Universal Solar Inverter over Modbus RS485 / TCP custom_component (Growatt, Sofar, SolaX, Solis)

Thank you. This is my first time doing anything like this so just wanted to make sure! Really hoping that this works!

Thank you. How do you set it up with the windows software, is it by connecting to it by Ethernet? I looked on the wavshare website and they showed a programmer hence why I’m now confused.

Would just like to say thank you! It’s now all working perfectly and I have full access to everything!

One question I do have though, what is the difference between Total Energy and Total Yield?

1 Like

If you get the one displayed on the Wiki I believe the initial setup is done with the software connecting over Ethernet.

I don’t personally own a Waveshare.

1 Like

Hi Will, I’m new to HomeAssistant and Solax but thanks to your incredible work I’ve already got my SK-SU3700e + LG 6,5 kWh battery integrated and am able to control charging. Because I have flex-tariff I would like to be able to sell (at certain hours) more energy than I use in my house. I’ve gone through all menu’s and settings and am coming to the conclusion that the only way to do this is by manipulating the dry-contacts. Is this correct or can this be triggered in software as well? greetings Lars from The Netherlands (first message on this platform)

Have you tried the instructions in the Wiki?
I don’t have a Gen2 automation example yet, but you can manually follow along with the Wiki and see if Export works correctly. SolaX Gen2 & Gen3 Modes of operation · wills106/homeassistant-solax-modbus Wiki · GitHub

1 Like

Thought I would give a summary of what’s been changing in the Pre-release 0.7.0
The custom_component has gone through another code rewrite with the support of @infradom
This custom_component is starting to become a Universal Solar Inverter over Modbus Integration supporting multiple brands of Solar Inverter connecting over RS485 / TCP where supported.

As well as the long standing SolaX support there are varying levels of support for the following Inverters:

• Qcells Q.VOLT HYB-G3-3P
  • Sofar Hybrid HYDxxKTL
  • Sofar Older PV & AC Battery storage ie ME3000SP
  • Solis Hybrid G5

These are in various states of completeness, so please log issues on GitHub with the required information.
This custom_component / Integration will undergo a name change at some point in the future to provide extra clarity it’s not just SolaX focused.

0.7.0 Beta 16 Pre-release

Due to the number of breaking changes in the 0.7.x code it is recommended to remove the Integration from the Integration page before updating, then re add the Integration.

Initial test to confirm new sensor formatting it correct.

If you try this version, please take a screenshot before and after to confirm if the sensors are still correct including the scaling.
Also report back on any debug info in the Log.

Beta 3 Changes:

Moved to plugin_ for Inverter’s
(Only SolaX working at the moment)

Beta 4 Changes:

Added plugin_ for Inverter’s to config flow
Minor changes to SolaX registers in plugin_solax.

Beta 6 Changes:

Improved plugin loading
Updated Sofar Hybrid registers
Added older Sofar PV, AC & Hybrid Registers

Beta 11 Changes:

Update selection options to Support HA 2022.11 #140
Pin pymodbus>=2.5.3", "pymodbus<=3.0.1 Hopefully resolve #154
Further work on Sofar registers.

Beta 14 Changes:

Gen3:
Fixed #174
Adjusted minimum value of number.solax_battery_minimum_capacity_grid_tied

Beta 15 Changes:

Added Solis Hybrid Registers (xxx-5G)

Beta 16 Changes:

Corrected manifest.json preventing Integration from showing in Integration Page.

2 Likes

Please help me with Modbus Integration. I own a Solax X3 Hybrid 8.0E (H3UE08), installed May 2021. I am currently connected via WiFi Pocked and using SolaX Power Integration in HA. I have 45 entities displayed, I think it’s not enough, for example I’m missing the “House consumption” entity that I need for my automation.
There is a question: how to get more (all) entities from the inventor, integration of Modbus in HA and connection via an Enternet or RS845 cable will help.
Sorry for the description of my problem, I’m a beginner.
Thank you very much for your willingness.

As you have a Gen3 Inverter you should just be able to connect via the built in Ethernet.
It’s behind the bottom cover.

You don’t need an RS485 - Ethernet adaptor.

The Pocket WiFi doesn’t expose Modbus, unless you use it in a very insecure way.

Thanks for the advice, yes I will. Will this connection load more entities (more than the current 45)?

On my Single Phase Gen3 I have 117 entities.
You will have more than that with the extra 3 Phase entities, but I can’t remember exactly how many you should have.

Friend, this is very good news for me. I will connect the inventor via a cable to the router. Should I remove the wifi dongle, will Solax Cloud work?

I don’t own a Pocket WiFi so I am not 100% sure.
If it stops working you can connect the Inverter back to the cloud using the registration code on the side of the Inverter. Or if you enable sensor.solax_registration_code_lan (it’s disabled by default) you will see the registration code required.

If you don’t want any cloud connection at all just unplug the Pocket WiFi and don’t register the Inverter on the Cloud website.

The manual says that a wifi module and a LAN connection can be connected at the same time. I’ll try and let you know. Thank you for your help.

One more question, my inventor has firmware: 2.034.03, will it work via modbus integration?

I can’t imagine it not working. I don’t know what Firmware versions are out in the wild.

Hi,
Everything is still working really well, but thanks to the integration I seem to have found a fault in the set up at home. Are you aware of how this works when there is more than one battery in the system?

As things stand I have two 5.8kWh batteries, both serial numbers are visible on the inverter but only one is recording any data, apart from how much is being sent from the grid to the batteries. I cannot control the second battery. As a result it is discharging when it is not meant to, it is also not recorded in any stats (other than energy directed to the batteries when charging overnight).

Is this something anyone could help with? Can it be fixed in Home Assistant or is it something I have to do in the Inverter somehow?

Thanks,

Tom

As SolaX batteries are wired in Series they should act as a Single battery when connected together.
Unless they are on different firmware’s?

Indeed, your battery string voltage should show around 220VDC (each individual solax triple power battery is around 110 VDC)

Interesting, I’ve definitely got an issue somewhere along the line then. I have contacted the installers but I can’t see anything, it didn’t used to do this and it was something that seemed wrong prior to linking it all to Home Assistant. It used to show the full capacity, but something has gone wrong somewhere.

Currently none of the stats add up.