Slack notification not working - issue with service renaming

Hi all,

I upgraded to the latest version (Supervisor 2022.08.3 and Operating System 8.4) of home assistant and noticed that my Slack integration for notifications is no longer working.
Until now, I had the integration set up via the UI / yaml with the name: default_notify
this makes it easy for me to switch to a different notification method without having to adjust all the automations because they have slack in their name.

With the recent upgrade notifications don’t work anymore. I deleted and readded the slack integration and was able to narrow down the error.

The slack integration is now being set up as notify.[slack_workspace_name] via the UI
I renamed this via the UI to default_notify and now - in theory - I should be able to call my slack notification integration via notify.default_notify as I did before.

When looking at the developer tools, the service stays the same (notify.[slack_workspace_name]) even after several restarts and does not change back to notify.default_notify.

How can I solve this without having to adjust every single automation?

Thanks!!

latest version of home assistant

Can you note your HomeAssistant version and Slack integration version? Saying ‘latest’ version of Home Assistant is ambiguous. And makes it more difficult for others to help and for other to make use of this knowledge in the future.

It’s not a direct fix but you could try using the notify.notify service. From the docs:

notify.notify is shorthand for the first notify service the system can find and might therefore not be working as intended.

Or alternatively use Visual Studio Code to do a Find & Replace on all your automation that have the old notify.slack.

Can you note your HomeAssistant version and Slack integration version?

Fixed it in the original post. Thanks for the hint! Supervisor 2022.08.3 and Operating System 8.4

It’s not a direct fix but you could try using the notify.notify service.

It it using the iOS home assistant app push notification which unfortunately doesn’t help me with the problem.

Or alternatively use Visual Studio Code to do a Find & Replace on all your automation that have the old notify.slack .

Can do this, but I want to understand what I’m doing wrong or if there’s a bug related to renaming the services :slight_smile:

To update, the unable to find notify.slack error has appeared in my setup again. It usually happens every few restarts.

I check the Developer Tools > Services to see if the notify.slack service had renamed like you have seen @rcma. I’m not seeing the notify.slack service at all. So it looks like we have two different issues?

Seems like two different issues.
My services works fine with notify.[slackworkspacename]
As no one else seems to have this issue, I will change my automations, because my current setup relies heavily on notifications.

Solved this the easy way with notification groups.

notify:
  - platform: group
    name: "default_notify"
    services:
      - service: [slackworkspacename]

Great solution. Mark the topic as solved if the option is available.