SimpliSafe very unreliable as of late

Currently fully unreliable. I just reauthorized it via password… still see wrong state, doesn’t update on state changes (home/away/disarmed). doesn’t change states either,

Simpisafe screw things up good…

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Overall, I’m hearing of better experiences in general (mine included); unfortunately, this is still occurring, whether regularly or intermittently.

In my case, I had to re-authenticate twice yesterday. Both times, the request to re-login (the same request that is used when Home Assistant starts) itself failed. My logs showed several dozen other, similar moments where the request succeeded, so it isn’t something wrong in my code. Best I can tell, their service is just continuing to be flaky.

I’m reaching the limit of what I feel comfortable supporting. I could start making even wilder adjustments – maybe I allow up to three failed re-authentication requests? – but all of these special cases are becoming burdensome for me to maintain. I think our energy would be better spent allowing their infrastructure to be flaky and finding ways to put pressure on them to fix it (or, ideally, to support an official mechanism).

1 Like

Sorry if I’m late to the party here.

Is there a new api that we need to reverse engineer? Or have we tried that and can’t stay connected?

There is no “new API” per se – we’re using the same one that’s always been used.

I see, thanks for the clarification. I wasn’t sure how the following link impacted the integration:

I’d be willing to help, just looking for a little direction on the underlying problem. Also, have we talked to anyone at SimpliSafe?

We’ve attempted multiple reach-outs to SimpliSafe, but unfortunately, no substantive response.

One thing I noticed… I had a reauthentication needed but did not get around to it. Yet Node-Red still issued the timer based command to set it to Home. It worked without error. So im not sure if the reauthentication is more than just a transient problem that doesn’t mean much. It mostly seems to affect my use of the entry sensors. I use them to determine if windows are open or closed. to either dictate the lowest point for blinds or turn off/on the HVAC system.

I heard back from SimpliSafe on Twitter:

Hi Aaron, thanks for your patience on this. We just heard back from our product team and have a brief update to share. First, we want you to understand that as a home security company, we take product integrations extremely seriously, and even the smallest change must be scrutinized. As such we’re not able to give Home Assistant the attention that it would require right now. We have a jam-packed roadmap, and while we’re not able to go into detail, there’s a lot coming down the pipe that we’re extremely excited about. We hope you’ll be excited as well, and that you’ll understand why we’re not able to provide more resources to Home Assistant at this time. If anything changes, we’ll let you know.

Not very encouraging.

ahh, a kiss off letter.

As for now… that sucks.

Reconfig has struck and it all went a little wild. Oddly I got a alert of signal interference just before the integration tanked.

Can’t Arm/Disarm or see entry sensor status. So my automation sing those kept thinking the windows were closed and turned on HVAC even if 5 were open.

I would just like to reiterate my previous comments. We switch to the ring alarm system and could not be happier with the way it integrates into home assistant. You can find deals all the time for the base unit, door and window sensors, motions sensors, etc. As a bonus, the base unit works as a great z-wave hub. All of my automations that involve door or window sensors now work flawlessly and every bit of the ring system updates instantly. Leave simplisafe behind and you won’t regret it

I’m glad it works for you, but that’s based on an unofficial API, too – no guarantee Ring won’t do the same thing down the road and brick things, right?

More bad news: Discussion: API auth endpoints maybe sunset on December 1 2021 · Issue #251 · bachya/simplisafe-python · GitHub

FYI, the code I’ve added to 2021.9.0 seems to work very well – I have yet to have a re-authentication (same with everyone I’ve been having test). If you feel comfortable doing it, recommend you upgrade to the beta.

I’ll give it a test for sure. As a secondary question, is there a reason we can’t just add the password in the config and have the integration reconnect itself?

That’s partially what the latest release does (among some other logic).

Hey @bachya do you know if 2021.10.x is having issues with your integration again? I had been using 2021.9.x for a while now without issues and just updated to 2021.10.x. I still haven’t had to reauthenticate in a long time but looking at the logs the simplisafe entities are all going unavailable and coming back online very frequently, like as often as every 10 minutes. Sometimes it’s longer sometimes less.

Nothing has changed between those versions, per se, but your comment led me to discover a bug within the library that powers the integration: when SimpliSafe’s API fails to return data about whether a system is offline, the library defaults to “yes, it’s offline.” That would explain what you’re seeing – it also isn’t correct. I’ll see about patching it.

3 Likes

Awesome. Thanks and keep up the great work!

1 Like

FYI: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/57573

I’m assuming there will be a 2021.10.5, in which case this will be merged into it.