Shelly Dimmer with MQTT

This is mostly hearsay at this point. The most important example was a supposed version break that ended up being before the integration was released. An HA version requiring a minimum Shelly version is not an “issue”, nor is not supporting every feature.

You keep ignoring something I mentioned several messages ago - going over release notes, it seems that the MQTT integration needs to be hotfixed more often. Now, since this wasn’t a rigorous study, numbers can convince me otherwise, but so far it seems the Shelly integration is better maintained even if we ignore what you refer to as medals (which are actually really important, and cover things like how the integration handles error, for example).

Hearsay again.

The frequent hotfixes to the MQTT suggest otherwise.

Because support for shelly 1 and other gen1 devices has been dropped in 2024.1 unfortunately. Or at least I don’t see how you can update further than 1.10

I see why someone stops responding when defending a plugin that is inherently inconsistent.
I have multiple shellies 15+ and all of them since the introduction of HomeAssistant and the integration have issues going into unavailable state. Went through all the steps for the unicast nonsense, but all my gen 1 devices have “disconnect” \ “unavailable” issues. (devices is pingable and mqtt is working fine at those times)
I saw that most of the idea has been reused from the old github: GitHub - StyraHem/ShellyForHASS: Shelly smart home platform for Home Assistant
Even these great contributors worked towards an option for mqtt, why so much hate for a working protocol. Is it because of preference?

Just know that this is not working for anyone with gen 1 devices, or people or not noticing it. Was blaming HA like any other issue lately but this is just a crappy decision. Makes sense now why companies have sprints and scrum masters, and not dictators.

And defend away on your IoT protocol (wish altaro hadn’t included this from the start then this wouldn’t even be an issue). I’m going to uninstall this unreliable integration.
This might even cost me my marriage if I continue with this integration, the next time the lights in the bathroom either won’t go on or go full brightness in the middle of the night. Wife acceptance factor == 0

For those that are struggling with this issue aswell I found a few templates that might help for simple devices. see: Getting started with MQTT and Home Assistant (and Shelly) :: Sequr
Will cost a bit more effort of setting up but rather that than switches and dimmer not working reliably.
And to be fair I might even bypass HA completely in the future, saw that there is a mqtt integration for nodered. HA only needs fancy little buttons to play with if you go down a manual road. And besides automations in HA are a joke. No sorting or tags, just one bunch of automations in a list.

Enough ranting for today, hope this helps someone, and by the off chance devs get off their high horse and add mqtt as an option I might change my stance on the subject, but for now peace :peace_symbol:.