Severe Weather Alerts from the US National Weather Service

Just the best! Do you have a channel or anything, I’d gladly contribute to your development skills!!!

Nope just giving back to the community I’ve been a part of for a long time now.

:slightly_smiling_face:

Well if you ever want to start a Youtube channel that focus’ on Home Automation, I’m your first subscriber!!!

1 Like

I made the changes to the package linked above. I haven’t tested the changes completely myself but they are just a pared down version of what is on my HA removing testing/extraneous stuff that isn’t needed.

If you find a problem feel free to let me know.

But you will still need to use the latest version of the variables custom integration for it to work right out of the box.

also be aware that the variable entity is actually used in many of the automations and it may cause issues if it doesn’t exist so you REALLY SHOULD install that custom integration to get the full functionality.

My integration itself will still fully function without it and you can still create your own logic around the sensor entity that my integration creates. It’s just the logic in the package will be a bit wonky otherwise.

I installed the custom integration, which was a little easier than I thought. This is a learning curve for me, so I think it’s interesting how to set a variable and now it’s becoming a little more clear.

Although I’ve installed the custom integration, and reading more about the examples on that git location for Wibias, do I need to configure the custom integration via the UI ? It looks like it’s handled via the custom package (do I have that right ???)

Did you ever get your google device to work with the announcements ? If so, do you have code you can post ?

Yes, that’s right. it’s done already in the package.

I’m not sure if that was directed at me or not but I’ve never had a google home device. :man_shrugging:

Disregard my google question ! It was really for WhyteDem0n, he pasted some code for Google tts and I was asking if he got that working. However, I went through his code as well as the fix first09 added along with NYC- Greg and figured it out, or at least I got the config to save and restarting the server appears to have done well, no error message in logs, cross my fingers it works.

Thanks - All this is just my ADHD working overtime!

1 Like

Regarding custom cards, I’ve never done that through all this effort and satisfied with just the integration showing new alerts. I think I’m ready to jump into this as my next stage of enlightenment for HA development.

Q: Is there a specific custom card (maybe I’m not saying that right) to be used with the pop-up ? I saw the info @finity wrote about a card ( [ciotlosm/custom-lovelace) and code, but that link stalls to 404. Am I in the right ballpark in my thinking on this ?

the “pop-up” really isn’t anything custom. it just creates a system persistent notification to show up as an alert on the side bar.

all of the stuff I use for display is in the lovelace package at this link

it uses two custom cards - custom layout-card and custom stack-in-card - both of which can be installed via HACS or manually if you prefer.

1 Like

Thank you. I did not realize there were so many options for custom cards. Thanks for replying - I’ve spent most of the day watching videos learning about the layout-card. I like learning this stuff by manually setting things up and I’m building a map’d diagram that show’s how it’s all put together, for my own sanity check.
I’ll have fun playing with all this.
Thank you

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to look at it and respond. I will have a look at the template idea.

Thanks!

I have trouble using packages, so I have broken the yaml into seperate files.

I would like to know using this method how to use the variable as shown below.
Where does it go.

variable:
  nws_alerts_event_ids:
    value: 'none'
    restore: true

Thank you.

I have installed the SPC Warnings as part of my weather alerts.

It shows the information in my Developer Tools/State.

How does this then send a notification to you.

Thank you.

To use that you need to download the “variables + history” custom integration. You can find it in HACS.

Then after that is downloaded and configured you would add the references as you would any other top level domain. If you want to split it out into another yaml file you just use a regular !include in your configuration.yaml:

variable: !include variables.yaml

then in the variablres.yaml you create you would enter this (no ‘variable:’ line):

nws_alerts_event_ids:
    value: 'none'
    restore: true

I don’t use it to send me notifications. I only use the NWS Akerts integration for that.

But you could use it if you wanted to by setting up the notification using the SPCC data just you would any other notification.

1 Like

I was messing around testing weather alerts today. I was going to developer tools and changing states and titles of the weather alerts and all of a sudden the api.weather.gov website is broken. I’m getting an nginx error and bad gateway. I wonder if that’s from changing states in the alerts? Just something weird I noticed.

Or I wonder if I was blocked from the web page for some reason.

The API service is known to be down from time to time for varying durations. It’s not a very robust service. It’s still down now. 502 - Bad Gateway

Thanks! Good to know it isn’t just me. Appreciate that. Might have to find a more reliable way to automate things with this.

I don’t find it to be that unreliable. It works the vast majority of the time at least in my experience. But then we don’t have lots of extreme weather here - tornado season is the worst but even then we aren’t as bad in northern indiana as it is in the plains. Everything else is just inconveniences.

But I only use this as a backup and augmentation of the tried and true weather radio.

Good to know! I’m pretty much using the severe weather alerts for my solar system+batteries to charge my batteries to full from the grid, just in case.