Share your experience with migration from OZW to ZWJS

It’s the same entities if both servers are up to date.

2 Likes

I made a script to semi-automatically rename ZWJS entities to match what they were in OZW: ZWaveJS Migration Script

Mine would have gone fine if I did not have a Zwave plus devices. I don’t think it fully supports garage door openers- it’s enough to work but left me with plenty of dummy entities and those gummed up my homekit so much I had to wipe it and start over. Same issue with zwave plus door locks.

Hopefully we won’t have to go through this again…

I’ve found that ZWave-JS is, at best, early alpha. I have ten devices. Of those, it’s only found 2…after six hours. I honestly don’t know how anyone is using this integration. I have one door lock, two motion sensors, two contact sensors, a power receptacle (found this one), a water leak sensor, and two light switches. (The 10th device is the stick.)

I don’t really depend on ZWave, as I’ve converted most of my home to Zigbee due to reliability issues.

I think your plan is spot on. After I’m bored with ZWave-JS, I will revert to OZW. As I noted in a later comment, ZWave-JS is really early alpha in quality and functionality.

Fwiw after I made my renaming script this weekend I migrated back to ZWaveJS and haven’t gone back to ozw yet. I now have everything important working in ZWaveJS including my finicky ZCOMBO smoke alarm. I’m a few days in and everything has been reliable and fast so far!

Update: of course just as I write this I have an issue. I just had a blip where it took ~15s for a ZWave light to turn off. Afterwards everything was perfectly responsive again :man_shrugging:

Tbh it sounds like you don’t have a good mesh. Those appear to be all battery devices. That won’t be stable in any env.

Most are, yes. The outlet is not battery, nor are the light switches (all are powered). I didn’t have any substantive issues with OZW…occasional device dropouts for one fringe device. When looking at the map when they were OZW, the network looked relatively robust; one device had no alternate path.

So, I don’t feel the mesh isn’t robust.

1 Like

Just installed ZWave-JS over HA 2021.5.5 containerized.

After a lot of renaming I finally have HA working again… With ONE NASTY exception!

All my Light Switches (switches converted to Lights using the switch platform) appears as “Unavailable” (greyed-out) although all related ZWave switches are perfectly operational.

It seems like that “Switch Platform” tried to generate the Lights when the Switches were not yet ready. However, I haven’t found a way to force re-scanning them.

Of course I can modify all my lovelace controls to use the underlying switches, but it would break many automations and the Google Assistant integration.

Any hint??

You should have a bunch of new entities for those light.switch ones, as long as you renamed everything. The unavailable ones are bound to the old OZW integration entities.

Yeaaahhh!!! You’re right!!

It didn’t take the previous light names, it created new ones!!

SOLVED!!

Thanks!!