Silly button for a "ba dum tish" sound effect

I recently built two little rotator/button gizmos for my wife and I when we watch TV. They control volume on the amp (Denon) and pause the TV using the media play services.
Works great. Here’s one of them.

So, since I’m a dad and make lots of bad jokes, I was thinking one of the buttons could generate a ba-dum-tish sound when needed. But I’m not sure the best way to get a fast response. Can my echo play it? Spotify? I’m wondering if this lovely and clever group has some ideas for the ultimate spousal annoyance.

2 Likes

media_player.play_media to a file on your system.

Saw this pop up and thought of your project.

I recall trying things like this in HA and playback was a little laggy (even with local files). Dunno if there a tricks to have things buffered and good to go …

1 Like

thanks, I kinda gave up and just have to be annoying the old fashion way :slight_smile: I will report back if I make this a reality.

1 Like

The idea is cool but seriously lacks in the embarrassing dad category. I think the idea is worth exploring for other purposes and if your kids grow up as fast as mine, dont ever give up those fun moments and memories to Alexa! If anything you can give the robot speaker the not so fun announcements instead? Maybe cycle through a premade list of apologies you can summon when you need one for your wife/partner/whatever. 1 click of the button calls a standard apology while 3 clicks calls the big guns for when you really screw up!

2 Likes

Well, as luck would have it, I’m currently trying to replace all my Echoes with HA voice assist gizmos I’m making. (preview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-ov407q5So). Since these are local, it might be able to get the fast response needed. My motivation for replacing the Echoes is because Amazon killed their list API and I can’t use it with TodoIst anymore. Works great with HA though!

1 Like

My youngest is 22. Way too fast. But I have to say I so much enjoy their company now that they are adults (with my silly humor).