Slow or NonExistant Zwave Performance

I recently updated my ZWave USB stick to the ZST10-700 and am having a lot of ZWave performance issues. From very slow response times to non-responsive at all.

• Pi4
  • Core - 2021.9.7
  • Supervisor 2021.09.0
  • ZWaveJS2MQTT Add-On 0.25.0
  • zwavejs2mqtt: 5.6.0

• zwave-js: 8.3.1

• MQTT Disabled
  • Network keys configured
  • ZWaveJS Add-On not installed

Total of 25 nodes including the usb controller. I have everything paired successfully. There are a mix of Zooz and GE/Jasco light switches and Schlage BE469 locks. All 500 or 700 series except the locks.

Unfortunately performance is abysmal. It can take 2-3 seconds on a good day, and 45 seconds if at all on a bad day to turn off a light. If I restart ZWaveJS2MQTT the performance is great for a little bit, but then degrades within a day.

If I try to heal the entire network, it consistently fails on most nodes. I tried healing each node separately, got through most until two started failing immediately after pressing heal.

I can’t trust the status of things anymore. Which is especially annoying with the locks.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

1. Zooz 700 Series-based Controller ZST10-700
  2. Zooz Dimmer & Dry Contact Relay ZEN30
  3. GE/Jasco In-Wall Dimmer Switch 14294 / ZW3005
  4. GE/Jasco In-Wall Toggle Switch 14292
  5. Zooz Dimmer & Dry Contact Relay ZEN30
  6. Zooz Z-Wave Plus S2 Dimmer Light Switch ZEN27
  7. Zooz Z-Wave Plus S2 Dimmer Light Switch ZEN27
  8. Zooz Z-Wave Plus 700 Dimmer Switch ZEN72
  9. Zooz Z-Wave Plus 700 Dimmer Switch ZEN72
  10. Zooz Z-Wave Plus 700 S2 Dimmer Switch ZEN77
  11. Zooz Multirelay ZEN16
  12. Ecolink Z-wave Plus Tilt Sensor TILT-ZWAVE2.5-ECO
  13. Ecolink Z-wave Plus Tilt Sensor TILT-ZWAVE2.5-ECO
  14. Ecolink Z-wave Plus Tilt Sensor TILT-ZWAVE2.5-ECO
  15. Zooz Z-Wave Plus 700 Dimmer Switch ZEN72
  16. Zooz Z-Wave Plus 700 Dimmer Switch ZEN72
  17. Zooz Z-Wave Plus 700 Dimmer Switch ZEN72
  18. Zooz Z-Wave Plus On/Off Toggle Dimmer v3 ZEN24
  19. Zooz Z-Wave Plus S2 Dimmer Light Switch ZEN27
  20. Allegion Touchscreen Deadbolt BE469
  21. Allegion Touchscreen Deadbolt BE469
  22. Allegion Touchscreen Deadbolt BE469
  23. Honeywell Plug-In Smart Switch 39342 / ZW4106
  24. GE/Jasco In-Wall Smart Outlet 14288 / ZW1002

How do I determine the current firmware versions for the Zooz stuff? I goT the latest firmwares from Zooz, but don’t know if they’re needed or not.

Are you using an SSD on USB3? It might cause heavy interference. Healing a Zwave+ network shouldn’t really be necessary and might cause more issues than it solves. What’s the distance to the closest mains powered device and does that perform fine?

HA is installed on a micro sd. The ZWave Controller is plugged into the USB3 port with a conbee zigbee stick plugged in next to it in the USB2 port. There are several mains powered devices within 10-15 ft, but none in the same room. They all go through either an insulated wall or a door with full height window.

By the end of the day, it’s often that no device is responsive at all :frowning:

Looking at the network graph, I thought battery powered things weren’t supposed to act as relays? I get the door locks maybe, but the tilt sensor’s definitely shouldn’t.

They don’t
The network map is misleading

Try connecting via a USB extension rather than directly into the port.

Was everything fine before you upgraded? Maybe there’s an issue with the new device?

There was another thread with slow downs (linked below). For them it looked like several bad devices were flooding their network with commands. Zwave has good range and less interference being on a different frequency then wifi, but it has very low bandwidth and too much traffic can bring the whole thing down easily.

You probably want to take a look at your zwave logs. There’s two sets of them. Here’s how to enable them https://zwave-js.github.io/zwavejs2mqtt/#/troubleshooting/generating-logs . Look for errors and any nodes sending reports too frequently. You could have a device where you need to change the frequency of reports, like power management.

Some other ideas to try on this thread.

Go to the Node in the zwavejs2mqtt control panel, expand it, then expand version

That’s what the people at the smartest house suggested as well. I’ll have to see what I have laying around. Why would that be an issue?

Thanks for that info. Things definitely worked a lot better before the change to the 700 stick. I haven’t had enough time to re-do the entire network back on the old ZST10 stick to see if that works better

From what I understand, the USB3.0 ports throw a bunch of RF noise and that will over power the signal from the USB dongle.

Hey @Cypher how did things work out for you? I am looking to replace my current “Sigma Designs” USB with a Zooz 700 series ZST10 USB. I don’t want to make the switch if people are having issues

Thanks

@Cypher ’m from the zwavejs project. Could you send me a network dump from the integration? I’m trying to help them figure out a ZEN77 that’s spamming the network. Heck, it might even be yours. But I need to check on something that’s odd.