Simple Scheduler Addon

That seems really sad.

With the new updates this add-on is now killer and any official integraton / add-on should have these same abilities

2 Likes

The scheduler uses a scene as a container for other entities.

• The scene defines what must be turned on/off, temperature/volume increased/decreased, etc.
  • The scheduler activates the scene at the appointed time.

Itā€™s a clear separation of responsibilities plus the scene remains accessible (for activation) by other automations (for activation outside of its regular schedule).

2 Likes

I tend to use scripts anyway, but I thought there was a general move away from scenes towards scripts regardless.
What about people who use scripts, Iā€™d be sad about that. :sob:

I hope you mean that the engine uses scenes internally to achieve the result rather than requiring us to only control scene entities. Otherwise we would need to create a scene to turn on a lightā€¦ I can see the benefit of a scene for complex things (ie: lots of lights, switches etc all being controlled at once) but for something simple we would want direct control of the entity, not via a scene

1 Like

I saw something like ā€œletā€™s make scenes first-class citizensā€ from balloob in one of the PRs not long ago.
My bigger worry is the move from trigger automations to device automations but I havenā€™t looked into it yet.

1 Like

What about vacuum scheduler? Is it possible to add it?

How do you turn it on now?

I fully agree, (though this is major off topic) the device idā€™s are (at least to me) non recognisable loooonnnng random numbers (though certainly unique and specific idā€™s as far as HA is concerned.
It is just a move by the devs to democratise HA via Device Automation, and Iā€™ve got a long way to go before I get my head round that. As baloob says the old trigger methods will be maintained for the future, so weā€™ll have time.

1 Like

@ArthurDent1975, love the name, you must be a Douglas Adams fan

Given you were concerned about the reception of your new addon it has gained rapid popular support from MANY worthies on this forum.
Not only that, but in the 2 days since its release you have expanded it to widen its use and appeal.

I commend your efforts but I do feel you havenā€™t had much sleep in those 2 days.
Remember, happy wife, happy life.
Please pace yourself so she doesnā€™t get pissed off with you and so we get the benefits of your skilled labourā€™s for years to come (Iā€™m just being selfish here ! :rofl: )

Brilliant first outing :beers:

4 Likes

What love to use this but donā€™t use hass-io. How can this be used by the rest of us? Could this be added to hacs?

Brilliant work!

Xiaomi vacuum card.
I could do a switch that started the automation, but would be cool if it was integrated by default.

Can you share your config? Right now Iā€™m using the following for the heater:

climate:
  - platform: generic_thermostat
    name: Study
    heater: switch.blitzwolf
    target_sensor: sensor.0x00158d0001ab170f_temperature
    min_temp: 5
    max_temp: 25
    ac_mode: false
    target_temp: 17.5
    cold_tolerance: 0.3
    hot_tolerance: 0.3
    min_cycle_duration:
      seconds: 60
    keep_alive:
      minutes: 0
    initial_hvac_mode: "off"
    away_temp: 16
    precision: 0.1

However I need to keep some automations to enable and disable the heater at x hours.

Rather than wonder what I mean, I encourage you to read the topic in the Architecture repo (linked above). To help people navigate the long discussion, Iā€™ve created this list of highlights:

In a nutshell, it was decided that scenes were the best choice to represent a ā€˜unit of workā€™ for the scheduling engine. In fact, the decision (made in early summer 2019) required improvements to scene management, notably the addition of a service to create scenes.

Itā€™s my understanding that all of the work done so far is on the actual scheduling engine and not the UI to interact with it. The engine schedules scenes, not individual entities. If I had to guess, Iā€™d say the UI will let you select one or more entities and theyā€™ll be transparently assigned to a dynamically created scene (behaving as the ā€œcontainerā€ I mentioned earlier). However, thatā€™s just my guess; how the UI ultimately handles it is a design conversation yet to take place.

3 Likes

Yes, youā€™re right. Iā€™m a Douglas Adams fan.
Thank you so much for all the good things you wrote.
Those are the best rewards for all the job done.
I think I reach a good level of satisfaction for most of the users (and me).
So, after the next release, I will slow down on thisā€¦ but only because I have to complete another custom idea on HA that I canā€™t find anywhere, and I really need that.

Oh, I almost forgotā€¦

version 0.13 released

• Added Sunset / Sunrise as time alternative
  • Added date and time in scheduler log
  • General optimization

Ciao!

6 Likes

grat news ā€¦ waiting your upcoming releasesā€¦ shure you will make a really fanstatic appā€¦ maybe with other people who will help you. Great stuff !!!

Hi, hw to do that? Is possible to add an offset?

Just write ā€œsunsetā€ or ā€œsunriseā€ instead of time.
Adding offset is not so easy. Maybe in the future.
I donā€™t need this feature. I just add this because of the many requests :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I donā€™t know about programming. If its difficult you perhaps is easy to add other times near sunrise sunset (dawn dusk)

Probem is at sunset its already too dark, it is needed a moffset, probably dawn is ok

one of the best addon, simple, fast, very useful. Thanks again!!

1 Like

First time schedulling and got this error:

**Warning** : file_put_contents(/share/simplescheduler/sun.dat): failed to open stream: Permission denied in **/var/www/html/lib.php** on line **221**