Show Home Assistant dashboard on Pi Touchscreen

How can I connect a Pi Touchscreen to display the Homeassistant dashboard? Regards Dave.

This is a question with no context.

In the simplest terms, you run a pi with a desktop (or have it boot directly into a browser).

I assume you mean on hassio? You can’t

If you want this you have to run Raspbian/Hassbian/some Pi Linux distro. If you want it on the same pi as Home Assistant you will have to pick one of those OSes and install Home Assistant in a supported manner.

I use a digital picture frame at home (no touchscreen) constructed around an RPi 3 - You can use a Python script to open the web browser at the URL of your HA dashboard. Details are available at https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/blue-iris-picture-frame-ui3-camera-viewing-station.26894/page-3#post-319333 and all credit and thanks to user dasstrum for the original project.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. If I use hassio as it seems more user-friendly. Is it possible to get a dashboard to show on a Rasperry Pi Touch Screen? If so How? and if not, does this mean I would need to use wifi enabled screen with the dashboard browser open?
Thanks for your assistance. Regards Dave

Only if you use a second pi. If you’re using hassio, no, you can’t enable any kind of desktop or browser on hassOS. If you install hassio on Raspbian, you can do this.

You need to understand the difference in installation methods first.

If you use the HassOS image (the preconfigured hassio for the pi), you can’t do anything else on the device except for what’s available as an add-on and there is no desktop.

If you manually install hassio on docker on Raspbian, you have a full desktop available to you, and can run a browser on a touchscreen attached to the pi.

Hi. I have worked out which Raspbian to use and also installed Docker.I have followed the instructions from

I am not sure what to do next, as it does not say anything on the instructions. Can you advise please? Regards Dave

As in what?

Hi. I have followed the instructions, but it does not show how to access HASSIO ? Do you know any good instruction links?
Once I can access it, I will then search for a link on how to display the dashboard on the touchscreen so I can access the smart home features.
Regards Dave

Have you thought about going through the basic documentation that home assistant has? You access hassio through the browser literally like any other method of installation.

Search for a link for how to pull it up in a browser??

Huh?

You literally just open the browser and access your home assistant

I admit to being surprised that there is no out of the box solution, or extension, for this. It would be nice, and I doubt I’m the only one wanting to use RPi + touchscreen.

I’ll install debian12. It sounds as if that is the way, albeit one strewn with difficulties.

But I would easily imagine the use cases for debian 12 disappearing if there were an extension that launched the dashboard in kiosk mode.

What would be needed to write such an extension? Just poking briefly it looks as if HA OS is a custom, stripped down linux build so it would probably be necessary to add X11/wayland and then a small browser that did nothing but open a URL to localhost. The browser part I know how to do, the Home Assistant parts I am not familiar with. I am familiar with creating other embedded Linux builds.

I don’t have a huge amount of time (small children take a lot of time) but if I’m going to be working on a solution I might as well make it easily reusable, if that can be done with a reasonable amount of effort. I would need pointers.