Shutdown windows remotely

I did get mine to work! I had to perform one more restart on the RPC service in Hassio.

I ran into this problem too but I got mine to work some way. I think the problem had something to do with windows fastboot and I also adjusted some bios settings to keep my lan port powered on.

Thanks, I finally got this working. I had to update to the latest BIOS for my motherboard as well as the 2017 driver for my Realtek NIC on the motherboard. This includes a number of new green ethernet options in the driver. Now it all works with Windows fast boot.

Here are my settings

**BIOS  :** 
Enable Power on by PCI and PCie

**Lan Controller Driver :**
Power Management tab  all checked:” Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”, “Allow this device to 
wake the computer”,” Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer”
Advanced Tab: all enabled : “Energy Efficient Ethernet “,”Green Ethernet”, “shutdown wake on lan”, “wake on Magic 
Packet”, “wake on pattern match”, WOL&Shutdown Link Speed :10Mps First

**Windows Power and sleep settings**
Balanced : 
Power Button settings , “when I press the power button : Shutdown”
Shutdown settings: all checked :”Turn on fast-start-up”, “sleep”, “hibernate”, “lock”
1 Like

Is this only possible with a local account? I tried using my Microsoft account credentials but it always says bad name/pass. I set up a local account and it works just fine.

Is there a way to add a 2nd pc to RPC Shutdown? Editing anything not in quotes prevents me from saving and I can’t figure out how to add control for more then 1 pc.

here you are:
{
“computers”: [
{
“alias”: “Tablet”,
“address”: “192.168.0.104”,
“credentials”: “username%password”
},
{
“alias”: “Desktop”,
“address”: “192.168.0.109”,
“credentials”: “username%password”
}
]
}

Perfect, thank you :slight_smile: was critically missing the , and works now.

I followed the instructions here, but still canot get it to work.

RPC addon on HASSIO tells me the following:
NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT

any idea why that happens? could it be because of wrong credentials?

the add on says to provide username and password, but which username?
my microsoft account that my win10 is linked to (basically my hotmail email address) or the First and Last Name which is shown in the win10 login screen right above my password field?

Hi, i’ve found that my login name was just my first name. Your home folder should have the same name as your system account (C:\users).

well, my microsoft account first name and my microsoft email username differs completely from the c:\users folder name. and any combination did not resolve anything

frustrating…

aaaand, I got it working. solution:

1. username is indeed the name of the folder within your c:\users folder
  2. Win10 Firewall needs to allow Remote Assistance and Remote Service Management
1 Like

I can get this to work if I add a password for my user account on the windows computer, however, I do not want that.

I have tried

“credentials”: “user%

but this only gives “wrong user or password”

I have also tried:

“credentials”: “user

But the log then shows the prompt to enter the password for user

Does anyone know the syntax for no password ?

1 Like

I also am having issues with the user password incorrect error in log and also do not have a password.

I have the following wake on LAN configuration. It is only working if I comment out the #host parameter. If the #host is in the config, it does not wake up my computer. If not there it wakes up, but I do not see the status nor can I turn off the computer since the switch is always off (turn off part is not yet configured, planning to do it in a few days). Does anyone else have the same problem? Any idea what should I try? Thanks in advance!

Not working:

• platform: wake_on_lan
    mac_address: !secret tankmac
    name: Tank
    broadcast_address: !secret tankip
    host: !secret tankip

Working but no status, switch always OFF:

• platform: wake_on_lan
    mac_address: !secret tankmac
    name: Tank
    broadcast_address: !secret tankip
    #host: !secret tankip

wow, I’ve been wrestling with this for about 5 hours, gone through all the above but nothing helped,

So by chance I thought I’d try the below, seems very simple, as the above examples didn’t seem to cover shutdown, only wake up, so to get mine working I added a turn off to the switch example, now all works :slight_smile:

- platform: wake_on_lan    
        mac_address: "AA-AA-AA-AA-AA-AA"
        name: "Laptop"
        host: 192.168.1.x
        turn_on:
          service: hassio.addon_stdin
          data:
            addon: core_rpc_shutdown
            input: laptop
        turn_off:
          service: hassio.addon_stdin
          data:
            addon: core_rpc_shutdown
            input: laptop

Hi, did you manage to do it without password? I’m at the same point as this post.

Hi,
I just set up a separate user on the pc with a password. I do not use that account for anything else and I had honestly forgotten about it until now :slight_smile: So it works flawlessly;)

Thank you, working!!

Just for all that still have problems. You will be able to wake your computer or server in shutdown mode if you follow the instruktions step by step. Most likely your problem is that you have old network drivers or the wrong once that dont have the settings needed. Or your having a firewall problem. or you have not set the register settings. But in most cases id say its your network card / drivers that dont support wol.

I’m having quite some problem to get this to work, I have installed the latest driver for my onboard ethernet port (intel 82579V) and followed the guides to enable WoL. I can in my hassio overview see when the PC is on or off but I cant turn it on or off, if I press it to turn on the slide go to on for 1 sec then back to off again. Have i missed anything?

Facing some difficulties with shutting down.
I keep getting the following error

[Info] Read alias: rolfcomputer
[Info] Shutdown rolfcomputer 192.168.1.27
Shutdown of remote machine failed
result was: WERR_CALL_NOT_IMPLEMENTED
[Error] Shutdown fails

Steps i took:

• Registry key is created
  • Services are running
  • Firewall rules are correct (even with Firewall off it doesn’t work)
  • Correct credentials and IP are configured in the addon. (username is taken from the c:/users folder) Password has a special char in it, don’t know if that makes a difference?)
  • Restarted Windows machine and addon several times.

Running version 3.2.2 of the addon and Windows 10 on the computer.