Sharing this tip on a rain sensor with solar panel!

Just wanted to share this tip because I think it can be useful so therefor creating a new topic.

From the topic of a DIY rain gauge, I bumped on this interesting device: a rain sensor with solar panel that seems to do a good job.
Link to a review: https://smarthomescene.com/reviews/tuya-zigbee-solar-rain-sensor-rb-srain01-review/

Notice that it can distinguish the rain intensity which might give an idea about the quantity.

1 Like

Interesting device.
I bought one to test.

Yes, it definitely is!
It’s amazing that they put in 2 sensors, a solar panel, a rechargeable battery, a communication module, that bracket and screws for that kind of money and on top it seems to work well! :sparkler:

Would be nice to read your findings.

So, did you receive it already and have you seen this: Rain/Solar ZigBee Sensor not working as expected... loosing connection

Nope…
It’s still on a donkey on route to a raft and then it’s just a few months more.

I got it a few days ago, no rain yet but it seems to work fine.
I have the custom quirk for ZHA so I only get wet/dry and battery.
I will see if I csn get the intensity working in ZHA. But I doubt it’s useful.
Rain or more rain is still rain.
I just need to know if there is on not

I keep having issues with it becoming unavailable.
I don’t know if it is due to range but it shouldn’t be.
But I will try and place it indoors for a few days and see if it still disconnects.

The real issue is that the pairing button is on the bottom behind the mount.
So every time it disconnects I need to remove it from the mount, press the button and mount it again.
Since this is an outdoor sensor and I don’t live on the ground floor, it all becomes a bit problematic.

hello,

just received mine on monday and work great…until i put to far from the nearest router (led bulb).

I put it on a wall 4 meters from a window where there is a zigbee led bulb. Need to put just in front of the window, if not just in front of the window, signal is lost like your example above.

I think mine is about 2.5 m from the closest router. But through a wall.
Not really sure what to do then if the range is this poor.

have you paired it at the exact same place?

because i have paired it first in the middle of my house, and i had some trouble when moved it.

Then i deleted it from z2M and repair at the end place, outdoor.

my wall is 20cm of concrete and 4m away from the window it doesnt work…

perhaps there is a way to add an external antena?