Simplistic configuration UI

Yes, but they will come back, along with some other buttons in the toolbar. Folding is however also possible using keyboard shortcuts. On Windows it is ALT+0 to fold and ALT+SHIFT+0 to unfold.

2 Likes

thanks, on mac it’s cmd+alt+0

If you go to the editor settings option, there’s a link for all the ace keyboard shortcuts. I keep finding new things to like about this. :wink:

2 Likes

Version 0.1.1 has just been released. UI improvements with buttons for some helpful functions. Our sexiest release yet, even with a preloading animation just like HASS has it! :smiley:

We would love to get some feedback about the floating button to access undo/redo etc… We like it, but somehow we also think such tools should be on top in the toolbar. We’ve decided to go the route with the button for now, but if you think another solution might be more intuitive, please let us know.

Next up on the agenda (at least for me):

• Close opened files
  • Delete files
  • Create new files
4 Likes

This is an amazing project. I would love to see this as a part of HA. If it could incorporate directly into HA, maybe it could just be a component or platform and the need for authentication could be handled by HA as well as the SSL. Any chance SSL might be an upcoming feature?

I’m going to have to try it this weekend. It looks amazing and sooo useful.

1 Like

Thanks. :slight_smile:

SSL support is already implemented.
And it can be embedded into HASS using the panel_iframe component. This way it already looks like it is a part of HASS.
You are correct, that having this directly baked into HASS would be nice. However, having this as a separate service also has it’s benefits. The one I personally really like is, that this webapp keeps working, even if you have messed up your configuration and HASS refuses to start. This currently is a weak point in the architecture of HASS, which sooner or later probably will be taken care of. But until then I personally feel more safe being able to modify my configuration even when HASS is not running.

2 Likes

WOW! I thought I had been keeping up on this and I look back in the thread, it was soo long ago you addressed my concerns. Foolish me for not verifying before posting. Very true about it being accessible when HA isn’t. That is absolutely a benefit. Well, seems my post did nothing more than keep this thread on top of the latest list in the forum so I guess thats a plus :blush::yum:

1 Like

@danielperna84 can I use it with docker installation?

I haven’t tested it, but I don’t see any reason why it shouldn’t work.

This looks awesome; I’ll definitely be trying it over the weekend. Be really handy to be able to make changes when I think of them rather than having to store them up for when I have time to sit down on my laptop at home, which usually results in forgetting what I wanted to do!

I was wondering, did you consider versioning at any point in time? Quite often, when introducing some new functionality, I end up doing changes in different sections (sensors, customizations, scripts, platforms, etc…) Sometimes it works great, but on several occasions, I keep on struggling with getting things right or to find what exactly is broken. And then I look at my clock, it is 3am and I told my other half I was coming to bed immediately after quickly checking something… 4 hours ago (How many of you reading this are smiling now?)

What I miss at that point is to be able to go back X versions (a version being defined here as a reboot of the HASS, maybe session is a better word) and simply restore the content of the files at that moment.

Then at least I can go to bed (very very very silently) with aworking earlier version.

It would require to store each yaml file, also the ones that were not updated since the last reboot as it may be that one or more of them get updated in a later iteration and would thus still have to be restored when I want to go back. The size of the yaml files is not so big and be defining a max disk capacity to be used for this and deleting versions based on the FIFO principle, I could back in time.

And then the next day, when I want to continue, I load one of the latest versions and I continue my research (but not for too long, because I promised that tonight I would really go to bed early)

2 Likes

I do see the value of versioning the configuration files. But I’m unsure this should be forced upon the users by directly integrating this feature.
The way I do it currently: my HASS-directory is a git repository (simple a git init while in there via shell). I have a master branch with the currently stable configuration, and whenever I want to try out somethign new, I create a new branch, do the changes, and depending on success either merge or delete the feature-branch.

I already thought of adding buttons for creating new branches. But in a whole, making the configurator a usable git-frontend would be tough task.
A quick and dirty solution that came to my mind already was something like pre- and post-save scripts users could configure which would be executed whenever a file gets saved. Those then could handle versioning in a way the users would need it. Some people may copy everything onto their dropbox, others could do git-commits. So this would provide the greatest flexibility, although it would be targeted at advanced users that know how to do scripting.

Anyway, feel free to open an issue at the repo so this can be further discussed. :slight_smile:

Is there a process for getting something like this formally included in Home Assistant?
This would seem to be the perfect example of something that would remain useful no matter which direction HA is ultimately developed.

1 Like

I think this would qualify more as an add on, like AppDaemon or HADashboard, which is really the proper place for it.

Once @danielperna84 and @jmart518 are satisfied that their work is in a stable enough state and their docs are good, we can get this included in the ecosystem page. They’d have to do a doc write up similar to how the other apps are done there but I’m sure it could be included.

@balloob is working on adding integrated config panels into the UI.

1 Like

Is there a PR on this we can follow?

I’m curious what ballob is working on as well.

However, here’s the newest release if our work: 0.1.2

Most important feature: add and delete files / folders. And it’s detecting some file extensions now and automatically switches the editor mode. Hope you like it. :slight_smile:

Edit:
@rpitera
I think what he is referring to is this: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant-polymer/pull/204

4 Likes

We haven’t posted a mobile view shot in a while:

4 Likes

Oh, that’s nice too.

Damn! I just updated this morning, too! LOL

Guys

This is an amazing add-on that will probably stop the comparison with openHab that we can read in other thread.

Only being here since last fall and i can’t believe how much this community are progressing this product

HA rocks , but it’s community even more !!

Keep up the amazing work and add-ons :slight_smile:

5 Likes