Simple one-off task scheduling (e.g. "Turn on heating in 8 hours")

Hey,

I would like to be able to set up a simple task represented by a service some time in the future. I would like to be able to see all these tasks and possibly delete them.

Basically, it would be great if I could set a time in Developer tools -> Services when the command should be run.

Usecase is e.g. I know I am going to arrive home after few days off at 4pm, therefore I want to turn on heating at ~3.30pm, but I want to do this action at ~1pm before I sit in the car and drive.

I know it’s theoretically possible via automation, but that really sounds like a lot of hassle for something like this (it would also create additional automation there).

Is there any addon or something like that? (I don’t mean a full periodic scheduler, I already use that for predictable situations)

Check out this third party integration and scheduler card:

Or there is also an add-on for HA OS, it’s a bit simpler:

Thanks, I use scheduler card already, but both of these are really like “periodic schedulers” or something, which is really cumbersome for a simple one-off task.

The amount of data you put in to this service is about the same as you would have to add to an automation.
You will need to add a time (and possibly date) and what service, what command and entity.

Because of that it’s probably easier to just have an automation where you can hardcode time/date and actions.

I understand that is not ideal, but also think of how rare this use case is for many.
I support the idea, kind of, but I honestly believe that even if this was implemented I would forget about it when I actually need it, and still resort to the automation.

3 Likes

Fair enough :slight_smile:

What about making a button enable an automation and then have the last step of the automation disable the automation so it just happens once?

That doesn’t sound very customizable, does it (I cannot easily change the service call)? Anyway, it’s surely possible, but it does sound terribly hackish :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: .

I’m constantly missing something like this!