So when is OpenZWave (OZW) version 1.6 coming to Home Assistant?

Direct your bug reports here:

OZW is a huge mess of crap. I just got done setting it up. Now Iā€™ve got to go to a separate device to put it into pairing mode or manage any devices at all. I have to have several apps to manage MQTT and ZWAVE. The worst part is these apps are at a low state of development and are little more than development tools. OZW is NOT ready yet unless youā€™re a developer.

Personally, Iā€™m a developer, but I donā€™t want my house to be a development project. It should be using something a bit more stable than OZW.

You donā€™t have to use the OZW (beta).

You can still use the original zwave integration. Itā€™s what I use and have used for the 3 years Iā€™ve used HA.

Itā€™s too late now. My garage door doesnā€™t work anymore and I have several tools required to manage my devices. Iā€™m not re-setting up my 60 devices.

I went into this because I got a SOUND_SWITCH device, which I understood from reading comments, was supported by OZW. It wasnā€™t.

Now, since HA has said they are integrating and it WILL be default in the future, my best option is to stay with OZW and hope for support, or develop it myself. Iā€™m not happy with this decision, but it was made and now Iā€™m going to live with it.

Another factor in switching over is a recent HA release stated this was in beta and encouraged users to try it. Saying OZW is in beta is like saying theoretical physics is in beta and we encourage you to try it. Itā€™s nowhere near ready and calling OZW Beta is an insult to Beta. My experience is pre-alpha at best. It is not ready for testing. Generally the word Beta is used when the developer thinks they have all the major bugs worked out and there are only a few problems left to tackle. During a beta there ā€œmayā€ be user experience issues.

Installing OZW Beta required me to:

1. Install docker
  2. Install an all-in-one docker machine (several times because I wasnā€™t aware of the particulars)
  3. Install an integration
  4. Delete my old integration
  5. Install a separate MQTT server
  6. Attempt to use the built-in OZW admin tool with all itā€™s bugs in way too small of a window size via a web VNC connection without security.
  7. Install OZW admin on my desktop (which replaces the in-app UI)
  8. Search for an MQTT Browser
  9. Get pissed because MQTT Publish isnā€™t being accepted by Home Assistant.

And finally

1. Accept my reality where I canā€™t use my SOUND_SWITCH, and also my Garage Door Cover no longer works, so Iā€™m just waiting and researching.
1 Like

For people using ā€œsupervisedā€ install most of your steps are unnecessary. One could argue that if you are using a non-supervised install method, then you have already bought into the roll-your-own approach because to achieve ANY of the same functionality of any add-on, youā€™d have to do all of the docker stuff.

If you are using a supervised install, then you did it wrong.

And the team has stated they are working on a migration tool.

And finally, the list of devices OZW 1.6 knows about is listed in the github repoā€¦

I installed OpenZWave from the add-on store very early, to test it with a few of my devices, connected to a separate Aeotec stick.
IĀ“ve had NOT ONE PROBLEM with it. My 10 test devices (switches and sensors) work just fine.
So in my opinion, you guys have done a terrific job! Keep up the great work.
Looking forward to the migration tool, so that I can upgrade my network.

Is that within hass.io? I tried hass.io and couldnā€™t use it because I couldnā€™t install command line tools like nmap which is required by an integration to track devices on my network and the add-in wasnā€™t developed yet.

Thank you, @Fishwaldo and @firstof9. The work on OZW is excellent and Iā€™m eager to move to the new platform once itā€™s ready.

I tried it on my home setup and while it works fine, I will be going back to the stock 1.4.

The main 2 reasons are: 1) it looks like I have to migrate every device manually (name them, and connect them to Lovelace UI) and 2) The admin tool does not support Associations which I use a lot in my setup to program special actions (double tapsā€¦)

Once these two items are implemented, I will make the move.

The other great addition to the admin tool would be to implement the more esoteric zwave comments like SCENE_CONTROLLER_CONF which are used to program my scene controllers. That would be net new functionality :slight_smile:

In any case, thank you and keep up the great work!

This is also one of the things I am waiting for - I use associations a lot in my heating setup, especially to ensure that things still work properly if my HA instance is not running for some reason.

Any updates?

Associations work, you just have to use mqtt to perform the associations.
Keep in mind the associations should be at the node level, so moving to ozw shouldnā€™t break that if you already have them set.

1 Like

i cracked so hard at this post! i dont know how much i have been suferring these past 5 days. i have a fibaro smart module FGS214. and i couldnt get tdhe config values because zwave didnt recognized itā€¦ so went on OZWā€¦ ohh my! i am now past 5 days, on 10 fresh HA trying to find a solution to have this operational and still nothing! i am going crazy and doing steps from old posts! your post just made me laugh after 5 days of HELL!!!

I have this device working on my network, whatā€™s your problem? It just pairs normally in the OZW beta.

EDIT: I have the double switch 2, not module.

Iā€™m no longer having any MAJOR issues. The biggest hurdle to tackle is the long startup and adding delays. It can take 5-10 minutes for a single operation like add a device to register. Itā€™s an annoyance but not a killer. Try excluding the device and reincluding it. But trust that everything is working and give it 10 minutes. It also helps to watch the logs in the OZW Admin tool. Install the desktop version.

Well, mine pairs quite well, but what i need to to access the config Values. Its blank because my OZW doesnt recognize the moduleā€¦ im hoping that my Switchs (arribing by mail monday) actually work. i have also the wallis, and those are fine as well.

Are you using hassos?

i have a regular image on my Rasbery pi.

Youā€™ll have to use portianer to access the command line to edit the machine files then. Itā€™s not easy but itā€™s doable.

i dont even know what that means. lol

:slight_smile: i had 5 intensive days on trying to figure outā€¦ and i am a total NEWBIE! im going to rest a bit, return these items and get the ones that you have .

all I have to say, is that I am trully in love with HA and the community! i havent had so much fun, pain and hunger for more in years before this! Petro, thank yoiu for the replies!
Everyday i learn something new! what more can a human want!

1 Like