Sinope Themostats - Wifi vs Zigbee for Future Proofing and HA Integration

I’m new to the forum and even newer to HA – in fact I haven’t even installed it yet.

But I am currently outfitting my new (to me) house with lots of smart devices and since I will definitely be a HA user once I get my house in order. In the meanwhile I’m trying to make sure any device I buy can be integrated into HA someday.

Thermostats were a challenge. I have baseboard heaters so I need line voltage themostats which really limits the options a lot. I evaluated Mysa and Sinope themostats and ended up buying a few Wifi-based units. Like them a lot, however I’m worried about HA integration potential and, even more so, wondering if I’d be left in the cold if Sinope goes away down the road (or if they decide to change/monetize their cloud service “Neviweb”).

My current dilemma is whether to continue to buy Wifi units or if Zigbee themostats would provide more future-proof options.

I have a bunch of Z-Wave stuff (from years ago) where I used a Micasaverde Vera so I’m familiar with how that setup works.

Can anyone help me out with the merits of going Zigbee over their Wifi units, especially in the scenario where Neviweb goes away?

For starters, I can’t wrap my head around how the themostats would get an IP without Neviweb app. Currently the app discovers the newly powered-up device and I enter the SSID/password in the app. Without Neviweb, I’d have no way to come back from a factory reset.

With Zigbee themostats and the Sinope gateway I’d perhaps be in the same boat. The Sinope gateway has no RJ45, so I assume it gets its IP via pairing through the Neviweb app. But would it be a reasonable assumption that, down the road if Neviweb goes away, I could buy an alternate Zigbee gateway and pair to the Sinope themostats and then bring into HA?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide. I’ve tried researching my concerns but between my ignorance of Zigbee and Home Assistant I’m not able to get the kind of confirmation I need to spend $1500. I’ve had chats with Sinope who have really responsive customer service, but I didn’t get the warm fuzzys I wanted. In particular he said (and I don’t understand why) that HomeKit would be my only option to get my WiFi units talking without Neviweb; I told him I’d rather live in a tent with no home automation than bring Apple stuff into my house.

Much appreciated!

Hi @maj34

I have Wifi and Zigbee Sinope Thermostat. With the Wifi one, you must go with Neviweb, because right now, it’s look like that it’s impossible to poll our push information locally. For the Zigbee one, you can paired them with a Zigbee controller like Conbee II, so you don’t need the GT130 gateway and Neviweb, all can be done locally with the ZHA or Z2Mqtt integration.

So go with Zigbee if you want to have full control of them. Here a topic here for the Sinope you will find a lot of information : Sinope Line Voltage Thermostats and the Neviweb HACS integration : GitHub - claudegel/sinope-130: Neviweb130 custom component for Home Assistant to manage devices connected via a GT130 and wifi devices from Sinopé

1 Like