Shelly Cloud - new Component? How to implement it? API is available

ok…

i understand (kind of…:slightly_smiling_face: ) about the need for a unique id to be included in the entity registry. I thought that was implemented through the integration of the component.

Based on these statements…

… what I was asking is where is it documented that “unique_id:” is a good configuration variable to use in the config of any mqtt device?

Mentioned here https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/mqtt/discovery/

I agree it isn’t immediately obvious and clear. It is a shame shelly doesn’t seem to provide mqtt discovery.

I’m writing a script that will automatically add Shelly switches to HA via discovery.

So the only time that option is beneficial is if you use discovery?

Certainly not.

Ok then the description in the documentation is horribly confusing and certainly lacking…

If you add a unique_id to the configuration, the entity will support entity_registers. Discovery is not necessary for this.
If you use discovery, unique_id and device definitions, the entity and device will support device_registry.
The documentation about the unique_id is actually unclear at present.

This is an example of a device with device_registry support (Sonoff Basic with Tasmota):

Another great product, but very light on compliance markings and my digging only revealed:
https://shelly.cloud/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/CE_Shelly1.pdf

So it hasn’t been certified by any official independant test labs for electrical compliance. So use at your own risk! eg catches fires you’re simply not covered.
Pretty sure Sonoff products fall into the same boat.

Not only seems to be self certified, but:

• only refers to RED 2014/53/EU which (as I understand it) only relates to the wifi conmponent [1].
  • specifically states that it only relates to the ESP8266 part of the device (reinforcing my understanding)

[1] this is what the RED is stated to relate to

The Radio Equipment Directive 2014/53/EU (RED) establishes a regulatory framework for placing radio equipment on the market. It ensures a Single Market for radio equipment by setting essential requirements for safety and health, electromagnetic compatibility, and the efficient use of the radio spectrum. It also provides the basis for further regulation governing some additional aspects. These include technical features for the protection of privacy, personal data and against fraud. Furthermore, additional aspects cover interoperability, access to emergency services, and compliance regarding the combination of radio equipment and software.

No question it’s a huge expense to get certified, but to make a statement like it is on FB is just wrong:

In saying all this, I use the sonoff and wouldn’t have a problem using these either in very controlled environment for my own use.
Would be really great is there was something off the shelf that was electrically compliant and certified.

1 Like

The CE brandis something the manufacturer put on and by doing it the state that the product is compliant. No tests is needed. So not really worth much anyway

Not totally true Yuran,

You can make any claim you want and stick a CE mark, just need to prove it:

Point is, just be extremely carefull on how you use ANY products when dealing with 230VAC and have questionable compliance.

Rob.

This says it all…

But that is tru for all products unfortunately

Has anyone managed to set up Shelly RGBW2 over MQTT?

Did you try using these settings?

yes but can not get it to work, that is why I am asking if anyone managed to get it working, to share the config.

Well start troubleshooting.

What is your MQTT broker seeing?

What exactly is your config?

I don’t own the device but I have been helping devise the correct MQTT Light configuration for someone else. It would be helpful if you were to participate in the testing process. The latest iteration of the configuration can be found in this post.

1 Like

Hi - is auto discovery for Shelly’s available? I have a batch of 2.5s coming soon :grin: