN SSID whee is TV it looks that works but sometime HA has a problem because try get from Ubiquiti the same address on LAN and WIFI. I have setup FIX IP on wifi from TV VLAN but it no working also…

Hi, a bit of a confusing setup, but why would you create two different VLANs to allow access between them? Sounds you are defeating the separation purpose. Do they have different networks / ip ranges?

My option would be to create/add a new network interface and proper VLAN in HA that matches whatever VLAN your Samsung TV already has and let them talk directly (via switch, obviously). In summary:

• Create in HA an interface with the same tagged VLAN id as your Samsung TV.
  • Configure your ubiquity switches to allow tagged “vlan id of samsung TV” packets to travel to your HA new VLAN tagged network interface.
  • Turn off wifi on Samsung TV to avoid routing problems, if you don’t need it.

or…

You can use mDNS, just like explained here:

Vlan with HA has other adresses.

How on HA create other interface with VLaN ? I use Home assistant operating system 9.5

Wifi on TV i no use. Tv is connected by LAN wire.
Do i must in setup tv disable wifi?

Tutorial to create/add network VLANs in HA assistant is here (using the HA terminal addon and reading this whole thread might prove useful):

If wireless is not configured/enabled in Samsung TV, you are good to go :slight_smile:

Disable multicast DNS in Ubiquiti no resolve me my problem.

Create network terminal is not the same as connect from Home Assistant from Settings > Network ?

I installed addon terminal to my Home Assistant OS. I try login to root, hassos and admin and i can not. I dont know how i can do it to create this vlan.

But if i have in my terminal HP T630 also wifi card i can create interface with VLAN on this wifi card ?

First go to Settings / Add-ons and install “SSH & Web Terminal” from the HA repository, configure the add-on as per instructions in add-on documentation, then you’ll be able to have root access in terminal and proceed from the “nmcli” commands found in tutorial to create VLANs.
I think you should ALWAYS use cable connection whenever possible, but you can use wireless if no other option is available…
Here is my Terminal add-on output:

~ whoami
root

With root access you can proceed to create interfaces. If you have no root, something is wrong with add-on configuration.

1 Like

Now i use wire interface LAN on my HP T630 terminal with Home Assistant operating system . But if i good understand i must create next interface on HA and connect it to vlan where is my Samsung TV ? And then Home Assistant will be use two interface one LAN interface to vlan IOT and second which now you suggest me to configure with VLAN Samsung TV?

yes, that’s about it :slight_smile:

Remember, each VLAN and interface should have different networks (ex: 192.168.0.0, 192.168.1.0) and different gateways. HA is only a member of the network segment and not the gateway for the network clients!
Samsung should be able to see the HA interface on the same network segment but have a different gateway and dns server (your firewall/router, maybe?)

Yes networks interface has other address. HA is in IoT network but Samsung TV is in default VLAN.
Now when i have connected TV to default vlan , HA found integration for Samsung TV but when i try konfigure it i get error in HA that is some error with websocket something. And can not connect.

Samsung should be able to see the HA interface on the same network segment but have a different gateway and dns server (your firewall/router, maybe?)

What you mean ?

How does the Samsung TV get to the internet for updates? What’s the exit/gateway IP? What’s the dns resolver IP?
IP example for Samsung TV VLAN network:
192.168.0.0 - network
192.168.0.1 - router/firewall/gateway (maybe dhcp and dns server too?)
192.168.0.2 - Samsung TV
192.168.0.3 - HA new interface

So HA and Samsung can see each other directly in this new VLAN.

HA does NOT need/ should NOT have a gateway set in this interface, as it can use the normal/default/old interface to access the internet.

TV has LAN 192.168.4.12 gateway 192.168.4.1

But HA is in other LAN 192.168.10.x and gateway 192.168.10.1

Next inteface which create in HA should has 192.168.4.x and no gateway ?

yes, that’s it :slight_smile:

I try run ssh addon but i can not run it… i dont know how configure it… what user use and what password. I have Home Assistant instlled as image Generic_X86_x64 on my terminal HP. I login to HA as admin.

When open terminal i have this:
~ and cursor

What is the output of the command “whoami” ?

show “root”

and nmcli connection show?

But when run command nmcli connection show i get

zsh: command not found: cli

Ok i found bug. Before cli he cut me nm. Now type from hand and works.

Ok but if TV is in VLAN default on my Ubiquitui how i found number VLAN for it ?

I would create an additional VLAN in Ubiquity to separate Samsung TV from normal/default network VLAN and then add Samsung and HA new interface to that new VLAN.