Smartthings Integration Error - Unable to setup the SmartApp. Please try again

Just to add to the previous info, I activated the debug option and it the live log at the ST graph page, it shows:

And, the log at HA shows

just to add a little more insight,

I had an issue last week with my home assistant integration so I had to delete it from HA, here’s what I learned.

1. delete the integration using the configuration>Integrations tool
  2. remove any orphaned entities using the configuration>entity registry tool
  3. use the hass-smartthings-remove tool to remove the home assistant app from SmartThings.
    https://pypi.org/project/hass-smartthings-remove/
  4. reboot Home Assistant and go get a soda
    I am now using Nabu Casa to facilitate this integration and when you get this all set up and working Nabu Casa sets a Web hook. You can see the Web hook in the configuration>Home Assistant Cloud tool at the bottom of the page. Sometimes it takes a reboot to clear the web hook some times it just takes time. The web hook is automatic and cant be manually removed. It will eventually clear, for me this took 10 minutes.
  5. Follow the instructions to setup the integration
  6. When it got to the part where you add the app in the SmathThings app, turn off wifi on your phone. this allowed me to install the app and change the name for the installed app without any errors. this is very important! you need it to go in with no errors. There may be a need to toggle 4g off and stay on wifi. everyone has a slightly different situation. the removal tool does work!

one other thing… I built a vm especially for the removal tool running plain-Jane no GUI Debian with all the python prerequisites.

Good Luck

4 Likes

TKS A LOT!! It was a matter of time only. I did everything again as you suggested, waiting long times between steps and everything is working again!!!

1 Like

that’s great to hear!

Having a related issue, I had this Smartthings integration working fine for a while but have had to start my HASSIO setup from scratch so I am going through this setup process again.

Of course, I can’t find my original Personal Access Token, so I created a new one to run through the setup, when I enter it into the smartthings setup, it takes it and tells me to add the SmartApp and come back and press submit, however when I go into the Smartthings app and try to add the SmartApp there is nothing there to add?

I don’t get an error from Home Assistant, but when I go back and just click Submit, it says please ensure you have installed and authorized the SmartApp, but there is no smartapp to install? I also don’t see an orphaned smartapp in my Smartthings, but can’t figure out how to get it to let me add the smartapp?

Update - I got it working. I had to delete the existing token in smartthings and just create a new one, then it let me add the smartapp

hey, im running HASS.IO with Nabu Casa, however how did you run this?

Thank you !!! I had exactly the same issues, found the removal tool, re-installed, copied the web-hooks to the smarthings file etc. but kept getting stuck at the app install and did not figure out to load the app without Wifi! … WHY does this work over mobile connection and not over WIFI ??

But either way! All back up and running! Thanks again!

1 Like

The key here for me was disconnecting the wifi… as soon as I did the procedure on mobile data, worked straight away… Thank you!

I am left with 4 unused instances of the home assistant app within the myApps section of the samsung classic app… how can I remove these?

Hi! I have a new issue…weird one…I had to replace my SD, restored from snapshot everything and all worked well…for a couple of days…then ST started appearing unavailable all the time in hassio. So, I eliminated the integration, created new token, redo the integration and everything went well. That was yesterday. Today, everything appears unavailable again, and I found a strange notification that stated: Failed attempt to connect from 172.xxx.xxx.xxx I looked into this and found out this is the server that ST uses to send the cloud info. I don’t know what this has to do with anything, but then I remembered that the first time the unavailable problem started to appear, I had a similar notification…so it seems like hassio is blocking ST somehow and that’s why it appears unavailable after some time. Any ideas???

So just ran into the issue of the orphaned apps. How do you run the removal tool? There are no instructions on the website.

1 Like

I have the same issue. I am unable to use the remove tool.
Instructions would be most appreciated.

Same issue for me, I have duckdns now running, the token added to the integration but still showing up that SmartThings can’t approve it.

EDITED for future reference – my synology server has a temporary DNS issue… pointed it to 8.8.8.8 and it worked

My integration was acting up so I deleted it and am attempting to set it back up.

I’ve removed all old instances using the steps from https://github.com/andrewsayre/hass-smartthings-remove

I then did the following

From the ST webpage, Generated token…

From Hass
Configuration / Integration / SmartThings

Confirm Callback URL — returns. "405: Method Not Allowed”
From outside my home, I am able to access the URL when I remove the everything after and including api/… EDIT… I guess this doesn’t actually mean anything?

Enter Access Token / Submit — returns “Unable to setup the SmartApp. Please try again.”
EDIT - my synology server had a temporary DNS issue… pointed it to 8.8.8.8 and it worked

I am brand new to this and need help using the utility. I have home assistant on my raspberry pi and do not know how to run the utility on the device when I am only using a webui

Hello @surge919, thank you very much for your post! But… I am using the standard recommended home assistant installation method on the raspberry as well, so I do not have access tho the Linux console to type something…
I am fighting hard to have it running, can you give me a hand? Thank you!

I also need help running this utility…all of these posts about people asking how to run it, and no responses.

When I had to reinstall Smartthings integration and generate new token etc, I removed the integration from the ui then removed .storage/smartthings and restarted homeassistant, added integration back and all worked.

Just delete your SmartThing account and make a new one, that was the only solution that worked for me.

Here is a video walkthrough on YouTube which helps