name: "Spare Plug"
    icon: mdi:power-socket-us
    state_topic: "smartthings/Spare plug/switch"
    command_topic: "smartthings/Spare plug/switch"
    payload_on: "on"
    payload_off: "off"
    retain: true

@wmaker
Thanks for checking it. So I am wandering if the Home Assistant <–> MQTT isnt working.
I am assuming the messages I see from mosquitto_sub -v -t ‘smartthings/#’ prove that STT Hub is communicating to MQTT running on my Pi?
But when I mosquitto_sub -v -t ‘homeassistant/#’_ and action the switch via HA Overview I dont see any messages in mosquitto.

Has anyone any suggestions how I can test -

1. MQTT <–> Home Assistant connection
  2. MQTT–>STT Hub

May try

mosquitto_sub -v -t ‘#’

which will allow you to see all topics being published (in case HA published something unexpected)

In your configuration.yaml file, double check your for mqtt settings, and include a client_id:

mqtt:
   broker: localhost
   protocol: 3.1
   client_id: some_name

Look at the latest timeline of your mosquitto log and see if there is something like:

545958535: New client connected from 127.0.0.1 as some_name

If you see this, then HA has successfully connected to the mosquitto broker.

Does anyone have a feel for how well this works? Particularly with less common Z-Wave items, like locks and thermostats? Like many others, I have Z-Wave woes with HA, and am entertaining ideas to improve the situation. Excluding and re-including all my devices into ST is no small task, so I wanted to poll others’ experiences to see if I can determine how likely I am to have success before actually pulling the trigger.

Hi everyone
I am getting things working now between My SST Hub and HA

I have tried to configure a motion sensor but it doesnt seem to update when the motion sensor is activated.
Here is a snippet from the mosquitto_log
smartthings/HallwayMotion1/motion active
smartthings/HallwayMotion1/motion inactive

This is what I have in my configuration.yaml -
group: !include groups.yaml
automation: !include automations.yaml
zone: !include zone.yaml
sensor: !include sensor.yaml
switch: !include switch.yaml
device_tracker: !include device_tracker.yaml
script: !include scripts.yaml

binary_sensor:

• platform: mqtt
    name: “Hallway”
    state_topic: “smartthings/HallwayMotion1/motion”
    payload_on: “active”
    payload_off: “inactive”
    qos: 0
    device_class: motion

Can someone point out what I am doing wrong please?

Does anyone have a feel for how well this works?

The biggest complaint I have seen is that ST uses the cloud (except for the most common Zwave devices) including the ST-MQTT-Bridge. This can result in 1) delays and 2) non-functionality. For example I have a sensor that turns on a light and this can take from 1 second to as many as 10 seconds. If your internet connection goes down, or the ST cloud servers have gone down you can loose functionality, but I have never experienced this (yet).

As for device support, ST writes “device handlers” that the hub uses to support many common ZWave devices, and there are lots of “device handlers” developed by the community. There is a large community for ST, so chances are you’ll find a device handler for your device. Nevertheless, I always look to see if a device handler has been written for a Zwave device that I’m interested in.

Another problem to be aware of is when a single ZWave device has multiple instances of a function, say multiple buttons, you may find a device handler that supports the multiple buttons but it either can not communicate more than one button to the ST-MQTT-Bridge, or the ST-MQTT-Bridge can’t handle more than one (at least as far as I’ve been able to figure out).